PS3 Controller???

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 83
Duffman
  • Total Posts : 1096
  • Reward points : 5600
PS3 Controller??? - May 11, 2006 04:09
Am I the only person to think that Sony have completely copied Nintendo? I just wonder would Sony have used motion sensing technology had Nintendo not came up with their controller? I dont think so. I dont buy that Sony had this idea in development for ages either. The fact that they didnt announce this when they showed their Banana controller last year proves this because why would they have left it out? I know that it wont have the same capability as the Wii controller but it was still a cheap move by Sony.

vdig
  • Total Posts : 226
  • Reward points : 0
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 11, 2006 09:41
Not just Nintendo. Look at the PS3' s equivalent of the 360 guide button. Now, on 3, we laugh.

3! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You wa Shock!!!

Pyrii
  • Total Posts : 42
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 11, 2006 10:35
Nothing about PS3 is New, hell the cell chip has been in use for over a year in SGI workstations and at full capacity, the one in PS3 will only be working at 3/4 capacity.
Motion sensing, quick addition and badly done, serious lag between moving and it happening.
Internet service... too easy.

Seriously, isn' t the idea behind starting a new business or making a new product to have something fresh and new that people need?

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 11, 2006 10:43

Am I the only person to think that Sony have completely copied Nintendo?

...Am I the only person to think that duplicate threads are dumb?....
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

vdig
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 11, 2006 10:50
Oops, yeah this be dupe.
You wa Shock!!!

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 11, 2006 11:21
Makes you wonder whether PS3 supporters would rather have the concepted boomerang controller, or this new ' innovative' one with the classic look?

If PS3 wants to be a jack(ass)-of-all-trades, let ' em be. Jamming these hastily copied features in are just going to wreck havoc on gameplay IMO. Imagine controlling Snake with that ' six-degree' of freedom thing...

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 03:49
I have to say Byakko that I didn' t treat your posts seriously and didn' t think you' d stick for so long :)

that was a hasty judgement you are a 100% gamer and you know your stuff - cool

Kyo.k
  • Total Posts : 324
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 03:54
I would rather have the batarang controller with proper triggers than Sony' s botched Dual Shock for PS3.

The whole motion thing is being done far better by Nintendo so I will go with Wii for that, and leave PS3 for games that need a regular control pad but also have the capacity to be inovative or different. (like Okami on PS2)
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 11 May 06 19:55:14 >

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 05:40
I dont care if people copy stuff just better for us consumers,about the design its looks okay,dualshock is a great controller,but...ahum mayby they could changed some stuff like the r and l shoulder buttons.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

nekkid_monkey
  • Total Posts : 818
  • Reward points : 1280
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 08:24
so, they took out rumble, a feature which i actually appreciate in my games....

then they put in a half-assed motion-sensing tech. I say half-assed because i don' t think they thought it trough fully.

Nntendo' s is made to be held in one hand like a remote...

I think that' s going to feel a lot better than a two-handed controller that tilts....

It' s simple logic really. If it' s made for two hands, in order to get the precision you' re going to need for motion sensing games you' re going to have to use two hands...making it really difficult to play in a relaxed position.

A little test of my theory...hold your tv remote in your hand and pretend you' re playing tennis on screen...now do the same thing with your dual-shock....

Innovation is useless if it' s counter-intuitive.

At least they added triggers this time....it took them long enough. Hell, sega figured that one out back on the saturn.

QuezcatoL
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 08:28
Phil harrison said the rumble feature is so old gen.

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 08:36
Of course phil is gonna say that it' s sour grapes syndrome. They were more or less in the same boat with microsoft with the whole rumble feature thing they chose to try and save themselves money by prolonging the case when microsoft just walked off and left them to it. Seeing microsoft still being able to utilize dual shock. Not only that but the irony lies in the fact that microsoft also has stock in immersion so sony paying them for dual shock would be a slap in the face. Also I think (correct me if i' m wrong) but seeing as sony' s selling their console at 599 it costs apparently 900 to make so they' re looking at a 299 (say 300) loss per console compared to ms' s 126 and nintendo ...well not much I shouldn' t think ...so that added wouldn' t be nice (oh multiplied by the 6 million they plan on shifting)

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Phil harrison said the rumble feature is so old gen.

Old gen ...sure phil and a knock off idea of gyroscopes is the answer....
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 12 May 06 1:18:40 >

nekkid_monkey
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 08:37
if i' m holding a normal controller and you want me to choose tilt or rumble, i choose rumble.

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 09:47
Over the years I' ve found that I' ve become quite dependant on rumble. I can feel when I' m doing a good drift in PGR3 (any racing game for that matter) and I can prevent oversteering. When a game tries to alert me of something behind me (like being shot at from behind) I can quickly recover. I can use the rhythm of rumble when the opponent punches me to time my counters properly in DOA3/4. These are just to name a few.

I was surpised at how much I used rumble without me even knowing it.

vdig
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 09:51
Rumble will surely be missed for things like driving games and the sense of grip and similar things. Perhaps they will release a peripheral wheel with rumble for something like that... but then again, the PS3 is expensive enough as is without the need to buy a force feedback wheel.
You wa Shock!!!

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 09:56
This is kinda, ' duh' ! Not to mention that fact they ripped off of MS too, since they have that new ' guide' button in the middle of the controller. It looks so tiny I thought it was just a decal =/

dasher232
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 12, 2006 20:14
You could hardly notice it but what I was thinking would it work the same way as ms' s or is it just there to fill the sapace.

Marink
  • Total Posts : 884
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 13, 2006 21:34
How many Sony fanboys ripped the Wii controller when it was revealed? I know tons. No doubt all of them love the idea of Motion Sensors now.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 03:02
On a postive note, looking back on the warhawk footage [with the guy playing beside the tv] it looks fun, even if it is ripped off. I dont really care for rumble, its nice to have, but i' d pick motion sensers over it.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 04:24

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

On a postive note, looking back on the warhawk footage [with the guy playing beside the tv] it looks fun, even if it is ripped off. I dont really care for rumble, its nice to have, but i' d pick motion sensers over it.

You' re serious?!

NOBODY will want to play a game like that, it' s how my grandmother uses a pad. Nintendo' s remote doesn' t require such big movements and for good reason. There' s no way on Earth that i would sit waving the pad about like a goon trying to control the game!

Several developers have shunned Sony for dropping force feedback, most notably your freind Kojima. Even the trigger like L2/R2 buttons looks stupid.

I hate the Dual Shock 2 anyway but at least they have changed the analog sticks to make them indented like other pads. Now they need to change the d-pad, ...if they do that then i' ll be happier.

With any luck a 3rd party who HAS licenced Immersions technology will have a rumble enabled pad available at launch!

Silentbomber
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 08:32
A stong Rumble drains the battery I would imagine, the wii only uses a very weak one to a).save the battery and b).to avoid shakeing the aim of the wiimote but that one dosent really apply here as you are holding the ps3 pad with both hands.

Sure, rumble will be missed, but i dont really care, i never was frantastic about the idea, sure it was cool getting the rumble pack and duel shock for the first time back in the beginging of the 3d Generation, but does it enhance gameplay? name a game that ever seriously used it?

And Sony are caught up with the Technogly behind it, to avoid futher lawsuits, they had to do something about it. And that was, to drop it.

When I said watch the videos of the game being played, I didnt mean the one on the sony pre e3 show, that guy looked like an idiot waving the pad around like that, the wiimote require much larger swings for games like red steel. from what i seen,the ps3 pad just needs tilts in the general direction.

But who knows how this will all work out. Tgs [or is it?] is the next big event for ps3, lots of games will be shown just pior to launch. hopefully we will get a better understanding then the just 2 weeks old code put in the last second to take advantage of the controller.

Nitro
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 08:54

A stong Rumble drains the battery I would imagine

360' s pad manages just fine.

name a game that ever seriously used it?

Well driving games and FPS' will be different without it. The original MGS made fantastic use of the rumble feature!

And Sony are caught up with the Technogly behind it, to avoid futher lawsuits, they had to do something about it. And that was, to drop it.

So why didn' t they just say that instead of being retarded and claiming that it was " old gen" ?! Is gaming without force feedback 4D?!

What they SHOULD have done is develop their own technology or licence another type, but that would cost money and they can' t afford to do that.

When I said watch the videos of the game being played, I didnt mean the one on the sony pre e3 show, that guy looked like an idiot waving the pad around like that

I know, i was being sarcastic. I don' t understand why that goon was waving the pad about like that though. I hope he knows he looked stupid!

But who knows how this will all work out. Tgs [or is it?] is the next big event for ps3, lots of games will be shown just pior to launch. hopefully we will get a better understanding then the just 2 weeks old code put in the last second to take advantage of the controller.

Agreed. Sony will unveil most of their Japanese games at TGS to build massive hype just weeks before launch. It' s a shame about their lack of quality titles at E3 though. I really wanted to see Lair and DMC4!

vdig
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 09:27

What they SHOULD have done is develop their own technology or licence another type, but that would cost money and they can' t afford to do that.

Huh? Sony, that big lug of a corporation, can not AFFORD research into a new rumble technology? I thought those guys were a rich, global company that can afford whatever. Hmm... maybe I should look into their stocks and non-gaming news to get a sense of where the mother corp. is financially. Still, it SOUNDS rediculous that they can' t afford it. If they are serious, which they should be, the only reasons they would not have rumble is either because they truly are under enough woes as it is with PS3 production, or that they are simply underestimating the impact the technology, or lack thereof, makes on the games they have.

Microsoft' s 360 controllers last quite long enough even with their rumble features, so that should not be an excuse. Heck, I really share Kojima' s sentiment. Now, if Snake has a leech or something, I won' t be able to tell when Snake is getting hungry/tired, unless I look at the gauge! Of course, if I' m busy looking at that all the time, I' m seriously gonna be caught by gurads when my attention gets divided.
You wa Shock!!!

Nitro
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 09:35

Huh? Sony, that big lug of a corporation, can not AFFORD research into a new rumble technology? I thought those guys were a rich, global company that can afford whatever. Hmm... maybe I should look into their stocks and non-gaming news to get a sense of where the mother corp. is financially.

Don' t make yourself sound like an idiot. It' s been well publicised that Sony' s gaming devision have used most of their available funds to develop Blu-Ray and PS3. Their loss to Immersion, the delay of both Blu-Ray and PS3 and the huge amount of bad press they have recieved has had extremely negative effects on their stock prices.

The majority of Sony' s profit comes from their gaming devision and right now they aren' t in an enviable position. They have had to spend a huge amount of money developing Sony Hub, and an online service such as that costs an immense omount of money to develop and maintain. So if Sony can avoid the costs that would be incurred by both researching,developing and then manufacturing their own rumble tech, the will.

QuezcatoL
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 09:56
In fifa when you gonna shot the penalties and the rumble hit like a heartbeat is very cool.
Also when holding down fire with your gun in some fps or action game and you feel that rumble,now that is nice.

vdig
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 10:37
You are right. Sorry I made myself sound dumb.

" Remember, thou art mortal. Remember, thou art..."
" Oh, put a sock in it!"

In fifa when you gonna shot the penalties and the rumble hit like a heartbeat is very cool.
Also when holding down fire with your gun in some fps or action game and you feel that rumble,now that is nice.

Which is why we will miss it when we play on the PS3. Hopefully, Sony leaves some sort of rumble code in for third party peripheral attempts... but I doubt it.
You wa Shock!!!

locopuyo
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points : 41070
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 11:09
It' s really nice in games to have rumble to help you know when you' re getting shot.
"If you knew how good I am you would think I'm modest."

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 17:26
Playing a game without rumble is like playing a game without sound. It may not be the essence of the game but it sure adds a lot to the experience.
Taking that away is just sad because now PS3 games won' t be as exciting as they could' ve been.

Kyo.k
  • Total Posts : 324
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 18:37
Indeed. In Resi 4 on GameCube the pad goes nuts when anything explodes close to you, or when a boss character is transforming into some demented, genetic abomination.

I feel that although rumble isn' t a huge part of the experience for everything it adds to so much for certain types of games. While the whole rushed-in tilt mechanism will add much less due to it' s limited frame of movement.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 14 May 06 10:37:32 >

dasher232
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 19:43

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

It' s really nice in games to have rumble to help you know when you' re getting shot.

So true because sometimes in some like halo or even ones like tomb raider you don' t realise you' re being hit from behind or from an angle and the rumble is a real help especially if you' re in a dark area.

nekkid_monkey
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 14, 2006 23:28
You know, I think the tilt feature is going to be largely ignored by the developers anyway.

for one thing, it' s just tilt...not really motion sensing, so the application possibilities are going to be pretty limited. Racing, flying....that' s about it. Maybe somebody will try to implement it in an adventure game...somehow...i dunno.

And even for those genre' s the idea of tilting the controller sounds more exhausting than fun to me. I' m sitting there watching the Warhawk demo thinking " damn, i hope i can turn that tilt crap off..."

Rumble, on the other hand, i' ve never turned off. And it' s used in pretty much every game to some degree. It' s gonna feel weird when it' s gone...
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 14 May 06 15:31:23 >

Nitro
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:10
What you guys need to remember is that companies like Logitech have licenced Immersions force feedback technology, so you WILL be able to play PS3 games that are developed with rumble features in mind.

Playing RE4 using a Wavebird just isn' t the same as using an official controller because there' s no force feedback. Sony now putting the tech in their own pads isn' t the big problem some people seem to think because all they ahve to do is let 3rd party companies who HAVE licenced the technology make pads exactly the same shape as Sony' s own official ones.

It was stupid to call it " old gen" though!

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:14

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

What you guys need to remember is that companies like Logitech have licenced Immersions force feedback technology, so you WILL be able to play PS3 games that are developed with rumble features in mind.

Playing RE4 using a Wavebird just isn' t the same as using an official controller because there' s no force feedback. Sony now putting the tech in their own pads isn' t the big problem some people seem to think because all they ahve to do is let 3rd party companies who HAVE licenced the technology make pads exactly the same shape as Sony' s own official ones.

It was stupid to call it " old gen" though!

But will developers have that in mind or will they assume that 99% of all PS3 owners only use the official Sony controllers?

Silentbomber
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:19
yes, rumble ps3 pads will be easily got sooner or later, hell sony might even realse their own version given enough time [like the orginal duel shock]

Nitro
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 01:19
I think Sony will work their way around not having to licence the technology themselves (since they aren' t allowed) and will work in conjunction with 3rd parties to make it available in most games.

I think developers will be told that they can still use force feedback, i just think that Sony rushed a pad together with the tilt funtion and haven' t yet briefed developers properly yet, but since developers have been working on their titles using a Dual Shock 2 anyway there' s a good chance that the game s already in development already have feedback functionality.

dasher232
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 06:26

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on
I think developers will be told that they can still use force feedback, i just think that Sony rushed a pad together with the tilt funtion and haven' t yet briefed developers properly yet, but since developers have been working on their titles using a Dual Shock 2 anyway there' s a good chance that the game s already in development already have feedback functionality.

I think they rushed it together aswell but the other thing is will they be prepared to put the time they have left into trying to modify the controller further and working around duel shock for something similar. It would also have been great if you could connect your ps2 controller into the port.

SABREWOLF581
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 07:41
guys this isnt the first time that nintendo get copied.
nintendo first shown the cross on your pad
nintendo first shown the back buttons l and r of snes its todays l1 and r1 of sonys.
nintendo first shown rubling pack now all have one
nintendo first make the true 3d gameplay (mario 64)
what can i say someone must lead the market and show the way

Nitro
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 07:45

nintendo first make the true 3d gameplay (mario 64)

Quake.

QuezcatoL
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 07:48
Nintendo copy ps2,they gonna use DVD player in their nintendo wii,they are fucking leachers!!!

< Message edited by quezcatol -- 14 May 06 23:48:39 >

SABREWOLF581
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 15, 2006 08:20
thats right
nintendo always makes quake firsts

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 40 of 83