Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 05:21
October 2006 issue of Game Informer.

-I was under the impression that the Wii' s motion sensing technology was much more advanced than the PlayStation 3' s. I heard that the PS3 will sense tilt, but the Wii will sense a whole range of motion. Everyone always talks about graphical differences in consoles, but I think it' s important to talk about these gameplay differences, too.
-Jonathan Davis
Leavenworth, KS

-In the debate over which console will dominate this holiday season, this is a point often brought up against Sony, and wrongly so. At this year' s E3, the only game at Sony' s booth to showcase the motion-sensing capabilities of the controller was Warhawk, and because that game only sensed tilt, the misconception spread that it was a limit of the controller' s function. We recently spoke to Sony representatives who confirmed that the PS3 controller is capable of recognizing all three axes (X, Y, Z), as well as positive and negative distance. In short, this means that the controller theoretically has the same motion-sensing potential as the Wii remote, but we won' t be able to compare how well either system uses that potential until we' re playing games on the final hardware.

Interesting...
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 25 Sep 06 0:39:42 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 25, 2006 06:29
This is becoming a joke.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 25, 2006 06:30
I just can' t understand sony.

Here europeans should wait to march?

When wii is coming out in novemember for them,and gears of war is coming also.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 25, 2006 07:13

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

I just can' t understand sony.

Here europeans should wait to march?

When wii is coming out in novemember for them,and gears of war is coming also.

Quez just what has that to do with the thread? or is it just more anti-sony fanboy crap?

As for the controller, i thought sony said that at e3 when it was announced well, acceleration, i doubt it' s as advanced as wii, at all.... But heck if it lets me play lair, can' t wait...
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 25, 2006 07:15
Anti-sony fanboy crap?

uumai you' re european right?

Then don' t you ask yourself,why dont we get some compensation?

Japanese gamers get price-cut just because they want one.

We get no one + delay.

Who is the fanboy?

The one who accept getting treating bad because of the love for the company(being fanboy),or the one who just ask what should be asked.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 24 Sep 06 23:27:21 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 25, 2006 08:38

Anti-sony fanboy crap?

We get no one + delay.

Who is the fanboy?

The one who accept getting treating bad because of the love for the company(being fanboy),or the one who just ask what should be asked.

You can' t stay in this abusive relationship forever Umaii. I know a good divorce lawyer, we can get you help, maybe even visitation rights for the little Blu-Ray movies.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 25 Sep 06 0:38:47 >
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 25, 2006 08:38
I doubt it... if word got out that the PS3' s controller could actually do that then there would probably be a massive uproar in the gamming community.

But, I can' t way to see the next next gen' s controllers...this might be the last time we see analog sticks...I' d be sad.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 08:50

I doubt it... if word got out that the PS3' s controller could actually do that then there would probably be a massive uproar in the gamming community.

Like when we found out the controller had tilt functionality?
Or like when we found out the PS3 would be 599 dollars?
Or like when we found out we wouldn' t have dual 1080?
Sony' s becoming an uproar a minute, and according to...

This Video (about 4:12 in)...

You can clearly hear Phil Harrison say X, Y, & Z, axis, nobody took notice, because everyone was too busy looking at Warhawk' s tilt only design.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 25 Sep 06 0:51:59 >
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 09:21
It can only do half of what the Wiimote can do.

the ps3 controller cannot act like a pointing device nor can it detect the position of the controller in 3D.

In other words no big deal.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 09:29

nor can it detect the position of the controller in 3D.

You' ve got a point with the first half, but if I' m correct, X Y & Z axis mentioned in the video imply 3D space, so I' m not sure you' re entirely right.
Nitro

RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 09:54
X = horizontal (from left to right)
Y = vertical (up and down)
Z = rotation (either rotating forward or backwards, or left and right)

That' s what the nunchuck can do.

However, ...if the PS3 controller can judge positive and negative distances then it becomes more complicated as a workaround could easily be found to mimic the Wiimotes pointer-like function.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 10:16

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

However, ...if the PS3 controller can judge positive and negative distances then it becomes more complicated as a workaround could easily be found to mimic the Wiimotes pointer-like function.

How exactly can it mimic pointer like functionality?
Nitro

RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 16:42

ORIGINAL: Terrak

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

How exactly can it mimic pointer like functionality?

You' d probably have to manipulate a fixed position, like a crosshair. It' d be pretty primitive, but if you had a dead zone, kinda like the one used in Red Steel, it' d be easier to control.
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 25 Sep 06 8:42:47 >
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 17:34
The thing that Wii-mote is for one hand makes it a superior move detector than DualNOshock3.

For racing or flying games it could work but many genres would be just uncomfortable to play.

I love what they do with lair though - you steer your dragon as if you were holding it' s leash.

I wonder how much of this is true though , since it' s been said right rom the start they they have tilt sensors there.
Nitro

RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 18:28

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

The thing that Wii-mote is for one hand makes it a superior move detector than DualNOshock3.

For racing or flying games it could work but many genres would be just uncomfortable to play.

I love what they do with lair though - you steer your dragon as if you were holding it' s leash.

I wonder how much of this is true though , since it' s been said right rom the start they they have tilt sensors there.

How reliable are Game Informer?!
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 18:39

apanese gamers get price-cut just because they want one.

Well the 360 costed about half of the european price in Japan as well, so...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 18:41
Interesting. The PS3s value rises even higher.
*runs from angry Sony-haters*

But wait! The SIXAXIS isn' t exactly ergonomically designed to be used with motion sensing technology so even though it has the technology it would feel awkward and forced to play with motion sensing features on the PS3.
*decreases running speed as Sony-haters agree*

And if the motion sensing deal really is good then Microsoft could release a pepipheral to be used in certain games.
*stops running as Sony-haters begin to think the PS3 is useless*

But then the 360 doesn' t have any good games and-
*RUNS LIKE HELL*
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 25, 2006 18:59
Game informer seems pretty reliable to me.

But this thing about Tilt sensors... seems really strange , but this PS3 thing is really evolving into something good.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 26, 2006 01:03

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

Anti-sony fanboy crap?

We get no one + delay.

Who is the fanboy?

Just for you quez....

I am a fanboy because i am not complaining about a price? Seriously, things in life aren' t always cheap, and I really don' t have any control over the price. Would I not buy a house to live in because it is expensive, or move out of the city because it is expensive housing/rent. No. Things are expensive sometimes, and I' m not going to sit around crying about it.
I would like that Sony release the lower model ps3 in uk (which hasn' t been given details on at all yet it seems) and for a nice low price.
I am not accepting getting treated bad because of my love for a company... I accept paying the asking price for something i would like to own, as a gamer who is looking for the games going nowhere else. If you believe you are being asked for more money than it deserves, then don' t buy it. I don' t give much of a damn about the companies since sega went 3rd party, I care for the machines though, and the experiences the machine brings.
So please, while i may prefer one platform to another, don' t confuse me with someone who loves Sony over M$ or Nintendo.

As for the delay of PS3 in Europe.. well, I was never planning to buy one this year anyway, so while I am sure Europeans who were are pissed off, I' m not affected by the delay. Europe usually gets the short end of the stick with hardware and software releases. I' m used to it, don' t like it, but not crying about it.

Oh, and yes... Anti-Sony fanboy crap. It seems that at almost every opportunity you are complaining about something to do with sony, whilst raising up M$ and their 360 on that shiny golden pedestal you have them on. Hell this thread was not even about price/delays and yet, you have to come in here complaining. Get over your frustration with it all, write a letter to Sony and complain, i' m sure you will feel better afterwards....
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Sixaxsis isn' t just tilt, says GI - Sep 26, 2006 01:11
Quez shouldn' t be taken seriously sometimes. He has taken he role of an extreme 360 fanboy, but it' s just a role. If you look at many of his posts you can see that he' s not for real.
Or... are you Quez? Please tell me you' re not because that' d scare me! You' re exaggerating your 360 love, right?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message