Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Who hasn' t played Crysis? / Did Crytek hit their GDC 2006 trailer target? / All videos added to OP
Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 61 to 80 of 101
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 21, 2008 21:54
I' ve been using Vimeo since it launched. Great site.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 21, 2008 22:13
It looks it. A collegue recommended it when i was complaining about a lack of sites that offer HD video streaming. There' s no point in watching videos of a game like Crysis if the quality is awful.

The files i put up for download are better quality than the streaming videos on Daily Motion and Gamevideos, but Vimeo will let me upload the H.264 encoded versions of the original files - so almost no image quality loss.

Ther reason i' ve kept this thread alive is because people have been downloading the videos i uploaded to Rapidshare. Like 6GB worth in the last couple of days. Plus, it has a lot of hits so i suspect we have quite a lot of lurkers on the forum.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 21, 2008 23:05
Rampage99

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 21, 2008 23:07
I just installed that new NVidia driver and wow, what a huge difference. I can now play the game with everything set to very high and still have playable framerates at 1680x1050 (before everything could be on very high except for shaders and post processing, I could only have one of those on very high). I' ll probably stick with the mod however as it still gets a vastly better framerate with almost the same level of quality (minus the motion blur... which I have to figure out how to enable with the mod).
Nitro

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 00:04

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

I just installed that new NVidia driver and wow, what a huge difference. I can now play the game with everything set to very high and still have playable framerates at 1680x1050 (before everything could be on very high except for shaders and post processing, I could only have one of those on very high). I' ll probably stick with the mod however as it still gets a vastly better framerate with almost the same level of quality (minus the motion blur... which I have to figure out how to enable with the mod).

Yeah the new drivers greatly improve the performance and the CCC mod is fantastic. I don' t like the custom time of day settings though so i haven' t got them enabled.

I really like the look of the natural mod though, so i' ll probably have a look at that at some point.

As a side note, getting back to the pre-release stuff being far superior to what we ended up with... well, have you guys seen what you can do with the Sandbox Editor?

The engine is more than capable.
< Message edited by nitro -- 21 May 08 16:26:08 >
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 00:06
Crysis will be purchased next week, once I get my replacement Mobo.
Nitro

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? / Did Crytek hit their GDC 2006 trailer target? - May 22, 2008 08:16
Re-purposed thread to incorporate another question that i want to open up to the rest for you guys.

You' ve all seen the GDC 2006 jungle trailer/demo that Aba has been talking about. Those of you that have played the game, and the rest of you who have seen the millions of screens i' ve posted... what do you think? In terms of technology, did they match, exceed or fall short of that trailer?

As a catalyst for this discussion, here is a high quality video i' ve uploaded on Vimeo for streaming and it' s accompanying 1690 x 1050 screens - taken from a custom map made to enable as true a comparison as possible...

Note: there' s no combat in this video, but i do mess about with the physics and trees. I have recorded a combat video which i' ll upload later, but i just wanted to do the environment first.

I may attempt to capture in HD as Vimeo supports 720p web streaming, but i suspect that Fraps will have too negative an effect on the framerate. I' ll see what i can do.

JUNGLE VIDEO

ORIGINAL: alijay034

What graphics card are you running?

Rampage99

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 08:25
I think the game came out better looking than the tech demo. The tech demo had a more plastic feel too it and I think the final version got rid of that. The game is just visually breathtaking and stomps on everything else out there.

Btw, Nitro, did you make that test level?
Nitro

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 08:52
No, i got it from Crymod. There are a couple of different versions.

2ND JUNGLE VIDEO

I' m going to try HD now.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 08:55
you got me faking excited nitro over these pics , now THAT' S WHAT I' M TALKING ABOUT, hell yeah look at those graphics , i can' t fucking believe this is running real time, wtf did you do nitro ? what did you got those pictures from because it sure doesn' t look at all like the pics you showed me a couple of days ago... those look and in some areas exceed what was shown before, everything is damn amazing , AA, textures , colors , see the colors man ? those are not washed out like on the other pics you showed ? holy shit i want a 8800 GTX now !

so where did you get that from , if that' s you laptop, what are the options that you enabled and made this vast improvement, that would be very interesting to know.
Nitro

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 09:05

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

so where did you get that from , if that' s you laptop, what are the options that you enabled and made this vast improvement, that would be very interesting to know.

No, it' s my desktop. It' s a custom map built in the Sandbox Editor that comes with the game. I got it from Crymod Portal. I' m using the same config file i have been using for months - it' s the map that kicks ass.

I' m running an overclocked 8800 Ultra at home, but the 8800 GT i have at work runs it on the same settings with no problems. The NVIDIA drivers released last week have done wonders for the game' s performance and i use an easily installed custom config file to enable Very High settings in DX9.

The map is sweet, and i have a couple more to check out this weekend. I' ll post whatever screens i take.

I' m currently uploading a 720p video of this environment so you can stream it. Lets hope it works properly.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 09:26
what do you mean by a map? a map change the setting enviroment of the game , but it can' t enhance the AA , lighthing and textures or colors ! ok you' re saying that' s a different computer and therefore with your kickass card you could enable this very high quality graphic , but why didn' t you say that earlier when i said the retail version does not look as good as the pre release stuff ? why didn' t you say that some options were off which made the game look crap in some areas ?

all those pics you' re showing in this page destroy the ones you showed some days ago, look at the textures on the plant who are u kidding man? look at that lighthing and that very high AA, that should mean one thing , again my question is , be it a map or not it should not matter because i' m not talking about the design , what are the options on that graphic menu that made the game look this good in comparison to what you showed first ?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 09:52
Hey nitro do your settings allow material transparency such as the leaves? Thats one feature of dx10 I would miss from the original E3 vids.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 22 May 08 1:54:54 >
Nitro

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 09:56
No no, none of my settings are different. You can' t enable AA in Crysis and run it at that resolution. It' s incompatible with the edge AA that gets applied by default to the foliage.

My laptop is running 2 x 8800M cad in SLI and is almost as powerful as my desktop and it runs this map just as smooth.

Crysis is highly tweakable. Rampage and i are both using a custom config file that allows DX10 features while running DX9. The game' s very high setting is only available in DX10, but you can tweak the config file to enable it in DX9. We run it in DX9 because you get a better framerate.

This map isn' t in the retail version of the game. It was created by a modder who posts at Crymod.com. It was built in the Sandbox Editor that comes with the game. The same thing all of the physics videos (like the 10,000 barrel one) were created in. You download the map and launch it either from the game by using a code in the command window or by using the Crysis Launcher.

The only things different about this map are the colour palatte, lighting and standing mist that were customized by the guy who created it. I haven' t had to touch my settings or anything like that.

Look at these two screens. They' re the exact same area but using different lighting settings.

Anyway, here' s the HD video i just uploaded:

JUNGLE HD

I don' t know why Crytek didn' t do this kind of stuff themselves. Probably because they thought it would bt too taxing on the hardware.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 11:07
Hmm its just for some reason I remember seeing concept vids of sunlight passing through one of those palm leaves and getting scattered and diffused naturally.

All current videos of the game show light bending around leaves but not filtering through them if you see what I mean.

Can' t for the life of me find the original concept videos though! Might have been imagining things (again).

This was the first video that impressed however - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/9020.aspx?type=

I feel as thought the game has lived up to the concept in most areas, but doesn' t look quite as smooth and soft as you say.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 11:12
I think the engine is more than capable of doing what was seen in the GDC vids. Crytek probably realized that they' d have to scale things back for any sort of acceptable performance at the time of release.

Weren' t there rumors of a ' Maximum' graphics setting being possible, but Crytek has not yet made it available? Future patch maybe?
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 11:22
Yo nitro can you send me you account info . I wanted to download the files you have to show my friend that don' t have the net. I just bought a 4 gb jump drive so I can take them over my friends house and convert them into believers.
Rampage99

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 13:10
Nitro, do you have motion blur turned off? I' m trying to figure out how to enable it with the mod.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? / Did Crytek hit their GDC 2006 trailer target? - May 22, 2008 15:28

ORIGINAL: Nitro

ORIGINAL: alijay034

What graphics card are you running?

Will be running dual 88 GT' s . Not prepared to give them up yet for a 96 or 98 just yet.
Nitro

RE: Who hasn' t played Crysis? - May 22, 2008 16:24

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Nitro, do you have motion blur turned off? I' m trying to figure out how to enable it with the mod.

Yeah, and depth of field. It' s a stylicstic preference though. If you want them on then just make sure you have r_motionblur = 1 and r_depthoffield = 1 ( or 2 depending on required strength) in you config file.
Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 4 of 6, messages 61 to 80 of 101

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message