Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Complete Wii Specs leaked
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 62
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 09:09
Who cares about the specc?
Mario galaxy looked awesome.
It looked like it was a plattform game for ps3 or xbox360.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 09:19

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Who cares about the specc?
Mario galaxy looked awesome.
It looked like it was a plattform game for ps3 or xbox360.

Quez, do you think Mario Galaxy uses Shader Model 3.0?
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 09:22
Yes.
I seen screens with SM 3.0 and SM 2.0 in close up from that tomshardware test,and when i saw GRAW/FEAR/OB,i said that use SM3.0 and i was right,and i have the same feeling with Mario,sM 3.0 makes some light comes from object/characters,that looks very awesome,hard to explainmbut you see it on Mario,or atleast its SM 2.0 but i think its 3.0

but then again,im not a dev.

but it sure looks like SM 3.0
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 20:12

not some dev wannabe or wana-look-like-on-forum

Hahahaha, ...i only just noticed that.

Here ya go fucko...

Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 21:45
I' d be very surprised if the console didn' t use SM3. A console like the Wii is very much about efficiency and maximising output across the board from a range of seemingly modest performance increases on individual components.

Take for example this page look down at the shader model 2/3 graphs - yes it looks prettier, but it is actually more efficient by up to 25% - and thats just a shader!! These improvements have gone on across the board with the wii.

Now imagine all of those performance increases across the board. Think of 2.0 engines in cars 25 years ago, they put out 100-110bhp on average if you were lucky, by the 1990' s (before emission regs kicked in) they were getting 150bhp from the same units! The difference is only 40bhp on paper, but the difference between a car with 110 and another with 150 is stark.

The CPU is double the clockspeed yes, but that is not the best way to illustrate the differences.

Lets say you have two people stood washing dishes in a race, each persons pair of arms can wash a set number per minute. BUT the new model washes twice as fast - and also has another two pairs of arms to help out with the preparation post washing tasks etc, so the whole process is not double it is the original speed plus perhaps up to a further 50% efficency in tasking, then this multiply this figure by clockspeed increase.

It' s widely acknowledged that the Wii is powered by a derrivative of the series R520 (or similar) certainly my mates in EA seem to think so still - but these chaps were not working on any wii titles and it was hearsay. I guess we wont know until the unit is out whether this is true or not. Where the " clockspeed may be 1.5x faster" again the layout of the LSi (including DSP etc) is far more efficient and these advances of the past 5 years in efficiency must not be discounted before the multiplication.

Also I think the Ati 520 link link holds most water as they bought out Artx who originally developed " Flipper" for GC and before that had deceloped the N64s gfx. Ati have all the skills in house (despite being acquired by AMD) to fulfill Nintendo' s objectives at the appropriiate pricepoint seeing as the card it is related to is now over a year old.

At first I saw this as simply a routine improvement in hardware within a budget, but now I have looked into it I think the Wii will put out some much better than expected gfx and certainly much better than it' s stats appear on paper.

expecting performance of 4x gamecube from 1,5xGPU, 2xRAM and comparably better CPU is stupid don' t you think?

This really isnt the best way to evaluate performance, it' s not core speeds but the overall improvements in architecture and efficiency over hte past 5 years since gamecube, then multiplied by the difference in clock speeds here that will make the Wii stand out.

Flipper was incredibly efficient to develop for, much more so than the GFX of other consoles of the time but, I wouldnt want to tie myself down to a specific multiplier " X" of performance.

The same would be hard to assess for that of the 360 and PS3. But, I will go on record saying it' s must be Nintendo' s most efficient console to date, and Majik has gone to great lengths to identify often overlooked areas in attack of the whole Wii=GC1.5x debate, (which as an argument I think is just ridiculous)

An awful lot has changed in 5 years. Say all the efficiency can get you 50% A processor can get you at least 200% increase, GFX another 175%, let alone the increased ram and ram speeds. Add it all together, its much more than 2x that' s for sure. Also not having the HD overheads of competitors gives them a significant step up over rivals for development costs and results over time.

It is after all the only console that will put gameplay over graphics every time, and it' s sure going to look the b******s too....
< Message edited by musashi -- 1 Aug 06 13:46:58 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 23:31
if devs say it' s identical to GCNs GPU - with faster clockspeed then it isn' t 3.0 unless gamecube was.

They could be wrong , but that' s what they said for now

Majik - I can print you my X-men degree if you want :)

This really isnt the best way to evaluate performance, it' s not core speeds but the overall improvements in architecture and efficiency over hte past 5 years since gamecube, then multiplied by the difference in clock speeds here that will make the Wii stand out.

Sure , but all we can do for now is compare some specs and clock speeds plus nintendo sait it' ll be 2-2,5 GCN power.

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 1 Aug 06 15:34:58 >
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 23:34

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[
Majik - I can print you my X-men degree if you want :)

EDIT: I' m not that pathetic.
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 Aug 06 16:00:02 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 23:52

Yes.
I seen screens with SM 3.0 and SM 2.0 in close up from that tomshardware test,and when i saw GRAW/FEAR/OB,i said that use SM3.0 and i was right,and i have the same feeling with Mario,sM 3.0 makes some light comes from object/characters,that looks very awesome,hard to explainmbut you see it on Mario,or atleast its SM 2.0 but i think its 3.0

Woop! Dey it iiis....
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 23:53

ORIGINAL: Tiz

Yes.

Woop! Dey it iiis....

Are you two still on about that?!
Tiz

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 23:57

Are you two still on about that?!

Just haven' t seen it for ages... and I am at work... So this amuses me... Then
again, this IS the first " techy" discussion that has taken place in ages..

Wait, that was mine and Quez' s liitle secret, how come you remember
what we were talking about Majik??

Hmmm. I want that jewish gold..
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 01, 2006 23:59

Hmmm. I want that jewish gold..

Fastened securely around my neck. Actually i would never wear a gold chain. Not my thing.
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 Aug 06 16:00:30 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:00
Quez how do you compare Shader models based on trailers ? :)

While Mario looked very cool and I can' t wait for it , it didn' t have anything that Xbox games don' t have.

There was some nice bumpmapping (maybe even normalmaps), awesome lightning techniques and nice draw distance with no loadings.

It would be smart to incorporate shader 3.0 though - maybe those " devs" forgot to mention it as one of the differences between GPUs or maybe they didn' t know that yet or maybe, it isn' t there :)
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:04

Quez how do you compare Shader models based on trailers ? :)

While Mario looked very cool and I can' t wait for it , it didn' t have anything that Xbox games don' t have.

There was some nice bumpmapping (maybe even normalmaps), awesome lightning techniques and nice draw distance with no loadings.

It would be smart to incorporate shader 3.0 though - maybe those " devs" forgot to mention it as one of the differences between GPUs or maybe they didn' t know that yet or maybe, it isn' t there :)

Thing is, these specs aren' t exactly official either so this could all be for nothing
]GaNgStA[

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:20
Good point...

Tiz

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:25
I' ll put some gingerbread men on to cook then...
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:31

Good point...

You know i love you.
Ikashiru

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:34

if devs say it' s identical to GCNs GPU - with faster clockspeed then it isn' t 3.0 unless gamecube was.

That is a massive generalisation, and could well have been a reply with regard to the wiis backwards compatibility. Have you got links to these articles / devs / sources, im interested who would state that they would re-use a 5 year old GPU?

There is a lot more going on thatn just a clockspeed increase. But your right, that' s all we have at the moment...

I ahvent had gingerbread in years - can i have a piece Tiz?!
< Message edited by musashi -- 1 Aug 06 16:35:00 >
Tiz

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:39

ORIGINAL: musashi

I havent had gingerbread in years - can i have a piece Tiz?!

Sure.... I used to love cooking gingerbread men... Cookie dough was my thang.
ANyone but me that loved cookie dough?
Nitro

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:40

ORIGINAL: musashi

I havent had gingerbread in years - can i have a piece Tiz?!

Sure.... I used to love cooking gingerbread men... Cookie dough was my thang.
ANyone but me that loved cookie dough?

It' ll only make you fat!
Ikashiru

RE: Complete Wii Specs leaked - Aug 02, 2006 00:42
cookie dough is fantastic, and the ben & gerrys ice cream of it is f' in awesome!

are you in london!? I recon we should have a kikizo postal gingerbread challenege where we post a pic up of what the royal mail did to your cooking, then i get to eat a piece!
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 62

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message