Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 Controller???
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 83
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 08:32
A stong Rumble drains the battery I would imagine, the wii only uses a very weak one to a).save the battery and b).to avoid shakeing the aim of the wiimote but that one dosent really apply here as you are holding the ps3 pad with both hands.

Sure, rumble will be missed, but i dont really care, i never was frantastic about the idea, sure it was cool getting the rumble pack and duel shock for the first time back in the beginging of the 3d Generation, but does it enhance gameplay? name a game that ever seriously used it?

And Sony are caught up with the Technogly behind it, to avoid futher lawsuits, they had to do something about it. And that was, to drop it.

When I said watch the videos of the game being played, I didnt mean the one on the sony pre e3 show, that guy looked like an idiot waving the pad around like that, the wiimote require much larger swings for games like red steel. from what i seen,the ps3 pad just needs tilts in the general direction.

But who knows how this will all work out. Tgs [or is it?] is the next big event for ps3, lots of games will be shown just pior to launch. hopefully we will get a better understanding then the just 2 weeks old code put in the last second to take advantage of the controller.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 08:54

A stong Rumble drains the battery I would imagine

360' s pad manages just fine.

name a game that ever seriously used it?

Well driving games and FPS' will be different without it. The original MGS made fantastic use of the rumble feature!

And Sony are caught up with the Technogly behind it, to avoid futher lawsuits, they had to do something about it. And that was, to drop it.

So why didn' t they just say that instead of being retarded and claiming that it was " old gen" ?! Is gaming without force feedback 4D?!

What they SHOULD have done is develop their own technology or licence another type, but that would cost money and they can' t afford to do that.

When I said watch the videos of the game being played, I didnt mean the one on the sony pre e3 show, that guy looked like an idiot waving the pad around like that

I know, i was being sarcastic. I don' t understand why that goon was waving the pad about like that though. I hope he knows he looked stupid!

But who knows how this will all work out. Tgs [or is it?] is the next big event for ps3, lots of games will be shown just pior to launch. hopefully we will get a better understanding then the just 2 weeks old code put in the last second to take advantage of the controller.

Agreed. Sony will unveil most of their Japanese games at TGS to build massive hype just weeks before launch. It' s a shame about their lack of quality titles at E3 though. I really wanted to see Lair and DMC4!
vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 09:27

What they SHOULD have done is develop their own technology or licence another type, but that would cost money and they can' t afford to do that.

Huh? Sony, that big lug of a corporation, can not AFFORD research into a new rumble technology? I thought those guys were a rich, global company that can afford whatever. Hmm... maybe I should look into their stocks and non-gaming news to get a sense of where the mother corp. is financially. Still, it SOUNDS rediculous that they can' t afford it. If they are serious, which they should be, the only reasons they would not have rumble is either because they truly are under enough woes as it is with PS3 production, or that they are simply underestimating the impact the technology, or lack thereof, makes on the games they have.

Microsoft' s 360 controllers last quite long enough even with their rumble features, so that should not be an excuse. Heck, I really share Kojima' s sentiment. Now, if Snake has a leech or something, I won' t be able to tell when Snake is getting hungry/tired, unless I look at the gauge! Of course, if I' m busy looking at that all the time, I' m seriously gonna be caught by gurads when my attention gets divided.
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 09:35

Huh? Sony, that big lug of a corporation, can not AFFORD research into a new rumble technology? I thought those guys were a rich, global company that can afford whatever. Hmm... maybe I should look into their stocks and non-gaming news to get a sense of where the mother corp. is financially.

Don' t make yourself sound like an idiot. It' s been well publicised that Sony' s gaming devision have used most of their available funds to develop Blu-Ray and PS3. Their loss to Immersion, the delay of both Blu-Ray and PS3 and the huge amount of bad press they have recieved has had extremely negative effects on their stock prices.

The majority of Sony' s profit comes from their gaming devision and right now they aren' t in an enviable position. They have had to spend a huge amount of money developing Sony Hub, and an online service such as that costs an immense omount of money to develop and maintain. So if Sony can avoid the costs that would be incurred by both researching,developing and then manufacturing their own rumble tech, the will.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 09:56
In fifa when you gonna shot the penalties and the rumble hit like a heartbeat is very cool.
Also when holding down fire with your gun in some fps or action game and you feel that rumble,now that is nice.
vdig

• Total Posts : 226
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 10:37
You are right. Sorry I made myself sound dumb.

" Remember, thou art mortal. Remember, thou art..."
" Oh, put a sock in it!"

In fifa when you gonna shot the penalties and the rumble hit like a heartbeat is very cool.
Also when holding down fire with your gun in some fps or action game and you feel that rumble,now that is nice.

Which is why we will miss it when we play on the PS3. Hopefully, Sony leaves some sort of rumble code in for third party peripheral attempts... but I doubt it.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 11:09
It' s really nice in games to have rumble to help you know when you' re getting shot.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 17:26
Playing a game without rumble is like playing a game without sound. It may not be the essence of the game but it sure adds a lot to the experience.
Taking that away is just sad because now PS3 games won' t be as exciting as they could' ve been.
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 18:37
Indeed. In Resi 4 on GameCube the pad goes nuts when anything explodes close to you, or when a boss character is transforming into some demented, genetic abomination.

I feel that although rumble isn' t a huge part of the experience for everything it adds to so much for certain types of games. While the whole rushed-in tilt mechanism will add much less due to it' s limited frame of movement.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 14 May 06 10:37:32 >
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 19:43

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

It' s really nice in games to have rumble to help you know when you' re getting shot.

So true because sometimes in some like halo or even ones like tomb raider you don' t realise you' re being hit from behind or from an angle and the rumble is a real help especially if you' re in a dark area.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 23:28
You know, I think the tilt feature is going to be largely ignored by the developers anyway.

for one thing, it' s just tilt...not really motion sensing, so the application possibilities are going to be pretty limited. Racing, flying....that' s about it. Maybe somebody will try to implement it in an adventure game...somehow...i dunno.

And even for those genre' s the idea of tilting the controller sounds more exhausting than fun to me. I' m sitting there watching the Warhawk demo thinking " damn, i hope i can turn that tilt crap off..."

Rumble, on the other hand, i' ve never turned off. And it' s used in pretty much every game to some degree. It' s gonna feel weird when it' s gone...
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 14 May 06 15:31:23 >
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:10
What you guys need to remember is that companies like Logitech have licenced Immersions force feedback technology, so you WILL be able to play PS3 games that are developed with rumble features in mind.

Playing RE4 using a Wavebird just isn' t the same as using an official controller because there' s no force feedback. Sony now putting the tech in their own pads isn' t the big problem some people seem to think because all they ahve to do is let 3rd party companies who HAVE licenced the technology make pads exactly the same shape as Sony' s own official ones.

It was stupid to call it " old gen" though!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:14

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

What you guys need to remember is that companies like Logitech have licenced Immersions force feedback technology, so you WILL be able to play PS3 games that are developed with rumble features in mind.

Playing RE4 using a Wavebird just isn' t the same as using an official controller because there' s no force feedback. Sony now putting the tech in their own pads isn' t the big problem some people seem to think because all they ahve to do is let 3rd party companies who HAVE licenced the technology make pads exactly the same shape as Sony' s own official ones.

It was stupid to call it " old gen" though!

But will developers have that in mind or will they assume that 99% of all PS3 owners only use the official Sony controllers?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:19
yes, rumble ps3 pads will be easily got sooner or later, hell sony might even realse their own version given enough time [like the orginal duel shock]
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:19
I think Sony will work their way around not having to licence the technology themselves (since they aren' t allowed) and will work in conjunction with 3rd parties to make it available in most games.

I think developers will be told that they can still use force feedback, i just think that Sony rushed a pad together with the tilt funtion and haven' t yet briefed developers properly yet, but since developers have been working on their titles using a Dual Shock 2 anyway there' s a good chance that the game s already in development already have feedback functionality.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 06:26

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on
I think developers will be told that they can still use force feedback, i just think that Sony rushed a pad together with the tilt funtion and haven' t yet briefed developers properly yet, but since developers have been working on their titles using a Dual Shock 2 anyway there' s a good chance that the game s already in development already have feedback functionality.

I think they rushed it together aswell but the other thing is will they be prepared to put the time they have left into trying to modify the controller further and working around duel shock for something similar. It would also have been great if you could connect your ps2 controller into the port.
SABREWOLF581

• Total Posts : 92
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 07:41
guys this isnt the first time that nintendo get copied.
nintendo first shown the cross on your pad
nintendo first shown the back buttons l and r of snes its todays l1 and r1 of sonys.
nintendo first shown rubling pack now all have one
nintendo first make the true 3d gameplay (mario 64)
what can i say someone must lead the market and show the way
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 07:45

nintendo first make the true 3d gameplay (mario 64)

Quake.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 07:48
Nintendo copy ps2,they gonna use DVD player in their nintendo wii,they are fucking leachers!!!

< Message edited by quezcatol -- 14 May 06 23:48:39 >
SABREWOLF581

• Total Posts : 92
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 08:20
thats right
nintendo always makes quake firsts
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 21 to 40 of 83

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages