Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 24 of 24
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 26, 2006 09:49

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

You' d probably have to manipulate a fixed position, like a crosshair. It' d be pretty primitive, but if you had a dead zone, kinda like the one used in Red Steel, it' d be easier to control.

So it acts like an anolog stick more or less but one that you manipulate with your arms (instead of your thumbs)? Had it been for one hand it might work but moving both arms together seems a little more effort (IMO). Problem is that recentring would be a problem because the ps3 cannot detect the exact position of the controller it only detects the current position of the controller relative to its dead zone or centre point. Anyway i' m getting consfused and i' ll just wait and see how they implement the sixaxis on the ps3 before i pass final judgement, but if its only used for things like shaking off zombies then i won' t be impressed
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 26, 2006 10:07
I' m not saying it' s going to be an effective mechanism, I' m just saying it' s there.

Do I really expect too many people (if any) to use what could be pointer functionality in the PS3? No. There would be no ergonomic way to hold the controller to do that, you' d put tons of strain on your wrists, and it' d feel restricted compared to the Wii-mote & Nunchuk.
It' s just interesting that this was planned for ages, and now Nintendo is recognised for it. (It' s a dramatic pause while I clear my throat for Nintendo fans) I still think Nintendo is implementing it better, It' s just interesting that they weren' t the first.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 26, 2006 11:10

X = horizontal (from left to right)
Y = vertical (up and down)
Z = rotation (either rotating forward or backwards, or left and right)

Majik, that' s not correct technically.

X = left / right
Y = forward / backward
Z = up / down

(...depending on their preference for convention, a " y-up" space would mean that Y = up/down, or a " z-up" space would mean that Z = up/down.)

Not to say that this means that the PS3 controller lacks rotation sensing, I just wanted to clarify the meaning of the axes of 3D space.

EDIT: to further clarify, a controller that can sense not only moving in the three axes (technincally called " translation" ) but also rotation would be said to have 6 degrees of motion sensing... XYZ translation and XYZ rotation.
< Message edited by Zoy -- 26 Sep 06 3:12:53 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sixaxsis gets full Wiimote functionality - Sep 26, 2006 11:14

Not to say that this means that the PS3 controller lacks rotation sensing, I just wanted to clarify the meaning of the axes of 3D space.

Okay good, so either we' re having the same dilluted illusion, or we' re both right, because I didn' t think the description was totally on either.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 24 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message