Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD gaming. How does it help?
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 64
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 10:03
You' d think this would go under " Everything Else" , but follow me here for a sec.

I was surfing around my favorite electronics website, & found this baby:

The Linky It' s 20.5 inches, Widescreen, and 180 bucks, & I think it' s going to become my latest impulse purchase. so here' s my " Videogames" related question. How much does HD affect your gaming? & how? I' ve heard the clearer crisper images stuff from every showfloor attendant around, but I want to know from you guys, what' s the advantage?
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 26 Nov 06 2:43:53 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 22:09
The difference between 480p and 720p/1080p is startling. When i first played GRAW in 720p i was surprised to find that i could see details that weren' t visible in 480p. Textures in the lower resolution blended together and things like the blue light reflecting of Mitchell' s cheek were much more apparent.

In some games it won' t make all that much difference, but for games like GRAW, Gears, Double Agent, Oblivion etc it makes a world of difference. I honestly would never go back and Gears has even made me doubt Wii...

The VGA AV connector allows for these resoltions; 640×480, 848×480, 1024×768, 1280×720, 1280×768, 1280×1024, 1360×768, and 1920×1080, so you' d be limited to 720p and wouldn' t be able to use 1080p. That doesnt matter though as the vast majority of us, and people in general are playing in 720p anyway.

The nonitor has a good contrast ratio and fast response time (anything lower than 8ms is good, and Locopuyo' s is 3ms!!! ). For that price it' s a bargin and i would definitely reccommend it. You' ll just need the VGA cable and some speakers for audio (obviously).
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 22:28
For PC gamers this is really old news..

HD on for 360 games is no more than an visual thing.. youll still playing the game like any other non HD console but with higher resolution

Youll still playing most games at 30fps at 60hz and still with the limited control scheme.. and mostly auto-aim (so precise pixel perfect shooting is not important/not needed).

PC owners have been use to these high resoutions, but with much better contrast @ 60-100hz+ and 30-100fps+..

Obviously ' visual' detail is gona look much better if your used to console SD/480p gaming.. And obviously you want your games to look at good as possible.. so go for it BABY!!
Nitro

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 22:44
PC gamers are an archaic and dying breed. The next generation of consoles will finish you all off for good!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 22:47
Actually other than making everything look three times better it is mandatory if you want to be competative in online FPS' s. Not only is detail clearer (which helps seeing distant objects ) but you also get peripheral vision.

The difference probably won' t shock you (especially if you get a cheap HD tv) but going back to SD tv is intollerable once you play on HD.

It' s not only the fact that there are more pixels but you have more screen space (widescreen). As I mentioned earlier its much easier to nail your enemy if you can see him. People who are plying on Live with HD have a huge advantage over SD users. I will go so far as to say that the best player always has HD, while the worst always has SD.

Its funny I keep hearing people cry where did he shoot me from? from you side you poor bastard!

All HD does is bring TVs to a comparable level with PC monitors, you already are used to a resolution that trumps your television. It won' t be this paradise, more like a cure to the torture of SD.

PC gamers are an archaic and dying breed. The next generation of consoles will finish you all off for good!

MS neglected PC gaming for a long time but with DX10 eliminates most of the bottlenecks the most powerful platform has and a new marketing strategy (ie,a new logo and having the same sort of self space at retailers that console games enjoy) PC gaming is far from dying. More like its being re-established to its former glory. PC has always been first, a console is essentially a stripped down budget priced PC designed only for gaming. Don' t ge me wrong I need both PC and console gaming because each is better for certain types of games. IMO with the new image for PC games and rising costs for console games the line between consoles and PC gaming is going to become smaller and the differences between the two won' t matter as much.

If MS can make controller support a standard choice for devs to use PC gaming can grow like crazy. I mean the games do support controllers but no game needs it. MS needs to make an official controller for PC, maybe just make the 360 controller standard.

If the world isn' t big enough for console and PC gaming, well people are still going to buy PCs. It' s the console market that has to try so hard just to compete with PC and eachother no less.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 26 Nov 06 15:25:43 >
f3hunter

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 23:18

Lol isnt that supposed to be this generation of conoles??

funny thing is, now with full diect X 10 (not like 360s excuse) and mega powerful GPU' s and multi-core CPu' s.. PC gaming will rise even bigger.

Anyway..

Yes.. after HD gaming (even console 60hz, pad gaming) there is no turning back.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 23:27
I wonder if these hd sets will do us during the ps4/xbox720/nintendo wii lite days? or will we have to shell out the money for another tv set just to get the best picture again?
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 23:39
Wll, thanks for the input guys. I made my purchase, & when I get it I' ll see if I can' t post some shiny new pics. Also picked up a 5.1 HTIB from ThinkGeek, so I' m anxiously waiting for the UPS guy... yet again...

and Locopuyo' s is 3ms!!!
Not for long it isn' t. I' m stealing it.

The VGA AV connector allows for these resoltions; 640×480, 848×480, 1024×768, 1280×720, 1280×768, 1280×1024, 1360×768, and 1920×1080, so you' d be limited to 720p and wouldn' t be able to use 1080p. That doesnt matter though as the vast majority of us, and people in general are playing in 720p anyway.
Yeah, I' m not overly worried about 1080p. I mean, I know enough about HD-TV' s. It' s just that I' ve got next to no hands-on-gaming experience with them. I' m going to be downscaling from 768, but it' s gotta be better than my crappy 20' ' SD.

Nitro

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 26, 2006 23:52

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

I' m going to be downscaling from 768, but it' s gotta be better than my crappy 20' ' SD.

No need, just use the VGA cable and select 1280 x 720 from the available resolutions.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 00:31
cool, thanks, I' m over a friends right now playing around with his (he got the same monitor last month) , so it' s all being cleared up.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 04:20
Playing on a little monitor like that is stupid.

If you get a big HDTV the difference between it and standard TVs is breathtakening.

Yeah it' s really old for PC gamers to being playing on 50" HDTVs.

Actually, No - you' re a retard.

Comparing shitty little monitors PC gamers use to true HD experience on a big screen is asinine.
Nitro

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 04:50

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

Yeah it' s really old for PC gamers to being playing on 50" HDTVs.

Actually, No - you' re a retard.

Comparing shitty little monitors PC gamers use to true HD experience on a big screen is asinine.

Now why didn' t i say something like that?!

Evil, you need a new avatar. Can i suggest this...

...???

< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 26 Nov 06 20:50:24 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 05:04
Why would he want a pic of someone who says he wanna wipe the face of the planet of the jews if usa invade them?

Or that the nazis must been framed and the jews never wasi n the holocoust.
Nitro

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 05:12
He' s the funniest guy on the planet. My friends despise the guy but i' d go out drinking with him, i wouldn' t kick his ass, i' d show him around and introduce him as Bob.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 05:16
k ^^

I know he is the Iran leader,and sometimes makes good points,but his jew hate,is just sick,send a missile and wipe out all jews in Israel if Usa invade them,why them? ^^

Lol at him.

Seriously,if USA invade you, THEN ITS USA THATS YOUR ENEMY.

You cant just wipe out another country/people (depens on what you belive) like palestina to paletina etc etc,but if u Nuke Israel you 1.kill all jews there.
2. make sure no palestine people can ever live there for 300 years.
Nitro

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 05:28
Bear in mind that very very few countries in the Middle East actually recognise Israel as a country.

Iran would never attack Israel because Israel would destroy Iran and it' s allies much easier than the US could as America still has to answer to the UN. Iraq went to war with and would have crushed Iran if it had been allowed. Iran aren' t a threat to anybody, at least until they have nuclear arms they aren' t.

Iran are watching how the US deals with North Korea as America can' t possibly deal with Iraq, Afganistan, North Korea and Iran simultaneously. If anybody is going to attack Iran it' ll be Israel - who i keep hoping will once and for all annhiliate Palestine.

Anyway, i' d take the guys out and teach him how to play ice hockey. Maybe take him to Blackpool...
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 06:02

Why would he want a pic of someone who says he wanna wipe the face of the planet of the jews if usa invade them?

Or that the nazis must been framed and the jews never wasi n the holocoust.
I gotta go with Quez on this one, he' s a royal knob. (Ahmadinejad, not Evil Man)

Playing on a little monitor like that is stupid.

If you get a big HDTV the difference between it and standard TVs is breathtakening.
Well, I see what you mean, Except for the simple fact that I play games at my desk. So I' m about a foot-and-a-half away from my screen at all times. This TV is actually slightly bigger than my old one, and it' s HD.

So anyways, a little off topic, how' s your PS3? First impressions?
f3hunter

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 06:12

Well, I see what you mean, Except for the simple fact that I play games at my desk.

Hehe you se evil man, not everyone plays games on the sofa!!!!

' Think before you spit out shit'

' Again think before you speak' , as your the only one here comparing monitors to a 50" screen.

Calling yourself a retard isnt healthy you know.

< Message edited by f3hunter -- 26 Nov 06 22:18:30 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 10:38
Ohhhhhh, burnnnnnwwwaitaminute, okay, comedic reversal is so fourth-grade.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: HD gaming. How does it help? - Nov 27, 2006 13:43
My LCD is not 3 ms it is 2 ms.
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 64

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages