Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question...
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 01, 2004 17:31
I am a real fan of the turn-based RPG, but I have friends that swear by the action-RPG.

Then, I played Morrowind...and found that I like certain action-RPG' s.

Which do you like?

While your at it, read the following article...it' s for PC gamers, but it' s kinda cool just the same. Maybe this one will come to PS2 and XBOX owners, too!

Restricted Area opening up to North America

Whiptail set to publish the action RPG in North America; sci-fi PC game sees four characters battling megacorporations.

West Chester, Pennsylvania-based Whiptail Interactive today announced that it will publish Restricted Area for North American audiences. The title has already been released in Germany, where it was nominated for several awards at the 2004 German Developer Awards. Whiptail, publisher of Postal 2 and Gangland, hopes that the game will enjoy similar success here.

The game, developed by German developer Master Creating, is an action-oriented role-playing game set in a cyberpunkish world later this century. Gamers will choose between four different characters, including a Terminator-esque ex-special forces member and an antiestablishment hacker, each with their own fighting styles and strengths, and they will battle megacorporations across lands littered with mutants and pollution.

No date has been set for the North American release of Restricted Area.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 01, 2004 17:42
I think this question has been bought up like 3 or 4 times. Its seems to be a constant debate

I myself prefer action RPG (Fable, Morrowind). I don' t like the chance aspect of turn-based as much and it seems too slowed down for my tastes.Role playing to me seems like somin you can do while keeping it more geared toward real life. If im in a fight I' m not gonna trade off hits with somone. I sort of liked what KoTOR did tho, but still it seemed to much out of my own hands, out of my own control.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 12/1/2004 5:43:58 PM >
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 01, 2004 18:06
I like both, but in the end, I would probably prefer turn-based.

Turn-based allows for a much greater amount of strategy, which is what I want. One of the main reasons the developer chooses turn-based is simply because there are hundreds of possible options, and it would be impossible to be able to access them all in real-time. The menus that you are provided grow in size and scope the longer you play, and the strategy grows with it. It just adds a lot more depth to the gameplay, and causes you to THINK, rather than just rely on reactions.

Action or real-time can be fun too, but they' re generally more mindless. The Baldurs Gates for the consoles, Champions of Norrath, and a few others are just hack ' n slash with RPG elements, but you know what? They' re MAD fun. I love those games!

Then, there are hybrids like Star Ocean. The battles are in real-time, but you can pause to issue new commands and assign new roles. Fable is a strict action/RPG that is more RPG, but victory still boils down to more reaction than thinking. Of course, I plan on playing it, ' cuz I like both kinds.

They both have their strong points; I just think turn-based RPG' s are much, much deeper. Some people don' t like that, and would just as soon sacrifice that depth for the action of real-time, and I understand that. But I ain' t one of ' em.
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 02, 2004 08:21
I prefer Action since playing turn based RPG' s is like reading a borring book.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 02, 2004 14:50
I think I prefer turn-based.
Turn based gives you more time to think about your next move but can get boring if the battle system is lacking.
captain Qball

• Total Posts : 30
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 09, 2004 01:01
fathoms took the words out of my mouth, Turn-based all the way. Although action-RPGs are better for multiplayer.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 09, 2004 01:35
Action RPGs ALL the way for me!!!

Turn-based RPGs and I will more than likely NEVER get along but I gotta give props to those who have no problem playing turn-based RPGs. I' m just way too much of a twitch gamer, I need constant motion, lol.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 09, 2004 13:05
Turn based RPG' s. My sister in-law bought kingdom hearts, and I was admittedly excited to play it. Now it collects dust. Action RPG' s just feel like glorified versions of Golden Axe. Somebody stated that playing turnbased was like reading a boring book. It may be a little like reading a book, but it' s like reading a book where you control the tide of battle, and the choices are yours to make, and more importantly plan.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 09, 2004 16:35

Somebody stated that playing turnbased was like reading a boring book. It may be a little like reading a book, but it' s like reading a book where you control the tide of battle, and the choices are yours to make, and more importantly plan.

The only people that say what you' ve quoted normally have zero experience with turn-based RPG' s anyway, as it' s a ridiculously ignorant thing to say. It doesn' t even make any sense. And as for the rest, I agree with completely.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Action-RPG or Turn-Based RPG...that is the question... - Dec 09, 2004 17:13
I' m only fairly new to the RPG genre(FPS was always my favorite), but I' m becoming a big fan. That said, I pick turn-based RPGs as I like the pace, the seeking, the decision making and changing my mind if I want to kind of games. These are the kind of games I enjoy playing over and over and making different choices just to see what' s going to happen.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll