Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Dec 27, 2004 16:38
Over the course of the PS2' s life, there have been very few games that even offered progressive scan. When playing games like this on an HDTV set, it can really, really look bad. Much worse than it does on a normal TV. With progressive scan (480p) it draws all 480 lines in one scan, like 640x480 on a VGA monitor. It looks much nicer.

Enter Gran Turismo 4. The developers originally said that they' d be able to have widescreen, but not progresive scan since they wanted to push the limits of what the PS2 can do, and offering 480p would would eat up way too many of the PS2' s extremely limited resourses. But then the game was delayed and now Gran Turismo not only offers widescreen 480p, but also 1080i high definition as well! It is quite clever how they did it. The resolution really isn' t more than 480p, but it just redraws the 480p image rapidly and interlaces it to provided more detail. It' s pretty clever, even if the true resolution is only 960i. But take a look at these (very large) comparison shots. There is quite a bit of difference!

This game looks to break the graphical barriers of the PS2 by a long shot, and even goes further than many Xbox games. Xbox has a few games that run at 1080i, but they can get a bit choppy and drop frames, etc when they do, and the detail seems to be a bit less in order to compensate. But here we have tons of polygons and 1080i from the freakin' PS2! The only test now is to see if it still runs at 60fps while in 1080i.

Congrats Sony. You did something that I approve of for once!

Nintendo, it' s your turn to offer a high definition game for the Gamecube! Wait, that won' t happen since Nintendo no longer includes the digital A/V port on new GC' s. :(

< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12/27/2004 4:43:13 PM >
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Dec 27, 2004 16:49
That looks horrible.
The textures make my eyes hurt.and 1080i wont fix that.
But ill see when it comes out on my HDTV.

Because i couldnt play GTA SA on my HDTV it looked so crappy.
< Message edited by russian mobster -- 12/27/2004 4:51:46 PM >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Dec 28, 2004 19:27
Hey, did anyone hear thius got delayed recently?
http://forums.kikizo.com/tm.asp?m=17232&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

;-)

It' s out now anyway, by all accounts.

Time to go get Kikizo' s Jap copy, I think...
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Dec 28, 2004 23:07
That' ll be pretty tough to play through. You won' t know what washer you are changing or which piece of lint you are removing from your car seat, and you could end up totally ruining the performance of your car.

< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12/28/2004 11:07:55 PM >
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Jan 04, 2005 00:59
Cool, nice find Joe.

I find that very interesting, even tho I don' t have an HD tv to check it out with. What I' d really love is one of those racing chairs with pedals, clutch, and stick all connected and a wide screen TV to play this game with. Oh man that would be literally insane.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Jan 04, 2005 06:09
I didn' t think PS2 could output 1080i?
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Gran Turismo 4 - First PS2 game in High Definition - Jan 04, 2005 06:18
After a little looking around, I found a site that mentions that only the new pstwo' s can support HDTV resolutions, and that the older models only do 480p, can anyone confirm this?

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll