Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Nintendo Wii
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617 > | Showing page 14 of 17, messages 261 to 280 of 339
vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 16, 2006 10:17

What in the world do your posts contribute to the Wii topic? SABREWOLF581, stop making this thread diverge. If you need to, create a thread in the " EVERYTHING ELSE" section of the message boards. The thread is degenerating rapidly here. Back to the subject!

The two page splash in the Toronto Sun the last Sunday, reporting very meekly on E3 on a paltry two page spread, seemed to be relaying a message that Nintendo is turning off those who are already buying their consoles in this generation, and furthermore implying that they might not get enough gains with the non-gamers they are currently attempting to reach. On the same 2 pages, it insinuates that Sony merely played it safe, with nary a word about the last minute changes. Again, same two pages, they harp that 360 had the best lineup of the show. That is true, but with the limited space, the reporter conveyed only what he desired to be reported on. The Sun should have been more thorough, especially when explaining the Wii, which also drew the most heads. A pity that this is the kind of exposure that games get on traditional news media. Better to have redirected to something much more informative, than to give a tunnelvision like report.

Anyone else have more local (relative to your location of course) reports on E3 from your more traditional media? I' d like to hear what kind of exposure the average joe gets of E3. I know, it' s virtually nill, but I do want to see the paltry scraps they do leave for reporters.
< Message edited by vdig -- 15 May 06 21:18:26 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 16, 2006 19:00
Oh, we' re gamers so we don' t read traditional media since we don' t care about the " real" world.
We only read gaming magazines which reflects our world.

Before E3 Metro said that Nintendo were likely to steal the show because of their new innovative console. Haven' t read all issues after that one so I don' t know if they covered E3 at all.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 03:00
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 03:05
Awww it' s jus a snipet though.

Anyway little off topic and wated to see if any of you find it as weird as I do. Have any of you come across or heard of anyone who won' t get a console strictly based on where it' s manufactured?....cos iv' e come across a few people and to be honest I find it a bit discriminative (or is that too harsh?).
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 05:48
What! I have never heard such a RIDICULOUS reason to not get a console. Who cares where its manufactured.
vdig

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 06:43

Oh, we' re gamers so we don' t read traditional media since we don' t care about the " real" world.
We only read gaming magazines which reflects our world.

Wow. That is brutal. With all the misery in the real world, it truly is nice to have such wonderful games to enjoy escapism with. Still, the Sun does worry me in the fact that Nintendo is trying to reach the non-gamer. The Toronto Sun happens to be one such medium for Nintendo to attract the non-gamers of the world. With a report like that, I' m a tad worried. Then again, hearing just now that Sony thinks the Wii and its PS3 will be the two popular consoles only makes one thing unanimous: they all think Wii will be popular. That is nice to hear. Now if only they would devote that to the newspapers of the world, Nintendo would achieve its goal quite nicely.

Have any of you come across or heard of anyone who won' t get a console strictly based on where it' s manufactured?

Yipes. Yes, there are people that refuse to buy many things, which I guess include consoles, merely because of the location they were manufactured, conceptually imagined, etc. I don' t know of anyone like that myself, but I' ve seen a few. One might not be able to forget the prejudice made from World War 2, or the Vietnam war, and maybe one might be a Neo-Nazi...*shudder*. Others merely boycott for financial or ethical reasons. The world is full of people, so of course I would expect differing opinions, and the lengths each would go to express their opinions. Still, I think of such things as stereotyping, associating things that are indirectly related, such as whether they are located in Japan (they did side with Hitler back then), or whatnot. Just because a company comes from Japan does not mean they are Nazi lovers, although there might be some in Japan, just as there can be in Toronto or Rome or wherever.

Edit:
Gee, my thoughts aren' t quite polished in that last paragraph.
< Message edited by vdig -- 16 May 06 17:46:54 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 07:18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYNZ90kB2wk&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

Cool,look at this on how Nintendo wii eject dvd' s.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 16 May 06 23:18:42 >
vdig

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 08:25
Um...
Wii!

Seriously, it looks like an iMac barfing up a disc. It still is nice to look at though, especially considering the size (or lack thereof) of the Wii.
QuezcatoL

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 08:36
I just love that ninetndo finally chosed DVD' s with GC each disc was 1.5 gb big.
Thats why some games was on 2 disc' s.
a DVD9 is more then fine for this gen.
vdig

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 08:53
I concur. DVD-9 is still not dead yet. Games on the X-Box or PS2 did not often take up even half of the full DVD-9s they used. With Nintendo' s current path, that disc format is perfect.
QuezcatoL

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 20:34
9 gb should be fine.
And yes even enchant arm creator said if the game would be over 9 gb thanks to cutscenes he would just use 2 dvd' s.

In FF9 we had 4.

Tales of symphonia that looks better and plays better then many ps2 rpg' s used 2 disc but 2 gc disc' which is 1.5gb+1.5gb basically 3 gb for a 70 hours cell shading rpg.

My point is,if 9 gb isn' t more then fine for you,then you have either putted in a lot of HD CGI,and have no knowledge of compression technique.
And lets say you make a game even bigger then OB or ehcnated arms,then you could do as with Gamecube or Playstation use more then 1 disc,1 dvd cost like a cd and its no problem to produce two in each games for a low cost.

< Message edited by quezcatol -- 17 May 06 12:36:29 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 17, 2006 23:45

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYNZ90kB2wk&feature=Views&page=1&t=t&f=b

Cool,look at this on how Nintendo wii eject dvd' s.

I' m more interested with the other things sitting on his desk! What was that little controller, and was the Wii remote in a LIGHTGUN DOCK?! SWEET!
vdig

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 18, 2006 07:55
Yep. I' ve seen the Zapper 2.0 and classic shells before on Gamespot. They look nice, don' t they?
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 18, 2006 13:33
Rayman 4 stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESnyJ7jg9TM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kEKtKcyI3M

New to me at least Zelda Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbnIJkXJYJ8
< Message edited by Kannon -- 18 May 06 5:45:50 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 19, 2006 05:09
Seen the video of the line at E3...?

THE LINE
vdig

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 19, 2006 10:52
Yeah saw it before... but wait. *thinks about MGS3 for a bit*

The Line.

THE LINE!!! *explodes*
stephen ashaley

• Total Posts : 48
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 19, 2006 11:16
it' s very bad for nintendo i don' t want hear anymore finish
dasher232

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 19, 2006 22:53
Has anyone read about the swedish newspaper than thinks the wii (still not used to it) is going to be 2500-3000kr ($340-$400) if thats true it' s a lot more than I expected.

Also have you guys heard what yarton' s been saying?.

I' d love to dig up some old Phil Harrison comments and say ' hang on a second - six months ago when we launched our controller you said one thing, and now why are you doing this?' I don' t know what their decision making process is but I think if you look back, any innovation that has come in gameplay has come from us.
Historically we' re always developing new things. We know Sony have had a lot of issues with their rumble feature and they' ve had to withdraw it - because they didn' t innovate, they copied. With Nintendo, I' m trying to think of anything we' ve copied... but I can' t.

http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=1039
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 19 May 06 18:10:21 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 20, 2006 02:44
Here' s the link to the article in the swedish newspaper, article is in swedish:
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=545663

This is what it' s all about:
Dagens Nyheter is the biggest morning newspaper in Sweden.
According to their article Nintendo' s stock rates rose with 6 percent after E3.
Further down the article Patrik Johansson at Nintendo' s general agent main office in Sweden says that the Wii will cost about 2500-3000 SEK (swedish kronor), which is about 262-314 Euro, 178-213 GB£ or 334-401 US$ (according to exchange rates at Forex 2006-05-19).
Note that the swedish taxes are higher than those of your average country so don' t expect prices to be that high elsewhere.
He also believes that Sony and Microsoft will follow Nintendo' s new path and that this might give birth to a new debate about videogames. The reason would be that it feels even more real when you aim a weapon with the Wii-mote.

So, it wasn' t estimated by the newspaper, it was an comment from an employee at Nintendo' s general agent.
And the price will not be the same in other countries since you have lower tax rates. And what says that this Johansson guy knows everything?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 19 May 06 18:49:16 >
dasher232

RE: The Nintendo Wii - May 20, 2006 02:51
I forgot about taxes for a while and thanks for the link I forgot that too.
Change Page: << < ..11121314151617 > | Showing page 14 of 17, messages 261 to 280 of 339

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll