Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 Controller???
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 61 to 80 of 83
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 08:17
Sony didn' t WANT to remove the force feedback they HAVE to. They aren' t allowed to use it. If they could then they most certainly would and the people seemingly defending the fact that it HAS been removed DO sound like idiotic fanboys (i HATE that word!)
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 08:18
the rumble feature is good in racing game, in GT4 it' s really wonderful but we can live without it, sure it' s a disapointement, but that technology look more interesting to me and if i have a choice between both , of course i would give up the rumble ?? who agree with me ?? rumble or motion sensoring?,
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 08:22
Rumble.

Since the tilt funtion of the PS3 controller is more of a " me too" and won' t often get used properly i' d rather have the force feedBACK.

Nintendo' s controller has been built that way from the gound up and is more advanced so i' m not worried about it not being used or being used badly.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 08:27
it' s already being used in a good way, look at warhawk, and that' s a work of 10 days according to the developer !!

Since the tilt funtion of the PS3 controller is more of a " me too"

that' s no argument man.

if nintendo is more advanced (and yes that' s for sure) it dioesn' t mean the ps3 controler suck? for god sake do you just realise your logic ??
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 08:27
I' d have to stick with rumble to be honest, mainly because as far as we know the best of motion sensing is better had on the wii and even then it' s all new stuff thats more pro-active with what looks like a delay in between sometimes (not saying I wouln' t give it a try of course).
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 19:18
Let' s be clear about this.
The new controller is worse than the old Dual Shock.
1. It' s got a terrible d-pad which makes every fighting game (and lots of other great genres) a pain on the PS3.
2. They' ve removed the rumble feature. Even though you didn' t like it much before you always had the option to turn it off. Nothing positive can be said about the fact that it' s gone.
3. They' ve added motion-sensing technology to a controller that hasn' t been designed for that kind of feature which makes using it uncomfortable.
4. The motion-sensing technology isn' t as advanced as Nintendo' s which only gives it the same funtionality as a regular analog stick though in a more gimmicky fashion.

If they only would' ve made those small tweaks with the analog sticks, the triggers and added the Home button, then I would' ve been kind of satisfied.
If they would have done that, kept the rumble and added a new d-pad (preferably similar to the Saturns) then I would have called it the best controller ever created.
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 19:22
That was a perfect post!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 19:35
I have my moments.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 19:39
I still think its a bad controller. Using both analog sticks at the same time gives severe thumb aches!
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 19:41
for me it was a solid 8/10 then you mentioned the saturns d-pad, and i drifted off into a homer style drool-ing " uuunngh...saturn d-pad...." yum...

you were obviously in the zone when you pulled that one out!

I actually find myself wishing they had copied the 360 controller now
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 19:49

I actually find myself wishing they had copied the 360 controller now

Now that my friend is true, the 360 controller is the best controller ever! Now i havent played many games that took use in the dp in my day, well i have but that was when analog sticks wasnt on the controller, and i dont remember what a good d-pad feels like, but the 360 one, does leave me wanting a bit more in DOA, a bit more precision would be sexy!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 20:30

I still think its a bad controller. Using both analog sticks at the same time gives severe thumb aches!

Too right. I always pay the price for not cutting my thumb nails short enough,
the battle scars I have from many a session at using the two anologue sticks
together...

the 360 controller is the best controller ever!

Hahaha... good 1... But I think every man and his parakeet knows that the
gamecube pad is the best.. Playing first person shooters with that is like playing
with silk..
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 20:46

I always pay the price for not cutting my thumb nails short enough,
together...

How dyu manage that?? You must have big thumbs, heh.

Personally I had no problems with the PS pad' s layout cos I' ve got small hands. The old XBox pad was huge, and I couldn' t even reach some of the buttons! [:' (] I' m gald they' ve shrunk it a bit for 360. I suppose they were thinking of the poor small handed Japanese people...
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 16, 2006 20:49

gamecube pad is the best.. Playing first person shooters with that is like playing
with silk..

I disagree. As much as i like the Gamecube pad (and Wavebird), i think the d-pad is too small, the right analog stick although perfectly placed should have been an actual stick like the left one rather than a nub, and i think the buttons are stupid. It' s better than the Dual Shock 2 (i HATE the Dual Shock 2), but nowhere near as perfeact as 360' s pad.

The only issue with the 360 pad is the d-pad. It' s a shame too because Microsoft even contracted Sega to help design the console and pad. The Saturn d-pad has never been surpassed!

I actually think that the PS3 concept controller would have been much nicer than the one they will be using....

...the d-pad would definately need to have been changed (it' s at a wierd angle too) but i think the analog sticks although still placed wrong look much more comfortable than the Dual Shock 2' s. The shoulder buttons look odd but my guess is that they are reachable. It just needed triggers really.

It was actually much smaller than the pictures of it make it look as you can see here...

...i would have preferred to use that!

What i find amusing is what Joystiq said about the ACTUAL controller...

At first grip, the PS3 controller was light -- too light. It felt cheap, like one of those third party knockoffs

In practice, the sensing system felt tacked on, at least, tacked on to this Warhawk demo. The sensitivity certainly needed tweaking (it was overly sensitive), as did the response time

Our thumbs didn' t rest well on the analogue sticks and we found ourselves searching for a spot to put them.

< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 16 May 06 12:53:05 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 17, 2006 03:13
the funny thing is - Nintendo uses much more sophisticated sensors and it still has rumble feature :)
dasher232

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 17, 2006 03:17
I didn' t realise how small the boomerang was.
Nitro

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 17, 2006 03:41

ORIGINAL: dasher232

I didn' t realise how small the boomerang was.

I know, that' s my point. Looks way cooler than the Dual Shock 2 now doesn' t it!
dasher232

RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 17, 2006 03:46
Yeah I like it a lot more now seeing as it isn' t as big as some made out, and it matches the machine. I wonder if it would have come in black to match the system aswell.
Wolfjack

• Total Posts : 36
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 17, 2006 05:51

The Xb360 controller is the pinnacle of traditional control pad design. It' s taken advantage of every advance made, up to the current generation, and utilized it in a mix of elegance and functionality.

The wiimote (god, I love that name) is the evolutionary next step that will allow for new kinds of functions and gameplay to flourish, and it' s influence will be vital if gaming is to not stagnate into just endless re-iterations of the same games under the guise of better graphics. After the next generation of consoles, the distinguishing features of the wiimote will become standard.

The DualShock3 is an evolutionary dead-end. Simple as that. It' s base is a design that is now almost a decade old, and has been developed over the years using half-baked, stolen ideas...

Hardware Designer1: hey that 3D Stick on the N64 controller looks nifty, we should put that on the PS controller, better yet, we one-up them by putting TWO on ours. how do we redesign the thing though? where should the sticks go?

Designer2: just stick them on anywhere. how about there and there? what does it matter if it' s not ergonomic? the idiots will get used to it, it' s not like they have a choice.

And now they' re pretty much repeating the process with their implementation of motion-sensing. Again, seemingly only half thought out.

I' m not a big fan of rumbling. On my wireless XB controller I actually keep it switched off to conserve battery life. But in games like RE4 and the racing games like some people mentioned, it adds immeasurably to the game, so I use it then.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: PS3 Controller??? - May 17, 2006 07:55

I always pay the price for not cutting my thumb nails short enough,
together...

It was only whenever I had to move both thumbsticks inwards, that was the only
time..

with silk..

I was just joking!!

The gamecube pad only works for Super Smash Bros Melee and Zelda games...

I would never place a gamecube pad above anything..
Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 4 of 5, messages 61 to 80 of 83

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message