Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 ps3 price. will it be worth it?
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 6 of 8, messages 101 to 120 of 144
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 21, 2006 09:24
Microsoft will always be more popular in Western territories than in Japan, and i expect Sony to do much better than Microsoft in Japan, but when i add Nintendo and their Revolution into the mix i can' t see Sony having an easy time.

My main points are that with regard to graphics, 360 will be ahead for at least a year after PS3' s launch. When devs have developed the best ways to deal with the hardware (usually taking over a year after launch) then you' ll see about equal performance between the two. After that it' s up to the developers!

The load timing thing is because of Blu-Rays drive being new technology and the discs being volatile. The PS3' s Blu-Ray drive only runs at 1x, meaning it' s slower to transfer the data.

The price thing, and the reason PS3 will be more expensive is: - http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25901

And for a console that isn' t much more powerful than 360, it' s not really fair to make people pay more.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 06:11
Majicdra6on is right, i didn' t even think about the L2 cache. dang... well that' s interesting news. i still hold my position of neutrality untill the ps3 actually comes out. i had followed all of this info on the x-box, ps2 and GC release, but that' s kinda fallen by the wayside with school and such. i was impressed, although not won over by the 2 teraflops fpp, but that is what we call hype and product placement, and i can' t make much of a decision from that. i' m not much of a fanatic for anything, so i just step back and watch the pre-rendered videos, knowing that dollars to pesos, it' s not gonna be that good, see i go in underwhelmed and hopefully come out amazed

(P.S. i can' t believe this thing even reached 100 posts, this forum was the first post i ever made on kikizo)
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 07:02

I heard the same thing about square-enix and GC,they promised a FF game and new relationship and instead made the horrible Final Fantasy Crystall and then lame ff ports to GBA to milk their products.

Do you REALLY think Squaresoft even wanted to develop that one Final Fantasy game for the GameCube?

The running theory and one I pretty much agree with wholeheartedly without having any solid proof is that SquareSOFT had NO choice in the matter. Yamauchi wasn' t letting them on the GBA easy money bandwagon without them agreeing to throw the GameCube a bone or two...

After the Spirits Within movie bombed as badly as it did Squaresoft was in need of making some quick cash and what cash is quicker and easier to make than GBA cash?

I still find it pretty funny how at around the same time Nintendo made it known the clause in their GBA game development contract. The contract basically stated that any developers looking to develop for the GBA must also do GameCube games as well. Such a clause was never brought to light until Squaresoft started licking their lips at GBA development.

Like I said before, Square Enix porting Final Fantasy XI to the Xbox 360 does absolutely nothing to make me trust anything they say about developing for consoles outside of Sony' s consoles. They teased Dreamcast users, they brought GameCube owners false hope, and I see them doing the same to 360 users until they come through with a 2nd game - one that isn' t a port of an old game.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 22 Jan 06 15:25:34 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 07:23
Why do i need a GBA to be able to play 2 player in FF crystall?
Why are there so many flaws in it?

Square-enix dissapointed me
Nice idea with action rpg,but as it came,and that it needed 3 gba to play 4 players was a damn joke...
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 20:58

The load timing thing is because of Blu-Rays drive being new technology and the discs being volatile. The PS3' s Blu-Ray drive only runs at 1x, meaning it' s slower to transfer the data.

Actually it' s not the case - Blue Ray uses different reading technology and laser (blue) and it is said that it' s faster than " traditional ways" .

But I can' t say for sure :)

Nitro

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 21:48
No, if you go to the official Blu-Ray site and read the faq, it details the data transfer rate of the existing 1x drives. It also says that because of this Sony are looking into developing an 8x drive as quickly as possible.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 21:51
Most of the games will be on DVD9 on ps3 i think...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 22:16
well then you have to hope that once sony develops the 8x drives, that they' ll go in the new batch of ps3s, because if there is one thing i really like in a console, it' s fast load times (or at least tolerable ones). but the blu-ray thing almost seems like a gimmick, you know? like they' re creating games to run on their blu-ray disks instead of creating discs to house good games. i swear, probably not the best move for sony.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 22, 2006 22:20

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Most of the games will be on DVD9 on ps3 i think...

Initially, you' re probably right. We must remember that developers will only HAVE to put their games on Blu-Ray if they need the space. I think, anyway.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 23, 2006 01:50
It is said that the PSP utilizes a 1x - 2x speed UMD drive which is what many attribute to some of those long loading times in games, so I think Sony better prepare a Blu-Ray drive that' s at least 4x speed, preferably higher of course!@
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 22 Jan 06 17:52:34 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 02:38
As the Sony whore I am I have to say that I will buy the PS3 regardless of power or library. I' ll buy it just because it' s Sony and it' s so cool. I feel dirty yes. But I feel gooooooood!
Just kidding but seriously though, Sony is cool. If I had to choose between a BMW and a Toyota, I' d choose the BMW even though I know the Toyota is much more reliable and cheap. Why? It' s a damn BMW man! BMW!
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 23 Jan 06 18:39:17 >
Nitro

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 02:56
You' re calling Microsoft or Nintendo a Toyota?

Well my man, what' s the car in front? (That' s soooo bad!)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:03
Technically Sony would be the Toyota and Microsoft the BMW, not that BMW is american, but its western.

ginjirou

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:05
Xbox and the 360 is more like big noisy SUVs to me. They can take you anywhere in the mountains or forests, but HELLO! I live in the city!
Nintendo are like Volkswagen (the beatle' s in my mind). Small convienient cars with great design and a good price.
The PS3 isn' t a BMW, I' m sorry. It' s a freaking Ferrari YEAH!

-Holy crap I' m now an intermediate member! Whatever that means....
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 23 Jan 06 19:06:37 >
Vx Chemical

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:08
The way rumors are of the PS3, it looks more like its going to be a car keen on breaking down. Unless they get it working soon
Nitro

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:09
Yeah and no doubt it' ll reflect the price of a Ferrari too!

Ha, i find it hilarious that people have seen so little on the damn thing but are adament that it' s going to be the best thing ever.

ginjirou

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:11
I don' t know if it' ll be the best thing ever. But IT WILL BE the COOLEST thing EVER! Even though it will just be an empty silver box with a 500$ price tag that does nothing. If you can' t see the beauty of it, than it' s your loss.
Nitro

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:21
Ha, it looks stupid actually. The damn thing is huge, and is probably going to be even bigger when it' s complete!

Now the Revolution (N5) is a nice looking console!
ginjirou

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:23
It sure is. The 360 is very nice to. I would have liked it to be smaller though but what can you do.
Vx Chemical

RE: ps3 price. will it be worth it? - Jan 24, 2006 03:28
I dont think the PS3 will be smaller, i think Revolution will have a nice size!
Change Page: < 12345678 > | Showing page 6 of 8, messages 101 to 120 of 144

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message