Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray
Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 4 of 10, messages 61 to 80 of 182
KiLLeR

• Total Posts : 314
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 10, 2006 12:22
I hope Samsung will be able to make a dual-mode player, I mean it would suck if I had to buy a blu-ray player just to watch some movies on my tv, and a hd-dvd player to watch others. I' ll just go and download them I guess.

BTW, Majikdra6on, how about those anime u were talking about. I' m in serious need of anime.

Bishonen, I was introduced to anime with The Fist Of The North Star. GODDAMN, those series were sooooooooooooooo good, soo much gore, and the story. Have u seen the OVAs? they' re sick. How about Cowboy Bebop? Do u guys like that? I reallyt enjoyed it cuz it was kind of different, had a cool style to it.
How about Lupin III, Man that was crazy,now that I remember, it was the first anime series I saw, then it was The Fist Of The North Star.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 10, 2006 13:31

KiLLeR Have u seen the OVAs? they' re sick. How about Cowboy Bebop? Do u guys like that? I really enjoyed it cuz it was kind of different, had a cool style to it. How about Lupin III

..." OVAS" ... do you mean " Urotsukidoj: Legend of the Over-Fiend" ? ..I' ve already said that they are arguably my all time favourite anime films ever.... ....i nearly died of laughter the first time i saw them... ...you can tell that the creators truly DID NOT GIVE A FLYING MONKEY' S @$$ about censorship and legality laws... probably why it was almost banned in Japan when it was first released....

...hey, i think i remember seeing a newer episodic collection of FOTNS ... any good? i got the impression that it was the same story just told in parts or somthin' ....

...i didn' t bother with Cowboy Beebop as it didn' t seem all that interesting to me... and i I' ve never heard of Lupin III... ..what' s it like?

.... ever saw " Vampire Hunter D" ? ..i always wanted a sequel of that film.... ..chances are they probably did in Japan, just never bothered to release them here....

...goddam, i hate kiddie-anime ..that' s why it' s so crap for us in the west these days... say anime and they think Yu-Gi-Oh..
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 10, 2006 17:26

do you mean " Urotsukidoj: Legend of the Over-Fiend" ? ..I' ve already said that they are arguably my all time favourite anime films ever.... ....i nearly died of laughter the first time i saw them... ...you can tell that the creators truly DID NOT GIVE A FLYING MONKEY' S @$$ about censorship and legality laws... probably why it was almost banned in Japan when it was first released....

LOL, that one almost left a mental scar with me when I first saw it back in the mid-90s! The version I saw was supposedly titled, " Legend of the Demon Womb" but I always thought it was probably the same as ' Legend of the Over-Fiend' . Someone at work had loaned it to me and didn' t tell me what to expect, and I had never experienced ' Hentai' anime before that point. Get home, put the tape in, stood there and almost dropped my cup while watching the opening sequence!

Next shocker of an anime I saw was one I actually rented from Hollywood Video. I think it was called " Twin Goddess" . It had living plants, a mad scientist, and of course, gurls.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 10, 2006 18:58
LOL!!!

The ..Urotsukidoji series runs to 6 parts with Legend of the Overfiend being part 1 and Legend of the Demon Womb being part 2. The rest suck.

Can you imagine the reactions it got in 89 when it was released in Japan?! Ha, it was banned for a while then highly censored for years. But the tentacles combined with nubile schoolgirls and rape scenes became REALLY popular over there.

Anyone see the Appleseed remake?! I got the DVD and thought it was terrible. Innocence is better (though another that doesn' t make much sense).

Nothing beats; Blood: The Last Vampire, Ghost In The Shell (original feature), 3x3 Eyes, Akira or Paranoia Agent, ...although Bleach and Samurai 7 come close.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 02:32
Don' t you think this Hayao Miyasaki guy has made some good animes?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 11 Jan 06 10:33:16 >
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 05:33
yeah i loved his movies.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 07:22
Princess Mononoke
Ghost in the Shell (My favourite)
Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell 2 : Innocence (incredible if you loved GITS)
Steamboy (another one I just love :) )

Series : Gungrave (fantastic story it just rox) - 1st episode is kind of low but since ep 2 till 26 it' s 100% awesome.

Anyone could give some more titles?
I' d rather watch an awesome anime movie than the " normal" blockbuster.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 10:46
Not mentioning any big-screen movies. Or TV-series that are to unknown to be found.
Rurouni Kenshin is great.
The TV-series is OK. The targeted audiance is older teens (I believe) so it doesn' t really have the same mature attitude as some other animes but it' s still worth watching. I think Cartoon Network in the U.S. is showing it. Might seem a little childish at first but it should keep adults entertained to.
The OVAs (Older audiences targeted) however are great. In fact, they are amazing if you like samurai and themes based on japanese history. You might find some parts a little slow if you' re in to action but the slow scenes have their purposes. To get the most of this you should see the TV-series to.
I also like Tenjou Tenge. The manga was great mostly thanks to the great artistic work, but the anime works to since it keeps the coolness from the manga.
Fighting is in focus in the series. It slightly reminds about the Korean movie " Volcano High" if you have seen that one.
One of my favourites is Berserk. Big guy, big sword, big enemies, slaughter. Not much else to say about that one.
My biggest anime disappointment is Final Fantasy Unlimited. It' s not worth the FF name.
And btw, this doesn' t have anything to do with anime but if you like fighting/kungfu movies then you have to see the thai movies " Ong-Bak" and " Tom Yum Goong" . Story, actors and dialogue sucks but the choreographed fights are unlike anything you have ever seen. It' s fast, brutal, muay thai bone bashing. Tony Jaa is great.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 11 Jan 06 18:56:42 >
Terry Bogard

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 10:52
The ones I loved are pretty ancient but they are:

1. A.D. Police Files 1, 2, and 3 (OLD AnimEigo versions)
2. Bubblegum Crisis (The old AnimEigo versions)
(Basically EVERYTHING that dealt with the Bubblegum Crisis world when the series was under the AnimEigo label.. i.e. Bubble Crash, AD Police, Hurricane Live, etc.)

3. Crying Freeman series
4. Devil Hunter Yohko
5. Fatal Fury 1, 2, and The Motion Picture
6. Riding Bean (To my knowledge, and from searching around, I noticed that they only made one friggin episode! Hopefully I' m wrong and someone corrects me!)
7. Kekko Kamen (This is a pretty FUNNY one. I can' t tell whether this one is classified as ' Hentai' since it' s filled with comedy involving a female super hero who wears a mask and nothing else! But there' s nothing really hardcore about many of the scenes.)
8. Kabuto
9. Windaria (I believe it was rereleased in the U.S. as " Once Upon a time" . I damn near cried after watching this!)
10. Battle Angel (Such a depressing end)

My most hated ones are:
1. Devil man
2. Giant Robo (GOD I friggin hated that kid' s voice!!)
3. The Dagger of Kamui
4. (I can' t say since I' ll get hunted down by purist and fans alike)
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 11 Jan 06 18:56:21 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 16:20
hey everyone sorry to change the subject but did anyone else read these stories?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/10/sony-to-delay-ps3/
Yesterday, we reported on a PS3 developer' s inquiry about the lack of completed systems. Now, according to UK based The Inquirer, the PS3 machines featured at CES last week were empty. In response to the optimistic stance that Sony can still deliver a completed system by this year' s E3, the article contends: " Sources have told us that this rosy scenario is at odds with the work going on right now, expect debugging to go on for quite a while yet. Add minimum 4 months to the end date, and you have a possible release time. The long and short of it is, don' t expect a PS3 before E3, and even that is a very long stretch."

Granted, this is still all speculation and nothing will be final until Sony announces an official release date. But if true, let' s hope the creator of the Playstation can work a miracle and deliver the next-gen console on time.

Gamepro is also showing the article and then there is this one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/01/11/cnn-predicts-ps3-will-launch-for-500/
While nothing we haven' t predicted before, CNN' s resident gamer Chris Morris is taking an educated guess at the possibly delayed PlayStation 3' s price: $500. In talking to various developers and analysts, $500 was the expected price, though a few developer estimates ranged as low as $400 and as high as $700.

Chris Morris' article, as it is published by CNN, will reach a more mainstream audience than those who frequent gaming sites, and many parents may be turned away by what they perceive is just an expensive toy for their kids. If Sony is to keep the price at $500, they will need to actively market their console as an entertainment center the entire family can enjoy. As for the $700 prediction by one developer? Let' s just hope they' re wrong.

Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 18:17
Sorry Majikdra6on, but I thought the new Appleseed was awesome. Some of my favorites:

Ninja Scroll
Goldenboy
GITS
Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture
Battle Angel

As far as " newer" anime is concerned:

Appleseed
Tenjho Tenge
Samurai Champloo
Grenadier

Back on subject:
Chee Saw

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 11, 2006 18:18

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

...forgive me Mr. Saw...

...i should of known that you PC girls would be incapable of matching a Graphics, Video and Style powerhouse that is Apple...

I, also, have that movie (looks damn good too, doesn' t it!) and, yes, it does play in a non-apple pc. Actually, the codec that is used on that disc is the one from Microsoft' s windows media player.

That movie is in high-def, but is not on HD-DVD. It' s on a regular DVD! It just goes to show that, with the proper codec, a standard dvd can do amazing things (just what Microsoft is saying as far as the games on 360 are concerned). Now, that movie is 90 minutes (an hour and a half) and there are NO extras on it. The movie studios WILL need more space for a 2 hour affair, with multiple language tracks and behind the scenes crap, or whatever. Seeing as how a double layer dvd (Island Fever 3) holds about 9GB and a single layer HD-DVD holds 15GB, it should do quite nicely.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 04:02
Nah, the Appleseed remake sucked ass, i much prefer the original. I' m not a huge fan of the technology they used to make it, it' s almost cell shading but you can tell they' re just basic 3D models underneath.

Now GITS: Innocence was a technological masterpiece, even if the plot sucked. Gimme full 2D annimation that' s been done to such a high standard that they can make you believe it could be 3D over cheap and rushed 3D models painted with bright colours!

And it' s like i said about PS3, IGN heard they hadn' t even managed to make all of the components fit inside the shell yet. It' s probably nothing to worry about though, the only thing that can happen is that it gets pushed back to next year. I' m waiting to see what they do with the controller more than anything...

Terry, ...what was number 4??!!
Chee Saw

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 08:50

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Terry, ...what was number 4??!!

I bet it' s Akira!

If it is, Terry, then I should tell you that in the newest release of the movie, apparently there was a retranslation done, and a lot of critics are praising it. It is extremely odd for anime fans to approve a retooling of a " classic" , so it MUST be alright!
Bishonen

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 10:02

Chee Saw That movie is in high-def, but is not on HD-DVD. It' s on a regular DVD! It just goes to show that, with the proper codec, a standard dvd can do amazing things (just what Microsoft is saying as far as the games on 360 are concerned). Now, that movie is 90 minutes (an hour and a half) and there are NO extras on it. The movie studios WILL need more space for a 2 hour affair, with multiple language tracks and behind the scenes crap, or whatever. Seeing as how a double layer dvd (Island Fever 3) holds about 9GB and a single layer HD-DVD holds 15GB, it should do quite nicely.

....I was wondering about that.....

...so, it' s still the standard red laser DVD in my Mac.... ...damm...

...Question:... ..for the HD movies that need it, why not just release them on multiple disks?... ..or work on improving your compression technology as was mentioned earlier in this thread?.... ...must be cheaper too, than having to create a whole new format, machines, marketing etc....

...PS ..if you guys want to talk Anime, check out the tread i created in in the Movies section.....
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 11:03
with compression and dual layer,you will still be able to mayby put in 10-12 gb at max.
With blueray,you got 5 times more then that...
The technology isn' t bad O_o
Yeah sure it doesnt bother me at all having 5 disc and changing etc...lol i doubt one game will be 50 gb in this gen or next or next after that though O_o
But anyway,being able to put in game library in that is just sick.
Im pretty sure that in one blue-ray you can put in all FF games,all n64 games,and all snes/nes and a new ps3 game.
So its not bad :)
What if NR had this technology,can you imagien all nintendo games on 1 disc?
Terry Bogard

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 11:08

I bet it' s Akira!

If you were in Vegas you' d be teh Winner!!
Yes it is Akira.. Considered the all-time classic Japanimation film, Akira has always been praised for it' s superb art direction and animation. Which I agree still looks pretty damn good even by today' s standard. BUT the movie moved at such a plodding pace, I just felt the execution could have been much better..

If it is, Terry, then I should tell you that in the newest release of the movie, apparently there was a retranslation done, and a lot of critics are praising it. It is extremely odd for anime fans to approve a retooling of a " classic" , so it MUST be alright!

To tell you the truth I don' t see how a retranslation can have a major effect on a film, if we' re just talking about the dialogue. Now if they re-edited and reworked some parts of the film that' s another story.. I' m also wondering whether those critics were already fans of the original version and are just even more in love with the retranslation. Did any of them dislike the original version for reasons other than dialogue/translation?

In any event, if this updated Akira comes my way I' ll definitely check it out to see whether I was just too young to fully appreciate the original
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 12 Jan 06 19:11:27 >
Bishonen

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 12:48
...i doubt anyone has a problem with changing disks... ...80% of DVD extras are boring at best anyway...

...and considering how 360 games are also on standard DVD' s why are they even bothering with a format change?....

...we' re still waiting to find out the exact power of PS3.... but it' s games cant really need 50 gig can they?.....

...it looks to me that they' re just looking for excuses to bleed us of cash....

...and why do 360 games cost more than xbox games?...
Phoenixxx1974

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 12:55
my guess is that developing for the X360 costs more plus they are supposedly in high def. Also developing for the power the 360 has (triple core CPU and the new ATI graphics card) might be harder plsu the DVDs on the X360 are DVD9' s which holds twice that of a normal dvd. instead of 4.7 it' s 9.4 so those might cost a bit more to make.
Bishonen

RE: HD-DVD versus Bu-Ray - Jan 12, 2006 13:21
...surely development costs have nothing to do with media formats.....

...COD:2 is the only 360 game to use more than one core (2)... ..although i don' t know if that includes DOA4...
Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 4 of 10, messages 61 to 80 of 182

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message