Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics)
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 73
Three of Nineteen

• Total Posts : 2
Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 26, 2006 20:31
So I sat down with the Xbox version of the game today and let me tell you, it is BAD.
The reviewers who said the PS2 version looked just as good as the Xbox version should be slapped over the head with a baseball bat. The more correct discription would be that the Xbox version looks just as bad as the PS2 version.
Compared to the original Outrun 2 on Xbox, the game suffers from heavy shimmering/jaggies. My roommate played it on his normal CRT telly and didn' t notice it much, but on my LCD projector the difference is quite profound. The shimmering is as bad as some first generation PS2 titles and it literally hurts my eyes looking at it. I had such high hopes for this game and to be let down like that really makes me sad.
The mission mode so far has been pretty dull as well. Two different main branches are available in the beginning. One being the girlfriends, which is basically an extended Heart Attack mode with stage and request select (quite cool) and Flagman, which has been pretty dull so far. Out of the first 6-7 stages, so far 4-5 have been dull " race the rivals" " challenges" . One stage had me try and build more points by drifting, and the last one was a challenge to deplete a more competent (than the others from the normal races) of all hearts by staying ahead.
The mission mode could get really fun later I guess, the question remains whether or not I' ll bother with the graphics being so bad. I popped in the original Outrun2 to compare and raced the A route, which I had just completed on 2006. And what a soothing effect it had on my eyes. While the framerate is better in 2006 (OR2 has a spot on Tulip Garden where the framerate dips for a second or two), the shimmering is REALLY annoying. Cars in the distance are harder to make out, and especially Tulip Garden with all its trees and flowers looks awful :(.
It almost seems like Sumo first ported the game over to PS2 and then ported that over to Xbox. I can' t find any other explanation for this mess...
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 26, 2006 23:51
I loved Outrun 2 for Xbox - this edition should' ve been released on 360.

I' ll check it anyway since I care for gameplay mostly :)
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 27, 2006 01:44
He' s being a little harsh methinks...

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 26 Mar 06 17:48:06 >
Three of Nineteen

• Total Posts : 2
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 27, 2006 02:10
If only it looked that nice and sharp in motion an a progressive scan display...
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 27, 2006 06:53
Im after the PC version Anyway, which is said to be Exact of the arcade (peeps with decent riggs). and Supports FFB Wheel... IE Momo :))
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 27, 2006 07:04
I only care about the PSP version at this point so doesn' t matter to me :).
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 27, 2006 07:24
This game is already out? And it has the same courses as the original Out Run 2? This game has no reason to exist!
blazing

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 27, 2006 18:21
Hello, I' m a little french 28 years old. Soo I saw the game OutRun2 Coast to Coast on Xbox in démo, My question is " Why did SEGA or SUMO DIGITAL chose this graphic style (realistic style like grantourismo burrrrrkkkkk, it' s not the arcade style why why, disappointment) for the menu and the autoradio (autoradio is photo réalist burrrrkkkkkk not the same arcade style, WHYYYYY) It' s not the spirit of OutRun2 (for this little point, but it' s important), OutRun 2 on Xbox have this arcade spirit with lot of fashy color (blue sky, red and yellow). I don' t talk about the aliazing, it' s alos a bad point, but it' s OK, the game is in 60fps it' s the main thing.
For the wall of game, it' s a good thing, very good, I play it in arcade room (before they close definitly, " La tête dans les nuages" ), this game is perfectly dream, but Xbox version haven' t got the same menu, it seem unfinished to sale the game at the time, it' s pity, it' s too late to correct this point.

I don' t think " graphic menu style" make more sale (for the young gamers who like grantourismo), I think it make less sale, it' s a pity , granstourismo is grantourismo, and OUTRUN2SP coast to coast is OUTRUN2SP coast to coast

(excuse for my bad english).

Thanks SEGA for this arcade portage.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 28, 2006 04:17

This game is already out? And it has the same courses as the original Out Run 2? This game has no reason to exist!

IT actually has a lot of new courses ...
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 28, 2006 04:31
Is it out? In the US, land of the free?
dirtydog

• Total Posts : 33
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 21:43

ORIGINAL: Three of Nineteen

So I sat down with the Xbox version of the game today and let me tell you, it is BAD.
The reviewers who said the PS2 version looked just as good as the Xbox version should be slapped over the head with a baseball bat. The more correct discription would be that the Xbox version looks just as bad as the PS2 version.
Compared to the original Outrun 2 on Xbox, the game suffers from heavy shimmering/jaggies.

(snip)

It almost seems like Sumo first ported the game over to PS2 and then ported that over to Xbox. I can' t find any other explanation for this mess...

That doesn' t sound good.. I will be very disappointed if this is true. I have been looking forward to OutRun 2006 on the Xbox for ages! I assumed that at least it would be identical to OutRun 2, but with the added SP courses. Hopefully more people will post here when they get it, as you can' t necessarily trust what the review websites say.
blazing

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 21:59
I retry to play OUTRUN 2006, in fact, my first judgement it' s false, there is the real menu of arcade OUTRUN SP, the only drawbacks is the aliazing (it seems the aliazing filter is desable), the spirit of Outrun is here. I buy this game and I recommand it.
Let Sega know there is a lot of many people who love them funny and shinny games.

dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 22:06
Gotta say I was already baulking at spending £25+ on what is basically the exact same game as I already own, OutRun 2, but with 15 different tracks - which to be honest don' t look a million times better or different to what' s in OutRun 2 anyway. It sounds like there isn' t a whole lot of other content to get excited about, and I never liked the overly difficult and frustrating challenge mode anyway.

I wonder how long it will be before the price drops.. looking at other recent Xbox releases, the price hasn' t dropped on those yet, eg. Black and Toca 3.

If it is true that OutRun 2006 does have PS2-style graphics then I' ll wait until it' s very cheap, just a few quid second hand in a year or so. I don' t like the sound of that one bit.
< Message edited by dirtydog -- 29 Mar 06 14:08:44 >
blazing

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 22:17
For my opinion, when I see the update " outrun 2 SP" I was very frustrated, I played it all the summer, when Isee SEGA and sumo digital relesed on Xbox I was very happy, I didnt' beleve it on " console portage" , many people said SEGA want to make more money with only one license, maybe, SEGA didn' t adapte Daytona 2 or scudrace (it' s a pity, I dream of this game, maybe on a futur sega ages, I wish) for OUTRUN 2 they make it, for many fan it' s very great, there is lot of many fan, it' s surrrrrrrrrrrr.

Long LIFE to SEGA AM2 or AM????? and Sumo digital.
(I haven' t any action in Sumo digital or SEGA, I' m only a little 28 years old gamer)
Nitro

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 23:18
If it' s virtually the same game as Outrun 2, i don' t understand why they would put another version out just because it has some new tracks. Surely they could have saved themselves and awful lot of money and just released each track for download on Xbox Live. That kind of stuff is what the damn thing is there for!
dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 23:24
Really the Xbox version should be cheaper IMO, to account for the fact that OutRun 2 is already out on that platform and now available for budget prices, or for next to nothing secondhand. Is there really a justification to charge full price for it, I don' t think so. I realise they are in business to make money but come on...
Nitro

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 23:38

It SHOULDN' T be cheaper, they should have just...

released each track for download on Xbox Live. That kind of stuff is what the damn thing is there for!

dirtydog

RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 29, 2006 23:44
Meh

It cost them money so I don' t mind paying, but I feel £9.99 would have been a good price, not £29.99.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 01:16
That' s one of the reasons I' m getting the PSP version over the console versions. I already have the first Outrun 2 for Xbox, I see no point in buying this small update for a console, so I' ll get it for on the go gaming!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Disappointed in Outrun 2006 on Xbox (graphics) - Mar 30, 2006 02:23
How many racing games have been released for the PSP by now? I' m kind of getting sick of them.
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 73

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message