Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN.
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 10:30
www.cube.ign.com
www.psp.ign.com

Go to those two sites, and you' ll find IGN' s reviews for two very anticipated game releases, Death Jr. for Sony PSP, and Geist for Nintendo gamecube. Well, it turns out they gave Death Jr. a 7/10, which isn' t so great, considering that this was going to be the ' killer-app' for the PSP. And it' s not just IGN, EGM gave Death Jr. a total of 45/100. I guess Death isn' t such a good thing..

What really was ironic was the grade of 7.8 for Geist. The grade' s okay, but for a game that was delayed 20 times, and stayed in development for three years, that grade is short of what is anticipated. IGN said the story was great, but the control was sloppy, and the overral feel of the game was unpolished and chopped-up. We' ll wait for other reviews for the Ghost game.

Another semi-anticipated game, Madden NFL 2006 for the Nintendo DS, got a 6/10 from IGN. They said the graphics were only a minor improvement from the first one, and the sound was mediocre, along with presentation, but there is a healthy amount of unlockables and multiplayer value in the game. I guess we' ll wait another year for a decent American football game for DS.

You can go to www.joystiq.com to find an article about Death Jr.' s many reviews.

So, what do you think?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 10:56
I don' t recall Death Jr. ever being labeled or seen as a killer-app or a potentail AAA title. There hasn' t even been that much hype behind it. The initial hype stemmed from it being one of the first announced titles for the PSP. At least at the places I' ve visited, the game seemed to be kind of forgotten and completely overshadowed by stuff like Liberty City Stories and Gran Turismo 4 mobile among others.
Jason Zeidan

RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 11:08
Oh yeah, Gamespot said ' Death Jr. definately has enough potential to be a killer-app for PSP..'

And IGN said ' Death Jr. is considered by many as being a killer-application for the portable..'

Gamespy: ' Death Jr., one of the most hotly anticipated PSP game ever since it was revealed at E3 2004..'

I think I made my point...
Naked Snake

• Total Posts : 228
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 12:28
There are no new elements in ' Death Jr.' It wouldn' t bring any neu idea. It is just one more game of the sort that wouldn' t change a thing.
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 15:32
i think 7.8 for Geist is better than IGN was expecting...

it' s got a lot of stick...
MikeK

• Total Posts : 147
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 16:58
Yeh, a 7.8 is pretty good but I never go by reviews, I always just buy the games that I think look cool to me (of course I read about them though).
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 17:01
i really thought death JR. would get a higher score.im still getting though.i got coded arms when it got a 7 out of 10
Jason Zeidan

RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 17:50
How how do you like Coded Arms for PSP?

Anyway, I thought both grades were disappointing. I was expecting Death Jr. to be this memorable PSP hit, and Geist was in my mind as the first, and best, exclusive FPS for GCN. Oh well, what can you do..

residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 17:56
i love coded arms.its a pretty fun game.yea the story sucks but its fun.i like all the guns you can have and how you can upgrade them.the controls take some time to get used too but once you do it turns to be out a great game
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 20:43
IGN was kind to those games in comparison to the copy of EGM I just got. Geist got 4.0, 605, and 6.0, while death Jr got a 4.0 and I think 4.5 and 5.5. OUch.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 13, 2005 23:36

Oh yeah, Gamespot said ' Death Jr. definately has enough potential to be a killer-app for PSP..'

And IGN said ' Death Jr. is considered by many as being a killer-application for the portable..'

Gamespy: ' Death Jr., one of the most hotly anticipated PSP game ever since it was revealed at E3 2004..'

I think I made my point...

lol, fortunately I missed some of that since GameSpot, Magicbox and Gamefaqs are the only other places I check out. And going by many of the members at the Gamefaqs PSP forum, I just wasn' t seeing much excitement or anticipation for the game. Some were wary about the game' s potential quality and some just didn' t care for it.

Personally, there was never anything about Death Jr. that screamed potential hit to me, much less " killer-app" or AAA. From a distance the game just looked like an uninspired, run-of-the-mill wannabe platformer. And quite frankly, hate me if any of you will but, I don' t trust U.S. developers with Platformers lol

Now had it been developed by Konami of Japan, then I would have definitely been anticipating it.
MikeK

• Total Posts : 147
RE: Death Jr. and Geist not so hot, says IGN. - Aug 18, 2005 18:31
I got Geist on the 16th and I think this game is good i' d give it a 8.5/10. The multiplayer is really fun, it reminds me of Goldeneye and Perfect dark (for some reason) and about the framerate I havn' t really noticed it getting choppy at all. The game is kinda short thogh it' s around 10-12 hours but the battle is just soo fun( I think anyways), it' s funner than Halo2 in some ways, just no vehicles but oh well. The graphics are better than I expected them to be, there actually pretty good, better than those multi platform games like Rougue Agent, Timesplitters, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor and whatever else.

Well thats what I think.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message