Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 No need for Blu-Ray yet?!
Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 87
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 06:01

Perhaps the best part of the entire show was the front-end menu, where you can choose between Half-Life 2, Episode One, Episode Two, Portal and Team Fortress Two. We didn' t even play the game but seeing five pieces of awesome content on one disc made me more excited than the old Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge. Decisions, decisions.

IGN

Now, the question is whether that was just the X06 version and those were just demos shoved onto one disc, or whether all of the content will fit on a DVD9.

Before anybody comes and starts making idiotic comments, i' ll remind you to bear in mind that HL2, Ep1, Ep2 and Portal share exactly the same assets. The textures, animations, sounds, models etc will all be the same for the most part with only minor differences. TF2 is the only one that requires it' s own assets, but it still runs on the same engine and behind the scenes much of the code will be the same.

So, do we really need Blu-Ray?!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 06:04

So, do we really need Blu-Ray?!

Lets be realistic here,no

If we indeed would need more then 9gb in the future,which i douvbt will happend EXTREMLY MUCH.

Then use 2 dvd' s for that rpg or wtf that giant world that must be 3 times biggher then Oblivion needs and problem solved.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 06:19
thats only one large game that uses all the same engine.

Try that with multiple engines and I doubt you can fit it into a 9Gb disc.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 29 Sep 06 22:19:23 >
Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 06:22

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

thats only one large game that uses all the same engine.

Try that with multiple engines and I doubt you can fit it into a 9Gb disc.

Ok, but what game uses multiple engines?! Why does Resistance require 22GB except to make it look like a game requires that much space?
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 06:22
The OB world was around 3.3-3.5 gb big.

I hardly think they took a engine which was smaller in size,they took the best they could dev.

Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 07:28
If Oblivion only requires 6.5 Gigs, no current game should require any more space than a DVD offers.
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 07:33
If we belive in what Todd said(half space taken up by 50 hour voice dialogs) then 9gb should be more then enough ffs.

When asked about this to a sony guy,i forgot where i saw it he said.

" yeah but,disc swaping is something we really should have moved past" .

Ahum.

I could care less TBH.

I played like 20 hours in ToS and then i swaped the disc and played the last 20 hours.

If i think that is annoying or hard,im a " evil man" .
Silentbomber

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 07:44
Blue ray can only be good.

Dont know why you guys seem to think we are not ready for it, Dvd will become to small. Blue ray is the next generation dvd, and for a next gen console, maybe you should expect that.

I dont care about the price. I buy it once, not every year.
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 07:48
I have never said we' re not ready for it,but xbox360 prem cost in Sweden around 480$

The ps3 will cost 800-930$

Why?

Because of blu-ray.

Thats why im mad and think they can take it off.
Silentbomber

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 07:58
dont buy one so, you allready have a 360 and a nice pc.
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 07:59
Well then i miss out a great amount of titles,but yes im not getting a ps3 until 2007 or 2008.

Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:02

Blue ray can only be good.

Dont know why you guys seem to think we are not ready for it, Dvd will become to small. Blue ray is the next generation dvd, and for a next gen console, maybe you should expect that.

I dont care about the price. I buy it once, not every year.

But PS3 can' t possibly utilize it for games the way you sem to think. Sure the disc could store double, triple or even quadruple the texture resolution possible on a DVD9 [for a decent sized game], but with PS3' s main memory bottleneck and RSX having a 128-bit memory interface and 8 ROP [Rasterizing Operation], it' s extremely difficult to take advantage of the GPU' s shader and mapping capabilities, which themselves fall short of what Xeon is capable of.

You then have the the biggest problem with the hardware, HDR and FSAA simultaneously, which 360 can do just fine. The main reason it' s much harder to do, if not impossible on PS3 is the memory bottleneck. The only current workaround is using Cells main memory for textures and FlexIO for a texture lead, which frees up GPU bandwidth.

The problem with that is you' re leaving CELL with far less than the 256MB RAM + 256kb per 6 usable SPE' s, only 128kb of which can be used for buffering. That means that CPU heavy tasks like AI and physics take a hit.

Simply put, while Blu-Ray itself offers huge advantages as a next gen medium, PS3 will struggle to take full advantage of them and developers will get lazy in the process as they won' t have to worry about things like compression. Haven' t you noticed that as far as textures go, no PS3 game has been really impressive?!

< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 30 Sep 06 0:04:56 >
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:09
Kind of reminds me of our swedish dev here (starbreeze studios) who said the advantage with ps3 is extra storage of the disc,but they wont need it for their games like " the darkness" instead they gonna use a bit better " textures" for the 360 version since it has more video ram from the GPU in xbox360.

So majik clerarly has a point here.

Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:12
I' ve been over all of this before anyway so i don' t partuculary want to get into it again. The point is that if the all of the HL2 content will fit on one disc, and Oblivion fits on one disc, what is the additional space Blu-Ray provides going to be used for?!
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:16
Apparently sony dev are already using around 20gb.

Don' t ask me how it can be that way.

I do know that since ps2 didn' t have a good cpu that they duplicate all files to make the player run these files much faster,could it be so that all ps3 games are being duplicated because of slow blu-ray?
To compensate for that speed (2x)?
Silentbomber

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:24
These are 1st generation ps3 games, they hardly utilize the power fully.

lets just wait a few years.
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:28
And the xbox360 do that?

2nd generation isn' t here until games like Mass effect,Gears of war,Lost odyssey and huxley etc.

Table Tennis for ex that is a first gen title is still one of the best looking games that is out there or even coming.
Silentbomber

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:29
Goes for all Consoles. Wii included.
Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:40

Goes for all Consoles. Wii included.

I' m not saying PS3 games look bad, not at all. I' m just saying that it' ll take time to find workarounds for the consoles technical shortcomings, and that right now there' s not proof that Blu-Ray is required for games. 9GB of compressed data is an awful lot for a game, 25GB is obviously handy, but what kind of game will need that space, except ofcourse games like FFXIII which will have 1080p CG sequences?!
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:50
Ps3 is a awesome console.

I mean look at some of the game footage,like white knight,Mgs4 and heavnly sword.

Do anyne here think Bioware or Bungie couldn' t do magic with a ps3?

Ps3 and xbox360 is equal if you ask me.

It all depends on the devs.

And that is the sad thing,sometimes we hear people show images of some game and claim its aproof of a consoles superiority,while its clearly isn' t.

Look at Mass effect,Lost odyssey and Bia3 they all use Unreal engine 3.0

And look at the 2nd best looking ps3 game,Unreal 2007,it use?

UE 3.0

Gonna be very intrestig when other company makes a break thru and dev their own graphic engine and it beats those games.

Yes,Mgs4/halo3 has done that,but then its about taste in design,not technially even though its legimit to say Mgs4 or Halo3 looks better then some Ue 3.0 driven game.
Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 87

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message