Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented?
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 35 of 47, messages 681 to 700 of 925
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 00:09
I saw the Simpsons on Friday. Better than I expected but not brilliant. About 10 years too late IMO.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 04:12
Is shrek 3 in DVD yet? I really wanna see it but I think its been to long since it came out and isnt in theatres anymore.
< Message edited by emofag -- 5 Aug 07 20:12:30 >
emofag

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 04:15

ORIGINAL: Iad umboros

I saw the Simpsons on Friday. Better than I expected but not brilliant. About 10 years too late IMO.

I heard it was like the south park movie, feels more like 3-4 episodes glued together than like an actual movie. I think I' m gonna pass on it.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 04:45

Is shrek 3 in DVD yet? I really wanna see it but I think its been to long since it came out and isnt in theatres anymore.

No. I visit 2 theaters pretty regularly, as I' m the local movie freak.

I' ve got an Emagine Theater nearby (dunno if you have them in New-York) and I don' t go anywhere else for new movies. The picture is awesome, they' re not re-re-re-re-using movies from weeks ago that look like they' ve been hit with a car. The floors & stuff are all candy/pop free & the sound quality is good.

Then there' s the local dollar theater, the State Wayne, which I support when I don' t feel like spending an upwards of $10 and a 30 minute drive for some cheap entertainment. Anything I' m not sure about, I just wait till it hits there. Everything they get there is secondhand, once it' s cheap I suppose(dunno how the process of buying movies for theater works), so worse comes to worse, I' m out 99 cents & 5 minutes of drive time.

Shrek 3 was okay, but it really didn' t hold a candle to 1 or 2. You can tell that the person writing the screenplay was writing primarily for younger kids, with some intelligent lines tossed in to keep the adults in the theater placated.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 5 Aug 07 20:46:19 >
emofag

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 04:58
I saw the commercial when the gingerbread man tells the bad guy " you' re king of the stupids" and I thought it was funny.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 07:05
Eddie, basically the way most movie theaters work is that they " rent" the print. For first run movies, a large percent of the profits go back to the studios (usually more than 85% of the ticket sales). With dollar theaters, the studios often get around or less than 50%, and that' s why they can charge less for a ticket. Once the print is finished its run, they are sent back to the distribution house (usually Technicolor Entertainment Services). Most prints only have one run, and not all copies of the prints make their way to the dollar theaters. After all is said and done, most prints are destroyed or recycled.

I' ve never heard of the Emagine chain, but that is a really lame name.
emofag

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 07:16
Last time I went to a $1 theater, I saw the crappiest movie in my entire life. It was something about mars, I have no idea, I can' t remember if I fell asleep or if we actually walked out in disgust halfway through the movie.
Joe Redifer

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 06, 2007 12:27
Mars Attacks (directed by Tim Burton with lots of stars and CG aliens)??

Mission to Mars (Starring Tim Robbins and extremely boring)??
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 07, 2007 06:07
Sunshine- Another great Danny Boyle movie. Knownig this is a budget flick I was amazed by what they pulled off. Also this movie is loaded with tension, altho it wears thin towards the end it is a great movie all the way. Go seeit supprt Boyle and his fantastic crew dammit!

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 07, 2007 07:35

Eddie, basically the way most movie theaters work is that they " rent" the print. For first run movies, a large percent of the profits go back to the studios (usually more than 85% of the ticket sales). With dollar theaters, the studios often get around or less than 50%, and that' s why they can charge less for a ticket. Once the print is finished its run, they are sent back to the distribution house (usually Technicolor Entertainment Services). Most prints only have one run, and not all copies of the prints make their way to the dollar theaters. After all is said and done, most prints are destroyed or recycled.

Nifty. Thanks for the insight Joe.

I saw the commercial when the gingerbread man tells the bad guy " you' re king of the stupids" and I thought it was funny.

Yeah, don' t get me wrong, it had some very memorable quotes in it. It was just disappointing compared to the other flicks. 2 especially.
emofag

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 07, 2007 11:19

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

Mars Attacks (directed by Tim Burton with lots of stars and CG aliens)??

Mission to Mars (Starring Tim Robbins and extremely boring)??

Wasn' t mars attacks. Don' t know if it was missing to mars
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 07, 2007 19:25
The Simpson' s Movie.
-like really long episode of the Simpson' s, but never boring. Exactly what it' s supposed to be. No suprises, but not disappointing in the least. " Consistent" is the best word for it, I' d say.

Borat
-I' m glad I didn' t pay for it in the theater, but entertaining. The best stuff is what they cut from the movie, IMO.

Pan' s Labyrinth
- Why can' t American movies be this good? Never mundane or pandering. Sometimes brutal, but the brutality always has a purpose. It' s never just gore for the sake of gore. A brilliant film.

Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 07, 2007 20:57
Bourne Ultimatum.

Not bad. Not as good as Supremacy, but it ties things up nicely.
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 07, 2007 22:15
Hitcher (2006)
- Man, what a crappy remake! They took out all the suspense and replaced it with cheap shocks and gore. This movie is a prime example of what' s wrong with most films these days. This director had no concept of what made the Rutger Hauer version so great.

I' m glad I buy dvd' s at the local place on the buy two, get two free deal. This one I' m counting as a freebie.
Joe Redifer

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 08, 2007 07:29
Watched Tr00 Lies on the spectacular DVD format. The box said " Widescreen" , but it is not anamorphic. Instead the letterboxed video is automatically zoomed to fit my 16:9 screen. Must be an old DVD, as most DVDs these days are tr00 16:9. Well there are still some " full screen" versions of movies. They should not make full screen versions of anything any more.
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 08, 2007 21:37

Well there are still some " full screen" versions of movies. They should not make full screen versions of anything any more.

Some people, like my mother until recently, still don' t know what the difference is. Just a couple of weeks ago she asked me, " Why do you always buy the movies with the black bars?"

Anyway, yesterday I saw The Bourne Ultimatum.
-Nice. Very nice. If only every trilogy wrapped up so nicely. Bourne v.s. the second " asset" (I forget his name) is the best fight scene I' ve ever seen, bar none.

Blood Diamond.
-excellent. I regret missing it in the theaters.
I also regret buying my wife' s engagement ring before this movie came out. If we' d seen this first I could have gotten away with buying CZ easily.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 09, 2007 04:21
" Blood Diamond.
-excellent. I regret missing it in the theaters.
I also regret buying my wife' s engagement ring before this movie came out. If we' d seen this first I could have gotten away with buying CZ easily."

Holy fuck, you' re engaged? Congratulations.
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 09, 2007 06:53
Nah, I' m already married.

Just got back from seeing Hot Rod
-50% Ferrell, 50% Sandler without being quite as good as either. Still, there' s enough giggles in there to make it worth a rental.
Joe Redifer

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 09, 2007 08:24
Saturday Night Live is a non-stop laughter fest. It is always so cutting edge and so HILARIOUS! I can see why they' d want to put someone from Saturday Night Live in a movie. If the movie could harness even 1% of the funny from SNL, then the movie would be a non-stop rollercoaster where you are laughing from beginning to end and by the time the flick is over your lower intestine will be in your throat from laughing so hard. The ratings don' t lie. Almost 100 people around the world watch SNL each week due to its overwhelming hilarity.

PS - Is Bourne Ultimatum the thrill ride of the summer? I won' t see movies that are not non-stop rollercoaster thrill rides of the summer.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 9 Aug 07 0:28:31 >
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Aug 09, 2007 08:54

Saturday Night Live is a non-stop laughter fest. It is always so cutting edge and so HILARIOUS! I can see why they' d want to put someone from Saturday Night Live in a movie. If the movie could harness even 1% of the funny from SNL, then the movie would be a non-stop rollercoaster where you are laughing from beginning to end and by the time the flick is over your lower intestine will be in your throat from laughing so hard. The ratings don' t lie. Almost 100 people around the world watch SNL each week due to its overwhelming hilarity.

The Ferrell/Sandler thing was a reference to the style of the film. It' s like a movie they' d make, and they' re pretty well-known actors with well-established styles. It' s not a Jim Carrey-like comedy or a Robin Williams-like comedy, for example.
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 35 of 47, messages 681 to 700 of 925

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll