Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 E3 no more?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 05:08
Next-Gen.Biz is reporting that the event that all video game journalists love to hate is no more. According to senior industry sources, larger exhibitors have decided the cost of exhibiting isn' t worth it for the media exposure gained.

E3 is known as the event of the year for everyone involved in the games industry, with more than 60,000 attendees and over 400 exhibitors making their way to the Los Angeles Convention Centre each year. If reports are to be believed, the event will be cancelled or moved to a much smaller venue, simply not able to cater for such a high number of attendees and exhibitors. Publishers may well opt to hold their own events, giving up on the collective event entirely.

The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) is expected to make an announcement as soon as Monday, clarifying exactly what is to happen to the gaming calendar' s biggest event.

If this does turn out to be true, then I may never accomplish what thousands of other lucky attendees have! Isn' t that just my luck, eh?[:' (]
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 05:12
The industry NEEDS E3. They' ll work out a solution somehow.
Marink

RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 05:27
I sure hope so, otherwise I would have lost any and all opportunities(and hope) of ever actually witnessing it' s glory with my own two eyes(which will probably have been in about a couple of years).
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 05:30
I believe it will be so!

What things were really announced at this years E3? Everything is announced before É3 at the companies own pre E3 press conferences!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 06:18
WOW.. I was actually comtemplating sitting out E3 next year, looks like the decision will be made for me if this happens!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 06:45

What things were really announced at this years E3? Everything is announced before É3 at the companies own pre E3 press conferences!

Thise conferences are considered to be a part of E3 - not for everyone, but they are connected.

I don' t think it would hurt us much - everyone has to wait till E3 with announcements - this way they can give new info away on daily basis :)

If someone wishes , he can make a nice showing like EA lately or like Nintendo' s Spaceworld.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 08:19
No!! how can they take Christmas away from us!?

How!!?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/30/e3-canceled-for-next-year-and-beyond/
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 10:50
Prior to E3, the major annual event that video game developers and console manufactures showcased their upcoming products at was the CES, or Consumer Electronics Show. If they do get rid of E3, they' ll come up with some other major event that serves the same function.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 10:57
Good riddance.
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 12:00
I doubt they' ll cancel E3 07. Odds are there will be drastic changes to like the location of E3, maybe the price to set up the booths, stuff like that. But I becha it' ll still be there.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 12:35
I hate having to wait like 5 months at the beggining of the year cause everyones saving surprises for a game show, it' d be much better to get news on a spread out monthyly basis than just in 1-shot at E3.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 31 Jul 06 4:36:04 >
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 13:21
Well this is sort of a downer. I love E3, its better then Christmas. I' m not worried that other events won' t pick up the slack but it was still cool knowing that there was a huge event every year dedicated towards videogames.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 17:10
I know what you mean , but this way, there won' t be this long boring period without announcements :)
Marink

RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 18:06
Well hopefully this doesn' t mean that it will be permanently canceled. If anything, I think it should just be downscaled. That may make the experience less impressive, but it is better than nothing.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 22:37
i hope they would change their mind, seriously , E3 became like a christmas for gamers or something, everybody is happy when the time comes, i don' t know about this idea of canceling it, is it any good to us? i hope they will kepp the conferences those are like 50% of the experience for me, this is where you see the giants fighting. wait and see.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: E3 no more? - Jul 31, 2006 22:52
PLease keep e3,a nightmare would be if sony/ms/nintendo had their own show each year...
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: E3 no more? - Aug 01, 2006 00:01
Make the Show Public, that way you can sure as hell make up in costs.

Dont say its impossible, Tgs is Public. Hell Tgs is FREE.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: E3 no more? - Aug 01, 2006 00:04
Exactly even if they charge the public a fee to get in I know people who would go. And tokyo game show always seem to be as interesting anyway.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: E3 no more? - Aug 01, 2006 03:27

Following multiple media reports over the weekend indicating that the ESA trade organization, which runs the massive E3 trade organization, would be making an announcement over E3' s future, the ESA has now released an official statement on the matter, reprinted in full below:

" To better address the needs of today’s global computer and video game industry, the 2007 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3Expo) is evolving into a more intimate event focused on targeted, personalized meetings and activities, the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) announced today.

“The world of interactive entertainment has changed since E3Expo was created 12 years ago. At that time we were focused on establishing the industry and securing orders for the holiday season,” said Douglas Lowenstein, President of the ESA, the trade association representing U.S. computer and video game publishers and the owner of E3Expo. “Over the years, it has become clear that we need a more intimate program, including higher quality, more personal dialogue with the worldwide media, developers, retailers and other key industry audiences.”

The new E3Expo will take shape over the next several months. As currently envisioned, it will still take place in Los Angeles, described by ESA as a “great and supportive partner helping to build E3.” It will focus on press events and small meetings with media, retail, development, and other key sectors. While there will be opportunities for game demonstrations, E3Expo 2007 will not feature the large trade show environment of previous years.

“E3Expo remains an important event for the industry and we want to keep that sense of excitement and interest, ensuring that the human and financial resources crucial to its success can be deployed productively to create an exciting new format to meet the needs of the industry. The new event ensures that there will be an effective and more efficient way for companies to get information to media, consumers, and others,” said Lowenstein.

Additionally, the evolution of the video game industry into a vibrant and expanding global market has led to the creation of major events in different regions, such as the Games Convention in Leipzig, the Tokyo Game Show, and company-specific events held by Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, and others around the world. As a result, Lowenstein said, “It is no longer necessary or efficient to have a single industry ‘mega-show’. By refocusing on a highly-targeted event, we think we can do a better job serving our members and the industry as a whole, and our members are energized about creating this new E3.”

So....it won' t be cancelled....just more ' ' targeted' ' .
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 31 Jul 06 19:28:26 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: E3 no more? - Aug 01, 2006 03:51
If E3 disappears then I, along with others won' t be able to use the famous phrase, " Wait till E3!" whenever a question is asked about a game still in development.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 29

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message