Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray
Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 8 of 10, messages 141 to 160 of 182
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 16, 2006 21:50
Mark Rein (leading the teams at Epic working on Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 2007), said that the 360 controller was great and that it had no flaws whatsoever.

GC' s right analog stick sucks, and the buttons are cheap. Xbox' s controller S was way better than the original Xbox controller but again the buttons weren' t very good and the plastic they used to make it was horrible. PS2 has the best controller of the previous generation and Sony wouldn' t have had to change it, only make it wireless for PS3, but since they can' t we' ll have to see what they come up with.

I' m interested in the shell for Revolutions controller, i' m hoping it will be similar to GC' s Wavebird.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 16, 2006 23:49

PS2 has the best controller of the previous generation and Sony wouldn' t have had to change it, only make it wireless for PS3, but since they can' t we' ll have to see what they come up with.

How on earth do you get to the fact that the PS2 controller was the best? Its the most terrible iv had the opportunity to play with. Xbox all the way, the GC is good too, but it seems more like a cheap toy.
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 00:11
GC' s controller wasn' t as good as PS2' s. I love my GC but i mean the Dual Analog controller was pretty much perfect really. The Xbox bad (S) was confortable but the triggers weren' t quite right and the black & white buttons didn' y make much sense. the plasic that they used felt cheap and the buttons were too plasticky. It wa a nice controller but PS2' s was better.

The 360 pad is fantasic though and a great improvement on anything that' s gone previously.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 00:28
All of the controllers are great if you just take the time to get used to them. Some of the controllers are less suitable for certain genres, like the GC and FPS since the second analog stick is a little strange. But when it comes to controlling the camera, the c-stick is great. I don' t think the PS2 controller is good for racing games since the L/R-triggers aren' t as deep as the GC/Xbox which makes it harder to control the acceleration. But it' s the best controller for fighting games. THe GC controller is defenately best for plattformers like Zelda and similar.
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 00:34
PS2' s buttons were analog sensitive though so were perfect for driving games, hence X and Square generally being accelerate and brake respectively.

It also depends on personal preference.
ginjirou

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 00:36
Sure the PS2 buttons were analog but you had to do so incredibly tiny movements on those buttons. It was much easier on the Xbox and GC controllers with their deep L/R-triggers.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 00:44
As far as current gen 1st party controllers go, I' d have to say that by far my favorite is the Nintendo Wavebird.. We' re getting married and you' re all invited!!

I have some major issues with the Xbox and PS2 controllers.. Everything on the Dual Shock 2 feels nice EXCEPT for one FATAL flaw, the d-pad.. I' m a d-pad guy, I' ve always liked d-pads more than analog controls and I despise the Dual Shock 2' s d-pad with every fiber of my being. The same goes for the D-pad on the PSP and PSOne. The Xbox controller on the other hand, argh, where do I start? I always forget about the two buttons on the bottom right, it' s the only controller that I' ve found myself looking down at sometimes just to remember/locate those two annoying buttons. The face buttons are also a bit too small. The analog stick feels nice and SOFT though..

As far as next-gen controllers go, it may be a bit premature but from what has been shown so far, my future favorite is looking to be either the Xbox360 controller OR the Revolution controller. From the pictures shown of what may be the PS3 controller, it appears as if Sony can' t seem to shake that stupid d-pad design so we' ll always have issues on that end.
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 00:54
Yeah the D-pad on the PS2 sucked ass, and the GC' s D-pad was too small. Buy the PSP suffers form the D-pad problem too, which is why Capcom are packaging a clip-on D-pad cover that will make Street Fighter 3 more playable.

The 360 controller is great, and i agree that driving games were better played on the Xbox' s S controller using the triggers.

I would definately hope that Sony comes up with something good for PS3. They have a fair amount to live up to now, especially with Nintendo mixing things up. The shell for Rev' s controller had better be based on the Wavebird though, it was the best way to play anything on GC.
ginjirou

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 01:43
I think the Saturn d-pad is the best ever. But there were to kinds of officiall controllers released and I don' t know which is which.
About the Wavebird, does it have the rumble feature? I' ve heard that it doesn' t have that and if it doesn' t, does it affect how you enjoy the games?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 17 Jan 06 9:44:17 >
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 02:44
Yeah there' s no rumbling present since it would have severely diminshed the controllers battery life. It' s a great pad though and feels more solid. Superb little wireless controller!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 03:53
first off, who remembers when dvd' s first got big, remember the price tag, hundreds and hundreds, now you can pick em up for 35 at wal-mart. my controller pick would be a frankenstein of all controllers, it would have the x-box triggers, but with that little click at the end like the gamecube. there would be symmetrical analog sticks just because i grew up on dualshock, with L1 and R1 above said triggers. but i don' t see how sony & microsoft find it in themselves to B**ch about this crap. see, i got all excited when sony said that blu-ray would (most likely) be region free, but no, now they' ve gotta get compatibility issues with the 360. so in the end, i think it' s gonna end up like this. grandparents who buy x-mas gifts for the spoiled 9 yr olds are gonna get the 360, " it' s only 300$, and graphics dont matter, right?" . gamers with too much money will buy both super-kits with everything. smart people like me stay neutral, save up for a ps3, just to sell it on ebay for 900 on opening night to have both options. and most of us, will wait for the price tag to drop, to see which way the wind blows.
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 05:16
Huh?!

Er, ...ok!

Y' know Sony are planning on making it so that games are only playable on the console that it' s fist read on don' t you?! Making 2nd hand PS3 games an impossibility.

Not only have yet yet to fit the tech planned for PS3 inside the EMPTY shell displayed at CES, but they can' t even get a decent problem free medium together since Blu-Ray is currently having loads of issues that need ironing out.

Blu-Ray will never be region free, at least not for films!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 05:19

know Sony are planning on making it so that games are only playable on the console that it' s fist read on don' t you?! Making 2nd hand PS3 games an impossibility.

Sony denied this, it was speculation over a patent they filed. They know id be commercial suicide! though Katuragi wouldnt be beneath it!
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 05:43

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

know Sony are planning on making it so that games are only playable on the console that it' s fist read on don' t you?! Making 2nd hand PS3 games an impossibility.

Sony denied this, it was speculation over a patent they filed. They know id be commercial suicide! though Katuragi wouldnt be beneath it!

They would though. They need to keep people from buying 360' s at the moment and such action would sway loads of people in Microsofts direction since they' re already on the market.

Ken Kataguri himself is listed among the inventors, which makes it look like this is a move that came from very high up. Look at the whole Sony BMG Music Entertainment scandal surrounding their digital rights management (DRM) software which is already in use.

I wouldn' t say it was too far fetched at all!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 08:47
It' s KUTARAGI :)

The truth is Sony is working on a good solution to stop piracy - and that' s why blue ray has a lot of supporters - cause HD DVD crew didn' t offer anything satisfying for Movie Companies.They already developed a couple of great protection systems for blue ray and for many it' s their only advantage but huge one to be sure.

I' m still not sure if they can make Discs as big as they said since the only ones who say they can' t are people from MS.

So many lies and shit - I' ll just wait and see I guess :)
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 08:58
My bad, you' re right, ...KUTARAGI.

Blu-Rays anti piracy solution is impressive, and i can see why people are interested, but it' s the whole DRM shit that worries me.

]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 09:27

There was more - if you played a preowned game your laser would die - that' s what they said

-well you have to be seriously fucked up to even come up with that kind of idea
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 17 Jan 06 17:28:37 >
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 09:46
Really?!

Wow, that is seriously bad. I don' t think they' d risk it though, i mean i wouldn' t put it past them ecspcially considering the Sony BMG DRM thing. But it would be commercial suicide like you said.

Even thinking about it though show' s what they' re really interested in, and it certainly isn' t providing a welcome experience for the gamer.
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 09:52
yeah i remmeber that there is a patent that says that. But Sony said months later that " we have no yet decided what kind of security to put in the PS3" after all the backlash they got from it.

Also i think the Blu-ray security thing i read about is STUPID, you need to conencted to the internet just to watch a movie and it has to verify that the movie is legit and if ti fails it wil FRY your player. SO what if there is a scratch and it thinks it' s not legit and frys even though it is legit or what if you havea faulty player and it frys on the first movie that would suck.
Nitro

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 17, 2006 10:45
Faulty??? Noooooo!!! For $500 i expect the thing to work PERFECTLY.

I think they were probably considering it but decided against it. We' ll see though, we' ll definately see!
Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 8 of 10, messages 141 to 160 of 182

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message