Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Complete Wii Specs leaked
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 62
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 02:19
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=8802

I havent read through them nor would I understand anyways. But here you go.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 02:56

Broadway CPU

Broadway is Wii' s CPU. Broadway functionality and specifications are as follows.

• Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

Hollywood GPU

Hollywood is a system LSI composed of a GPU and internal main memory (MEM1). Hollywood is clocked at 243 MHz. Its internal memory consists of 3 megabytes of embedded graphics memory and 24 megabytes of high speed main memory.

Hollywood includes the following.
• Graphics processing unit (with 3 megabytes of eDRAM)
• Audio DSP
• I/O Bridge
• 24 megabytes of internal main memory
• Internal main memory operates at 486 MHz.
Maximum bandwidth between Hollywood and internal main memory: 3.9 gigabytes per second
• Possible to locate a program here
Reference Information: Hollywood is similar to Nintendo GameCube’s Flipper and Splash components.

External Main Memory (MEM2)

Wii uses 64 megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as external main memory. Like internal main memory, MEM2 can be accessed directly from Broadway and the GPU at high speed and has a peak bandwidth of 4 gigabytes/sec. Programs can also be placed in MEM2.

Reference Information: Nintendo GameCube ARAM is used as auxiliary memory for the DSP. The CPU and GPU did not have direct access to it.

Very nice.

The 3Mb eDRAM i expect to be used specifically for AA. Wii looks like it will be 4x Gamecube which would make it something like 2.5 x Xbox. The GPU is a generation ahead anyway and will support Shader Model 3.0

This has to be better than most expected. Some idiots will directly compare it to Xbox or whatever though not realising that it isn' t all relative.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 03:21

ORIGINAL: Mass X

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=8802

I havent read through them nor would I understand anyways. But here you go.

Nor have or would I....
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 04:37
No Blast Processing I see.. Oh well, nothing is perfect

But man, that' s the LONGEST console spec sheet I' ve ever read in my life
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 31 Jul 06 22:25:00 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 05:16
I don' t get much of that so I' ll judge the power of the Wii once I play the games.
But when I think of how great Resident Evil 4 looks and that the Wii is four times more powerful than the Gamecube (if Majic is correct) I get excited .
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 06:13

Broadway CPU

Broadway is Wii' s CPU. Broadway functionality and specifications are as follows.

• Operating speed: 729 MHz
• Bus to main memory: 243 MHz, 64 bits (maximum bandwidth: 1.9 gigabytes/sec)
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 instruction cache
• 32-kilobyte 8-way set-associative L1 data cache (can set up 16-kilobyte data scratch pad)
• Superscalar microprocessor with six execution units (floating-point unit, branching unit, system regis
ter unit, load/store unit, two integer units)
• DMA unit (15-entry DMA request queue) used by 16-kilobyte data scratch pad
• Write-gather buffer for writing graphics command lists to the graphics chip
• Onboard 256-kilobyte 2-way set-associative L2 integrated cache
• Two, 32-bit integer units (IU)
• One floating point unit (FPU) (supports single precision (32-bit) and double precision (64-bit))
• The FPU supports paired single floating point (FP/PS)
• The FPU supports paired single multiply add (ps_madd). Most FP/PS instructions can be issued in
each cycle and completed in three cycles.
• Fixed-point to floating-point conversion can be performed at the same time as FPU register load and
store, with no loss in performance.
• The branch unit supports static branch prediction and dynamic branch prediction.
• When an instruction is stalled on data, the next instruction can be issued and executed. All instructions
maintain program logic and will complete in the correct program order.
• Supports three L2 cache fetch modes: 32-Byte, 64-Byte, and 128-Byte.
• Supports these bus pipeline depth levels: level 2, level 3, and level 4.
Reference Information: Broadway is upward compatible with Nintendo GameCube’s CPU (Gekko).

Hollywood GPU

Hollywood is a system LSI composed of a GPU and internal main memory (MEM1). Hollywood is clocked at 243 MHz. Its internal memory consists of 3 megabytes of embedded graphics memory and 24 megabytes of high speed main memory.

Hollywood includes the following.
• Graphics processing unit (with 3 megabytes of eDRAM)
• Audio DSP
• I/O Bridge
• 24 megabytes of internal main memory
• Internal main memory operates at 486 MHz.
Maximum bandwidth between Hollywood and internal main memory: 3.9 gigabytes per second
• Possible to locate a program here
Reference Information: Hollywood is similar to Nintendo GameCube’s Flipper and Splash components.

External Main Memory (MEM2)

Wii uses 64 megabytes of GDDR3 (MEM2) as external main memory. Like internal main memory, MEM2 can be accessed directly from Broadway and the GPU at high speed and has a peak bandwidth of 4 gigabytes/sec. Programs can also be placed in MEM2.

Reference Information: Nintendo GameCube ARAM is used as auxiliary memory for the DSP. The CPU and GPU did not have direct access to it.

So... it.... does play... games right?
< Message edited by Tiz -- 31 Jul 06 22:14:58 >
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 06:33

So... it.... does play... games right?

I sure hope so...

I find it amusing that they publish these specs in a way that regular people don´t understand....
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 06:55
No surprises here - even majiks wishful thinking/speculation (shader 3.0...yeah right...) is quite common.

I read all of it and they say that GPU is like the one in GCN only clocked higher (about 1,5 times faster), GDDR3 is a very fast memory - loadings will be short - especially when you add 6x DVD drive.

It' s nice to see one of the best features of Xbox (then again, GCN had it too) in here - unified memory (88MB in total , divided into 2 units)

Wii turns on when you put a DVD/GCN Mini DVD into it' s mouth - nice
2 AA batteries - I don' t like this - I really don' t

Wii looks like it will be 4x Gamecube which would make it something like 2.5 x Xbox.

Guys who gave you those specs say that GPU is 1,5 x faster than GCN - the CPU itself isn' t much faster than that, so I' d say that it' s 2x GCN at best , but with some nextgen hardware capabilities added to it
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 31 Jul 06 22:57:51 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 06:59
Well if those are true specs its nothing special but it isn' t bad.
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 07:10
Until I get to play some games, I' ll just play with my own Wiiwii.

I' m sorry for the the bad joke everyone, I just don' t understand specs.
ginjirou

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 07:33
Get back to the corner you came from and stay quiet!

... AND NO PLAYING WITH YOUR WIIWII MISTER!
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 07:59

No surprises here - even majiks wishful thinking/speculation (shader 3.0...yeah right...) is quite common.

Since it' s an R520 derrivate then it' ll be comparable to an x1600, maybe even x1800 and every single chip from the R520 family is Shader Model 3.0 compliant.

Looking at the other two systems PS3 will support Shader Model 3.0 and Xbox 360 supports Shader Models 3.0 and is Shader Model 4.0 compliant. I highly suspect that Super Mario Galaxy uses Model 3.0.

Guys who gave you those specs say that GPU is 1,5 x faster than GCN - the CPU itself isn' t much faster than that, so I' d say that it' s 2x GCN at best , but with some nextgen hardware capabilities added to it

Then your a nub. The 244MHz difference in CPU clock speed isn' t as important as the fact that it' s Superscalar architecture. Since your so fucking smart perhaps you' ll explain what that means?!
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 Aug 06 0:00:50 >
ginjirou

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:02
I knew this thread was doomed to become a spec-knowledge duel as soon as I saw the name...
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:09

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

I knew this thread was doomed to become a spec-knowledge duel as soon as I saw the name...

Gangsta regurgitating shit he' s read again. He' ll go and find out what Superscaler means as far as processor technology is concerned and then come back and talk shit.

Gekko wasn' t a Superscaler chip and so the comparison isn' t relative. What did i say at the beginning...

Some idiots will directly compare it to Xbox or whatever though not realising that it isn' t all relative.

...that whatever in this case being Gamecube.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:11

Since it' s an R520 derrivate then it' ll be comparable to an x1600 , maybe even x1800. Every single chip from the R520 family is Shader Model 3.0 compliant.

Actually Wii' s GPU is completely different from Ati' s PC cards - you' d know that if you' ve read a nice interview with Ati (or if you' ve remembered what' s been said there after reading it)

Then your a nub. The 244MHz difference in CPU clock speed isn' t as important as the fact that it' s Superscalar architecture.

So what? I' m saying that developers (note that those guys actually are developers - not some dev wannabe or wana-look-like-on-forum) wrote:

- The GPU of the Wii is identical to the GC’s but it is on average 1.5X faster.

And that makes your speculation retarded since it says it' s basically a GCN GPU with altered clockspeed - you don' t need to know what superscalar is (and it is a mixture of vector and scalar processors - cause there are multiple processing units and all act as simple scalar processors)

Gangsta regurgitating shit he' s read again. He' ll go and find out what Superscaler means as far as processor technology is concerned and then come back and talk shit.

Gekko wasn' t a Superscaler chip and so the comparison isn' t relative. What did i say at the beginning...

You mean Superscalar I presume...

We were talking about GPU just a moment ago - I guess you didn' t realise.

Anyway ginjirou is right - it' s stupid to fight over those specs, but you' re definitely not even half as smart as you think majik.Just read what professionals write next time and save your uneducated comments for yourself (I' m definitely not like those pro guys , but at least I don' t go all the way to pretend I know stuff and speak of it as a fact)
< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 1 Aug 06 0:19:11 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:20
OMG!!!11!, Wii Wont Pay CRYSIS!!? hax!

edit:
But in all honestly, nobody is buying the wii for its power. Yes, it will show some nice games. But compared to 360/Ps3. its not that impressive.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 1 Aug 06 0:22:32 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:22
I' m just thankful it can run Tetris in full 3d, with realtime lightning and textures

Wait scratch that! I don' t want to loose my Wii fanboy status LOL :)
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:27

Actually Wii' s GPU is completely different from Ati' s PC cards - you' d knoe that if you' ve read a nice interview with Ati

Wasn' t it ATi who said it was an R520 derrivate? Do you have a link?

That relates directly to the clock speed and since that concerns just the GPU and you said...

the CPU itself isn' t much faster than that, so I' d say that it' s 2x GCN at best

Then the fact that the CPU is superscalar architecture is TOTALLY relevant.

We were talking about GPU just a moment ago - I guess you didn' t realise.

Didn' t you say...

the CPU itself isn' t much faster than that, so I' d say that it' s 2x GCN at best

...???

Yeah, i thought so.

it is a mixture of vector and scalar processors - cause there are multiple processing units and all act as simple scalar processors)

Which in this case will mean?
]GaNgStA[

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 08:44

Which in this case will mean?

I thought you knew that yourself...

It means it is able to perform parallel processing -meaning it can perform a few claculations in one clock cycle.

Go read some more if you don' t know things like this.

Wasn' t it ATi who said it was an R520 derrivate? Do you have a link?

LOL haven' t seen you providing link to RD520 story...funny isn' t it?

That relates directly to the clock speed

You say you' re british right? Yet you don' t understand when people say :

??

You should realise by now that it means , the only difference is actually the clock speed.

CPU is superscalar , but I don' t really remember Gekko' s specs to be sure that it wasn' t.

It is a nice improvement if gekko wasn' t superscalar , but expecting performance of 4x gamecube from 1,5xGPU, 2xRAM and comparably better CPU is stupid don' t you think?

I' m going to bed now - this shit has always been pointless with you
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 09:04

I thought you knew that yourself...

Yeah. You didn' t though. You went to read about it like everything else.

LOL haven' t seen you providing link to RD520 story...funny isn' t it?

No, your right, it wasn' t ATi. It looks like i got it from the same place as IGN' s rambo ando. He comments on it HERE

That relates directly to the clock speed

You say you' re british right? Yet you don' t understand when people say :

quote:

??

You should realise by now that it means , the only difference is actually the clock speed.

Yeah said that. I said it relates directly to the clock speed. Y' know, of the GPU.

It is a nice improvement if gekko wasn' t superscalar , but expecting performance of 4x gamecube from 1,5xGPU, 2xRAM and comparably better CPU is stupid don' t you think?

Unless the GPU is Shader Model 3.0 compliant. This doesn' t come down to figures, this comes down to visual output which is an area that everybody realises was pretty exceptional on Gamecube in the titles that utilized the machines paticular strengths. Rogue Leader Rogue Squadron II exceeded the expected visual output and games like RE4 and now Twilight Princess show that the console though underpowered in comparison was easily on par with Xbox.

Y' know, even though i' m not doing a BSC and my course is a BA, i still have to do computer science. Andy King (musashi to you) RUNS a BSC in Games Technology and knows more about this shit than anybody here. Why don' t we ask HIM who the nub is?!
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 Aug 06 10:38:26 >
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 62

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread