Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics)
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 73
dirtydog

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 02:30
So can someone on the Kikizo staff comment on the graphics quality of Outrun 2006 vs OutRun 2 on the Xbox? It' s the sort of thing that I expect most review sites won' t mention. Hopefully if there is a difference in quality then it' s something you will mention in your upcoming review :)
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 02:49
Outrun 2

Outrun 2006 Coast to Coast

Should answer that question.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 03:18

How many racing games have been released for the PSP by now? I' m kind of getting sick of them.

How many First-Person Shooters have been released on consoles by now?

I' d much rather have a flood of games I like (racing) as opposed to ones I don' t (FPS)
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 03:38
Roll on...

dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 04:01
Yeah the screenshots I' ve seen look fine, as do the videos on this site, but then the thread starter has played both games and says the 2006 one is noticeably worse... so what do I make of that
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 04:23
LCD projector via S-video

Actually he says that it was fine on a normal CRT TV, but looked bad on his LCD projector.. But we all know that LCD projectors are weak anyway. also have refresh problems on most..

I had my xbox with a VGA-Progressive-scan hack and natively played it Via my DLP projector..All my Xbox games looked as good as they possibly could do. OR2 looked awesome! If i was to play xbox games on my projector (which is better than any LCD projector) Via normal S-video, it would look horrible and have bad shimmery.. So i guess hes simply using S-video.

S-video on a LCD projector is not a good way of judging its graphics.
< Message edited by f3hunter -- 29 Mar 06 20:31:59 >
dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 06:05
Could be that, but then he seemed to also say that he tried OutRun 2 afterwards, to compare it, on the same screen.. and it was noticeably better. That' s if I read it right.
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 04:02
Just played it at work today on a CRT with RGB.

The game definitely lacks anti-aliasing, where as OutRun 2 was slightly jaggie, this has loads all over the place. It still looks lovely on the SP tracks though, even if the texture detail isn' t as close to the arcade as the OR2 conversion.

Other than that there' s less slowdown than OR2, but at the same time the old OR2 courses feature less detailed textures than before.

I played the PSP version also.

The PSP version is very jaggie, and usually starts off running at around 20 to 30fps before upping to 60 and then down again. Seeing the game running, you can tell that SUMO have simply tried to cram as much detail as possible using most of the PSP' s polygon pushing ability, and without the CPU being unclocked there isn' t enough processing power to handle all of what' s happening on screen.

That and maybe a tight conversion deadline too.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 30 Mar 06 20:03:12 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 06:02
I' ve seen the PS2 versiojn today - framerate sux , graphics are incredibly good for a PS2 (at times), but textures are definitely in lower resolution.

I have to admit that I love O2 SP menu and presentation.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 14:41
When does the Xbox version come out in the US?
]GaNgStA[

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 19:53
sometime in APRIL

I played The PS2 version some more

Sound is terrible - I think it' s because of low RAM of PS2 - Music and car sounds are fine but voice samples are so awful - I mean terrible/completely fucked up - probably compression.

About shimmering - PS2 is famous for it' s shimmering yet this game on PS2 looks really clean (just as clean as the original O2 on Xbox) so I can' t imagine it being worse on X.

Gameplay? - And just after we' ve spent so much time talking about how sega sucks ....O2SP has some gameplay changes that(at least for PS2) make it half the fun.

Drifting is kind of ultra easy to pull off and it just doesn' t feel right.

Now the only thing I wanna know is " is this all that bad on PS2 alone?"

I love O2 on Xbox - it' s one of my favourite games of this generation (I hate burnout) , but this new version is just ...crap 6-7/10 MAX.

(Remember that I' m talking about the PS2 version)
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 31 Mar 06 11:55:32 >
artofshooting

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 20:51
I had the chance to review both versions (ps2 and xbox)

The xbox version is sure a bit desapointing compared to the original outrun 2.
' Jaggies' is the first thing I had in mind when I first gave it a try... and the textre details is scaled down indeed but the game still rocks.

Now for the ps2 version... I' ve learned to keep in mind that coders now outstand their former abilities with this system (thinking of RE4).

now the game is still fun but still no match for the xbox version (which isn' t perfect already)... why the heck did the reviewing guys tell they are the same? they aren' t!

game is even jaggier, colors are scaled down and some framerates drops... and that damn memory card keeps on saving. can' t tell for the sound though as I played with a low level of sound since someone slept nearby.

hope it helps

for the ps2 owners with now xbox: sure buy it it still rocks

both versions where tested on a panasonic 100hz CRT tv and both with RGB

dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 20:52
Apparently it' s much easier now, and hitting other vehicles or driving off the edge of the road doesn' t make you slow down very much? I don' t know if the arcade OR2 SP is like that though.

Well I' ve taken a leap of faith and ordered it anyway (on Xbox), I will post my views on it when I get it, possibly tomorrow.

By the way, I don' t suppose the US are getting their version later because it' s going to be improved over the PAL version? It seems odd that they' re getting it weeks later.
< Message edited by dirtydog -- 31 Mar 06 12:55:16 >
artofshooting

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 21:09
dude nothing against the americans

but sometimes its good... we (europeans) were always the last on the market
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 31, 2006 23:37
Cool, itll be the PC verson for me then, i hear its an exact port of the arcade and supports FFB wheel/MOMO.. Anyone hear anything new on the PC version?
]GaNgStA[

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Apr 01, 2006 15:55
From what I' ve seen in PS2 version - there isn' t much detail in the enviroments and textures.It does look good , but it' s so easy now ....

Are textures or backgrounds and effects (smoke) better on Xbox?

I hate to admit it but PC version on 360 controller might be the best way to play it ...Unfortunately my PC isn' t good enough for gaming.
dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Apr 01, 2006 18:12
Okay I got my Xbox copy this morning and my initial impressions are, oh my god what have they done. Yes the graphics are noticeably worse than on OutRun 2, they are more jagged, less detailed and very shimmery and flickery... and they have butchered the car handling. I first played the OutRun 2 SP mode, but then I tried the OutRun 2 mode to see whether the graphics and handling were the same as the original Xbox game. No, they have been changed too.

I just put my OutRun 2 game in straight afterwards, and played the same route (right each time) and what a difference... it almost hurts your eyes to play the 2006 version. Ghost forest is particularly shimmery and flickery on the 2006 version. And the car handling is so much more natural (in the original OutRun 2) - I suppose they changed it to make it ' easier' but to my mind it' s much harder to control now.

Not impressed AT ALL. First impressions are, this game deserves no more than 5 or 6 out of 10.

Oh and I thought OutRun 2 SP had the Turbo Outrun tunes? It doesn' t here... perhaps you have to unlock them?

edit.. yes the Turbo Outrun tunes are there, the 1989 originals and modern remixes - you can purchase them with ' outrun miles' and have to press Y or the right trigger to display the extra tunes, I didn' t realise.

I' ve got used to the handling but I still don' t think it' s as good as before. If it wasn' t for the inferior graphics the game would be fine, but they' re a real let down. I believe the Xbox has the power to handle better, and OutRun 2 proves it. It looks like the Xbox version being announced late meant that the Xbox version is an afterthought, clearly a PS2 port
< Message edited by dirtydog -- 1 Apr 06 11:31:49 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Apr 01, 2006 20:50
There' s only one thing that has to be said right about now ...

F U C K YOU SEGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those useless fuckin morons should change their name cause people keep confusing them with devs who made shenmue , good sonic games , jet set radio , crazy taxi ...and so much more ...FUCK

SEGA is not SEGA ...not anymore
dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Apr 01, 2006 23:13
Well after playing for a few hours, the game *is* fun, the new mission structure is a lot better IMO, and the rival races are much more forgiving than OutRun 2 which I think is a good thing. The game has more variety as well - 30 tracks which are also raced in reverse which is kinda cool. Also you can race 15 tracks at once. Plus more tunes than OR2.

If it wasn' t for the worse graphics I' d be happy to give it 8 or 9 out of 10. If I hadn' t ever seen OutRun 2 on the Xbox I probably wouldn' t have any complaints here... but sadly I have seen just how good that was.

On the plus side, there is no slowdown like there was on rare occasions in OutRun 2 - eg. on Tulip Garden near the end of the stage. But, in OR2006 there is the occasional, rare, stutter, where the whole game will pause for 1/2 second. OutRun 2 never did that.

Anyway I' d say if you' re an OutRun fan you should check the game out for yourself and see how you feel about it.

(by the way, the first time you play the game it takes nearly a minute to load, I kid you not. Subsequent load times are shorter)
< Message edited by dirtydog -- 1 Apr 06 17:54:41 >
kickass331

• Total Posts : 92
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Apr 02, 2006 03:24
i looked at the pics and said " niiice" I loaded up a trailer and said " WTF THIS SUX BALLZ" and said no way, not buying. :D I' m smart, yay!
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 73

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message