Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 No need for Blu-Ray yet?!
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 87
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 08:55
The Playstation is begining to seem more and more like the saturn.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 09:18
The only reason any dev needs BluRay is for CG cut scenes. If a game doesn' t use CG then the game can EASILY fit on a single DVD.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 09:35

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

The only reason any dev needs BluRay is for CG cut scenes. If a game doesn' t use CG then the game can EASILY fit on a single DVD.

So why force Blu-Ray on developers that don' t need the space. Why not just let them decide?!

The same could be said about Blu-Ray as a movie format. If the additional space doesn' t offer any visual advantages over HD-DVD and would simply allow for more content [HD special features for example], then is it needed, or is Blu-Ray only really going to be useful for backing up data?!

Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 09:47
You sound like people saying " is DVD needed?" 6 years ago. " Oh no I dont want to buy a PS2 why is sony forcing me to buy a DVD player its not needed!"
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 30 Sep 06 1:48:11 >
Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 09:50

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

You sound like people saying " is DVD needed?" 6 years ago. " Oh no I dont want to buy a PS2 why is sony forcing me to buy a DVD player its not needed!"

First of all, DVD was the single standard. There wasn' t a format war going on when it made it to market. Right now for all we know HD-DVD could become the standard making Blu-Ray useless.

Secondly, the PS2 didn' t retail for as much as $599. Wasn' t it released at $299?!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 11:32
Yeah, it was dirt cheap compared to PS3, You also have to realise that DVD players had been out for more than half-a-year when the PS2 was released.

Now granted, they weren' t widespread or anything, but it' s not like there was all the public confusion about brand, format, compression and longevity of the format. Unless something absolutely horrible and unexpected happened, DVD was gonna stick.

I think it will be an advantage to PS3 to have Blu-Ray, far later in it' s lifespan, but for now, It' s a pretty big risk compared to the competitor' s proven formats.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 30 Sep 06 3:33:45 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 11:51
$500 isn' t that much money.

Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 17:13

ORIGINAL: Evil Man

$500 isn' t that much money.

For the cheaper model?!

If i was to buy a US PS3 for $500 it would cst me £267 and whatever import charges it would bring. £267 is a weeks wage if you' re on around £14,000 ($26,200) a year which itself is less than the national average for 16-21 year olds. However, if i buy the PAL version, i' d have to pay £425 ($797) which while i' m still ok with paying and don' t think is unreasonable, i can see how some would see it as too expensive for a games console.

So you' re right, $500 isn' t a lot of money, and for a next gen DVD player/games console combo it' s really cheap. However, a lote of Americans think that the price is steep, perhaps you can explain why?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 18:12
wtf?

When i paid 480$ for my 360 it still felt much,but worth it.

800-930$ feels just fucked up.

Europe is the place where the console war will be won,and Sony has hat fucked up.

Gonna be very intresting to see how many EU people who can afford that.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Sep 30, 2006 23:38

HL2, Ep1, Ep2 and Portal share exactly the same assets. The textures, animations, sounds, models etc will all be the same for the most part with only minor differences.

You answered yourself.

9GB of compressed data is an awful lot for a game, 25GB is obviously handy, but what kind of game will need that space, except ofcourse games like FFXIII which will have 1080p CG sequences?!

I remembered the CD-DVD jump when i read this.

Well I guess that time will show us the answer.

Offtopic:

And look at the 2nd best looking ps3 game,Unreal 2007,it use?

Whats the best looking game on PS3 in your opinion?(just curious)
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 00:49
I think Bluray for PS3 will be very usefull...
The speed of the drive ain' t a problem, since it' s reading around just as fast as a doublelayered DVD, most people compare it' s speed with how fast 360 can read a singlelayer DVD, ignoring the fact that there aren' t any games I can think of on 360, wich is on a single-layer DVD.

Also having in mind that Just Cause for XBox is on around 2 GB, while on XBox 360 it' s over 7 GB, logic tells us that having the option of spending more room on next-gen games is usefull..
Some of the extra size might be the copy-protection, wich I think is 1,7 GB on 360, the rest i think is texture-improvement tough.

I' m fully aware that Kikizo-forums is basically a 360-fanclub, but I think Sony' s customers will gain alot of content on their exclusive games, by increasing the space in their optic medium.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 00:53
Umm... no. with just about everything you said, including the forums being a 360 fan club. With that attitude you can let yourself out.
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 01:12
Oh, I think I must have missed that section about what kind of attitude I needed to have in the forum-rules. :(
Sorry about that.
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 01:35
Why can' t people introduce themself when they join?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 01:44
I' m actually starting to like the Blu-ray.

This is the stuff I like about the Blu-ray:
It gives developers more space
It let' s you watch HD-movies
It' s cheaper than a stand alone HD-DVD or Blu-ray player

This is the stuff I dislike:
Long loading times (?)
Expensive games and movies (?)

What if the Blu-ray format loses to HD-DVD?
-Well, it' ll take quite a while before that happens and until then you' ll be able to enjoy HD-movies on your PS3. After that you can buy a cheap stand alone HD-DVD player. And even though the format loses the PS3 games will still take advantage of the potential Blu-ray offers and thus Blu-ray will never be useless.

What if developers don' t need the space? So far they' ve managed with DVDs.
-Well, what if developers so far actually limited their creations for the 360 to fit the DVD discs? As an example, maybe Oblivion would' ve gotten extra content if it would' ve had HD-DVD. And Oblivion wasn' t in 1080p and had no CGI.
Maybe Oblivion could' ve had a Making-of documentary, multiple language dialogues, audio commentary, or similar.
Resident Evil 4 is another example. The GCN verison showed that you could make very big and graphically impressive games without the huge amount of space DVD formats offered. But when the game was ported to the PS2 additional content was added thanks to the larger disc capacity. Who knows, maybe that content, or similar, would' ve been in the GCN version if there had been space.

But the price! It' s soooo expensive!
-The launch units will cost you quite a lot but keep in mind that the targeted consumers are early adopters, tech-freaks. The PS3 isn' t only a videogame console. It' s not a PC as some idiots claim (K.K.) but Sony' s philosophy with the PlayStation brand has always been to integrate all kinds of entertainment into one single product. Without Blu-ray Sony would be abandoning that philosophy.

But Sony won because of the mainstream image they had last gen.
-Yes, but nowadays more and more people are becoming more aware of the technological standards and thus putting focus on the latest technology will probably be supported by the majority of consumers.

Those are my thoughts on the Blu-ray.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 30 Sep 06 17:52:10 >
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 01:53

As an example, maybe Oblivion would' ve gotten extra content if it would' ve had HD-DVD. And Oblivion wasn' t in 1080p and had no CGI.

Blue dragon is gonna be 40-60 hour long epic rpg and be in 1080p,and if it was CGI as some sonyfanboys aka gangsta claimed it was in the trailer.

Then apparently there is no problem?
Now is there?

Oblivion took up around 6.4 gb or 6.6 gb of space,if they really lacked extra space they would have used atleast the last 2.5 gb of space,and then complained.

And remember,half of the space was taken up by the 50 hour+ voice recording,not many games us that much of talking,and some ppl here on kikizo has said much of the talking was just wasteful and not intresting at all,well,then we have even more space left.

And about CGI,well look at OB you create your own character,kind of hard to have a pre-set CGI video then.

Instead when the graphic is as good as it was in Oblivion,they should stay in-game .

Lost odyssey blended CGI-In game in a very cool way,but since the CGI was in pair with In-Game i could have skipped the CGI.

< Message edited by quezcatol -- 30 Sep 06 17:56:23 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 02:01
Quez, I know you make some good points in your post but I have to say that I having a hard time taking anything you post seriously nowadays.
Anyway,

Blue dragon is gonna be 40-60 hour long epic rpg and be in 1080p,and if it was CGI as some sonyfanboys aka gangsta claimed it was in the trailer.

Lost odyssey blended CGI-In game in a very cool way,but since the CGI was in pair with In-Game i could have skipped the CGI.

I' m not going to comment on those two games since they' re not out yet. We don' t know how much CGI they' ll use, we don' t know how much space they' ll use (maybe they' ll actually put the games on two discs?) and we don' t yet know if the developers will limit the content because of the lack of space.

Oblivion took up around 6.4 gb or 6.6 gb of space,if they really lacked extra space they would have used atleast the last 2.5 gb of space,and then complained.

Let' s say they want to add a 1.5 hrs making of documentary in 1080p, dialogues in another language and 1080p CGI. And make the game in 1080p. Wouldn' t that require one hell of a lot more than the remaining 2.5GB?
I would really appreciate it if FFXIII was in 1080p with lots of CGI and making of documentary as well as the choice of having japanese or english voices.
Nitro

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 02:08

ORIGINAL: KongRudi

Oh, I think I must have missed that section about what kind of attitude I needed to have in the forum-rules. :(
Sorry about that.

Welcome. Back.
QuezcatoL

RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 02:08

Quez, I know you make some good points in your post but I have to say that I having a hard time taking anything you post seriously nowadays.

This isn' t coming from the right mouth...

anyway...

Let' s say they want to add a 1.5 hrs making of documentary in 1080p, dialogues in another language and 1080p CGI. And make the game in 1080p. Wouldn' t that require one hell of a lot more than the remaining 2.5GB?

Yes you would need more then 2.5 gb space then.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: No need for Blu-Ray yet?! - Oct 01, 2006 02:18

quote:

Yes you would need more then 2.5 gb space then.

CGI isnt needed this gen, ingame graphics have improved to the point of making it obsolete RE4 proved that, so we saved a lot of space, the only devs really insisting on CGI are Jap developers, everyone else can make do without it, and it makes the game more fluent.

And who cares about making off? Yawn! Id rather play than watch have the made it! If they really wanted making off video add a second disc for it, i dont think anyone would mind swapping, hell they could even make it standard dvd so it could be viewed anywhere!
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 87

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message