Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented?
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 40 of 47, messages 781 to 800 of 925
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Dec 10, 2007 09:24

Just bought Superbad. Saw it 4 times when it was in theaters and it' s still just as funny. Amazing movie.

Did you nab the one with the fake McLovin Hawaii drivers-license, or did those get pulled off the shelves? I heard Hawaii threw a fit.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Dec 12, 2007 06:35

I keep thinking about it since it downloadable on Amazon.com but always get distarcted by somthing else. The main problme is I havent actually had time to sit and watch a movie only listen and glance but since I dont speak Japanese and the movie is in subtitles it creates a bit of a problem.

Im definitly gonna snatch it up the 2nd I have a free day to just lay back relax.

So how was the story? Did it hold up strong thruout? what kinda story was it and all that jazz

Hey sorry I missed your post Mass. I can guarantee you' d really enjoy Tekkonkinkreet. The whole style of the film stands out as unique amongst the rest. It' ll be a timeless classic I' m sure.

I' ve seen it twice, the story focuses mainly around two orphans called Black and White. White is a slightly retarded but innocent kid who stays as an inspiration to Black. Black is the more mature, slightly violent kid who protects White. Then theres the city they live in, the yakuza and random aliens, and everyone refers to the city as their city, including Black. Possessiveness of a material world ultimately tries to split Black and White, and plunge the city into chaos, but harmony prevails. Its a story beautifully and colourfully told.

Also just watched a two part feature length anime called Karas.

The story seems really confusing at first, but thats just because theres a lot of detail in the premise and characters. On the surface its kinda juvenile (in a good way) with swords and planes and superheroes and evil villlains and cats that turn into school girl priestesses and blood sucking demons that have been turned into machines to do the bidding of said evil villains.

But they' ve seemed to pull it off with so much style and elegance, using 3D on 2D animation visually and some very memorable orchestral music, that the whole thing comes together as a distinctly japanese masterpiece.

The undelying story beneath the vampire machines and ancient evils, is about human arrogance, but its done well. However you really have to watch both parts!
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Dec 30, 2007 04:42
I just got back from I am Legend.

Great flick. Worth resurrecting this thread for. Seriously, go see it if you haven' t already.

I saw Alvin and the Chipmunks last week. Best thing I can say is that it doesn' t suck. It' s worth grabbing the nearest kid and catching a matinee show.
And don' t worry, they don' t do anything silly to try to make the premise of the cartoons " believable" or " make sense" . These three chipmunks can sing and everyone just accepts it. That' s refreshing.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Dec 30, 2007 15:17
Shoot ' Em Up. It was pretty sweet.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Dec 31, 2007 16:10

It' s worth grabbing the nearest kid and catching a matinee show.

The last time I tried that I was detained for 48 hours.
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Dec 31, 2007 19:26

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

It' s worth grabbing the nearest kid and catching a matinee show.

The last time I tried that I was detained for 48 hours.

Preferably a kid that KNOWS you

I' m watching Being John Malcovich again. I' d forgotten how wonderfully bizarre this movie was. I' ve always meant to get it on DVD, but somehow I just never did.

Quote from a 105 year-old man: " My spunk to you is like mana from heaven."
Priceless.
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 31 Dec 07 11:29:49 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Jan 05, 2008 17:00
Death Trance
lawllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Jan 05, 2008 19:10
Twilight Zone - The Movie: Special Vic Morrow Decapitation Edition

This movie is better now than it was new because you can look at all of the old actors and laugh at how young they look. The Spielberg story is pretty boring, and the cartoon kid needs a beating. The airplane story is still the best.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Jan 05, 2008 23:45
Not a movie, but " Race to Dakar" is an excellent miniseries on the Dakar Rally. I' d definitely recommend it to anybody who' s interested (even to people who aren' t, I usually don' t like motorsports).

Blades of Glory - lol, whut? It' s the second time I' ve seen it, and I' m still not sure whether I love it or hate it.

Mr. Bean' s Holiday - Far better than any of the critics give it credit for. If you' re a fan of old school Mr. Bean comedy, you' ll probably love the movie. The ending with all the characters lining up on the beach singing was a bit of an odd departure, but I don' t think I' ve seen any musical number of that scale since... like... The Muppet Movie, so it gets credit for that.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 03, 2008 01:01
Cloverfield

Didnt actually want to see this, but had nothing better to do yesterday and my friends were going.

Its like a cross between an episode of Friends, Lost, The Blair Witch Project and Godzilla. Although I liked the last two elements, the first two are a sickeningly colourful combination.

Talking of which the camera angle made me queazy mid-way through as theres a lot of running with the 1st person camcorder-angle catching glimpses of the floor and the sky simultaneously. But if you can stand 30 mins of jumping around waving the mouse crazily in HL2 then you' ll be ok.

Another thing I disliked, was that the majorty of the movie was filled with people shouting " Oh My God!!" constantly in their broadest of New York accents, while the camera is zoomed in on a rock somewhere or the side of someones ear.

And what I couldn' t stand the most is the fact that this was a film primarily targeted at people who are still paranoid about having their ' democratic and free' way of life blown up. Images of 9/11, American flags and most obviously the head of the Statue of Liberty all under fire from an unknown and ' scary' enemy, with American military types shouting " Hoo-rah!" and " Operation Hammertime!" at people.

I can imagine cinema-goers in the US cheering and wooping in their usual slightly disconcertingly enthusiastic way.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 04, 2008 07:50
I saw No Country for Old Men a couple of weeks ago. It' s brilliant, but the ending was an anti climax. Best psycho in a film for a long time.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 04, 2008 08:27

I can imagine cinema-goers in the US cheering and wooping in their usual slightly disconcertingly enthusiastic way.

Didn' t you know, Americans cheer & whoop nationalistic quips 24/7. It' s just thatmost people only hear it in the pirated movie cams.

Juno... Go see it. Go see it right now. Go pay full price, and see it with a friend, girlfriend, wife, someone to laugh with. It' s certainly the best movie I' ve seen this year, no questions asked.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 4 Feb 08 1:02:34 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 10, 2008 08:15
Been running a movie gauntlet since starting the netflix service.

OldBoy: Great movie

Aqua Teen Movie: Same as the show so if you like that then youll get your laughs here

District B13: Parkour put into an action movie produced by Luc Besson. Entertaining and cool to watch. The marital arts is a mix of Jackie Chan creativity with Tony Jaa brutality.

Across The Universe: I like musicals now...then again South Park movie was a musical so I guess I liked them before

Oceans 12: Not as good at 11 and 13 but still fun

Identity: A movie with a pretty good twist.

Lady Vengence: In progress part of the revenge trilogy which includes Oldboy
< Message edited by Mass X -- 10 Feb 08 0:30:26 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 10, 2008 21:01

Identity: A movie with a pretty good twist.

a rule of thumb mass, never say there is a twist
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 10, 2008 21:47

ORIGINAL: Mass X

Aqua Teen Movie: Same as the show so if you like that then youll get your laughs here

I took that one off my list because of the entry requirement. It' s definitely not a introduction to the series type of flick.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 11, 2008 00:00

Superbad

I tried watching this, and suddenly felt so old as the dickless dweebs talked annoyingly about sex, something which they whole heartedly didnt deserver- The first 20 min werent good enough to hold my attention.

How anyone could see it 4 times in the theater is surprising. Maybe im just humorless and old.

I just watched Death Proof though, a movie i find thoroughly funny and entertaining, and the sound track is great. Quentin is great at finding a unique sound for his movies
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 11, 2008 03:01

Lady Vengence: In progress part of the revenge trilogy which includes Oldboy

That' s the last part of the trilogy Mass. Old Boy is the second and Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance is the first. Brutal trilogy this one is.

I just saw Match Point last night for the second time. Man, that' s one slow, yet attention grabber movie.
< Message edited by chimura -- 10 Feb 08 19:05:37 >
nekkid_monkey

RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 12, 2008 23:44
Dragon Wars
Wow, what a piece of crap. It looked like a bad student film. Completely unconvincing CG monsters. Terrible, terrible acting. Nonsense plot. Pretty much everything that could be wrong with a movie was wrong in this one.
It' s worth watching just to see how bad it is.

War
Generic action movie. Nothing spectacular. However whoever cast the movie should be beaten senseless for choosing Devon Aoki.

Balls of Fury
Stupid, but funny. Walken is always entertaining. I kept wishing they' d actually cast Jack Black instead of the Jack Black wannabe starring, but otherwise nothing to really complain about.
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 12 Feb 08 15:49:57 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 13, 2008 05:04

Not a movie, but " Race to Dakar" is an excellent miniseries on the Dakar Rally. I' d definitely recommend it to anybody who' s interested (even to people who aren' t, I usually don' t like motorsports).

Just bought that, I love this and I really really recommend Long way Round and Long way down, I own all of them and all of them are excellant.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: What Movies Have You Recently Seen Or Rented? - Feb 13, 2008 20:34
No Country for Old Men: Awesome movie that would deserve to win the oscar, especially because it features 3 equally strong protagonists.

There Will Be Blood: A bit long, nonetheless great. I am especially stunned by the performance of Daniel Day-Lewis.

Exiled: Your typical heroic bloodshed movie. If you like the genre you' ll like this movie. If not, you should start liking it.

Cloverfield: I expected this to be as shit as Transformers or something and actually it could' ve been that bad because we got close to no story and boring characters. Still, the movie manages to stand out, mostly because of it' s camera-work. So actually, if you hate wiggling cameras, you will loathe Cloverfield. On the other hand if you can watch this for 90 minutes and not feel dizzy or have to puke you are watching one of the best monster movies, ever. (Not counting old Japanese Godzilla movies because that wouldn' t be fair)
Change Page: << < ..31323334353637383940.. > | Showing page 40 of 47, messages 781 to 800 of 925

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll