Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Hard or easy games?
Auron

• Total Posts : 157
Hard or easy games? - Sep 12, 2005 11:46
Do you like to feel challenged when you' re playing a game, or do you like to just sit back and have an easy time, perhaps it all depends on your mood? The question is, which do your prefer: Hard or easy games?

I don' t mind a challenge myself, just as long as it isn' t unfair, but I don' t mind easy games either as long as I' m having a good time, that is. Yes, I' m an odd chap me
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 12, 2005 13:42
I dont know...
Sometimes i can feel like wtf... this time limit was to hard or annoying in this racing game... dammit why cant it be easier?.
And at the same time i can feel when playing ninja gaiden that its only fun when playing on hard,because you cant be hit and have to play like a true ninja.
Depends on what genre i guess.

And also on some rpg' s like FF serie, Fable, baten kaitos, tales of symphonia etc i feelt like wtf...why so damn easy bosses or enemy?
I never get the feeling im indeed facing off a hard boss or enemy and gotta play very good to survive...
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 12 Sep 05 21:46:10 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 12, 2005 15:17
I don' t like games too easy like NInja Gaiden Hurricane Pack 2. Anyone who even gets hit ONCE in that entire game is a super wimp and their mom should be shot in the face for giving birth to such a wimp.

In all seriousness, I don' t like games like Ninja Gaiden which are hard JUST for the sake of being hard, and nothing else. Some moron on some forum somewhere once said Ninja Gaiden forces you to think like a ninja (not you QuezcatoL). oooooooK! You have to think like a gamer, not a ninja. Real ninjas did not lead that kind of life. I hate losers. Now with that being said, I don' t mind a challenge. I want to feel at least a minor accomplishment when finishing a game. But if it' s super easy but also super fun then I will love it just as long as it keeps me coming back. That' s far more important than overall difficulty.

I think super hard games exist only to make people like Itagaki feel elite and it probably also helps compensate for " other areas" in which they are lacking.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12 Sep 05 23:18:06 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 12, 2005 18:11
I have absolutely NO shame in admitting that I like easy games . Actually I like for there to be an option to adjust the difficulty of a game from ' easy as hell' to ' super hair pulling Hard' .

For A LOT of games I tend to choose the easiest setting when first starting out and just run through the game on that setting just to get myself completely used to the play mechanics and develop my " madd skillz" in order to tackle the harder difficulty settings.

If I enjoy the game enough then I' ll replay the harder settings, if not then I won' t bother with it again after completing it the first time on EASY.

A great example would be Star Soldier for the PSP. Since I first played the game while at work I put it on the easiest setting and tried to run through the entire game in one sitting which I did. But I liked the game so much that I played it on " Normal" , " Hard" , " Hardest" , and at the " God" difficulty settings and finished it without a problem.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 13 Sep 05 2:12:29 >
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 12, 2005 22:05
I prefer challenging games, and dislike games that are hard for the sake of being hard.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 09:08
I think most people feel the same way, we like games to be challenging enough to make us sweat but not enough to make us throw our controller in fustration. There are types of challenges that I deteste to the point of avoiding the entire game as a result, for example I avoid platform games as I hate jumping on platforms in order to get to point A to point B, also I can' t stand time limits (I hate time constraints in general, I' m laid back and wish everyone else would slow down). I find it cheap when developers instead of tweaking the A.I. they simply give the enemies more health or better weapons. In short I like the type of challenge that encourages us to use our brains and skills not our patience and time investment.
Terry Bogard

RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 09:47

for example I avoid platform games as I hate jumping on platforms in order to get to point A to point B,

That' s where you and I Totally differ :). I absolutely ADORE platforming game elements where you jump across different floating and moving platforms and at times have to perform some fancy double jumping moves and such like in Klonoa 2 in order to make it out of the level. :).. Aside from 2D shooters, that kind of stuff puts me in my glory which is one of the reasons I LOVE Klonoa 2 so much :).

But that' s for 2D and 2.5D games though, 3D platformers can be quite a pain at times. I enjoyed the platforming levels in Death Jr. but the camera and controls made it quite a chore at times.

As a kid my most annoying challenge in games were MAZES! I absolutely despised mazes. There were times I' d even shut the game off once reaching a maze level that I had to make my way out of... But today my hatred seems to go towards mundane puzzles like the stuff in the Resident Evil games. I like the physical puzzles in platformers but I can' t stand the puzzles in some survivor horror games.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 09:57
I' m with Terry, I love platforming stuff. As for difficulty, I' ll take it ramped up if it' s a game I really am into. If it' s a renter, let it be easy so I can finish it quick. The things I really don' t like about games are probably puzzles that have very little to do with the game. Resident Evil and Silent Hill are both bad offenders of this some times. Oddly I love the Silent Hill games, so it must not bother me that much.
Terry Bogard

RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 10:33

The things I really don' t like about games are probably puzzles that have very little to do with the game. Resident Evil and Silent Hill are both bad offenders of this some times.

Kind of like running for your life from flesh-eating zombies and having to stop and put some pictures in the correct order or solve a jig-saw puzzle of some kind? ;)

In keeping with the platform gaming love, I' m sure Game Junkie you must HATE those platforming levels that continuously scroll automatically, forcing you to hurry up and make it through them without screwing up any of the jumps or you' re dead! Man do I love those! Klonoa 2 gives you like 1 or 2 levels like that and they kick buttocks!
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 12:07
Depends on which game im playing, if its a very story dependent game, im my inclined to choose easy, but if its gameplay dependant i choose medium. I rarely complete games twice. Ninja Gaiden was a bit hard at times i think. If a game is too hard, sometimes quit before im done, which sucks. I only made it through Ninja Gaiden because i could see improvement each time i tried.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 14:34
Speaking of platform games, has anyone ever played Physic Killer Taromaru for the Saturn? Well I' m about to in about 20 minutes or so. I hope it' s good and not hard just for the sake of being hard.

Also, like Terry I also hate mazes, but Phantasy Star 1 didn' t bother me too much and Maze Hunter 3D was kind of cool (great 3D effect).
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 13 Sep 05 22:35:32 >
OmegaRed

• Total Posts : 17
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 13, 2005 23:52
Easy games it good(casyals),hard games(hardcore)

DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 14, 2005 12:48
I like a balanced-mix of both chalenging, as well as laid-back, game types.

Playing too much on a game that challenges your every fiber can make one crazy.

So, it can be nice to get away from the hectic gameplay and enjoy something like playing golf or ' free' modes on driving games - just something to release the frustration built up from those intense games.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 15, 2005 00:51
I' m not down with the uber hardness. I gave up on splinter cell because of it, and many other games as well. Of course I come back a few days later and beat that part, but if I get stuck again I usually give up. Unless the story is just that good, or the reward is that good, but usually it isn' t.

Of course I don' t really enjoy extremely ez games either. What I like the best is how a game like Shenmue does it. If you fail so many times it makes it a bit easier, then if you still fail even easier, till eventually till the point where everyone can beat it.
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 20, 2005 14:30
sometimes i want difficulty and sometimes i just want to chill and enjoy a game. I agree that i dislike games they make super-difficult just to make them difficult....annoying.
Jartsu

• Total Posts : 16
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 22, 2005 07:32
The mark of a true game is having both playability. so you can just pick it up and learn how to play within the hour and have a great time AND durability something to get deaper and become really good and spend 19 hours a day suspended in intence gameplaying bliss without blinking or swallowing. This is why I enjoy my nintendo, you think you have the game figured out and then you realize your on auto mode or something and you take it off and all the sudden those heads arent coming off as easily....or your yoshi cant even get on the green anymore...or lets think of another really good example....oh any game with ridiculously maticulous side quest that you have to beat in to make sure the frog eats the blueberry pie so he can in turn have blue shit that you have to take to the shit store where they will make you a specail frog/blue shit smoothie that you have to drink on the full moon while singing the chorus from Rent the musical....so ya....that was a tangent but anyway games that start easy and become more indepth if you what them to....thats a what I like....
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 22, 2005 19:47
i like hard games.i love to play a challenging game.its fun for me
Ak1ra

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 23, 2005 08:31
I never play a game in the easy mode, sometimes it just makes the game look different
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Hard or easy games? - Sep 28, 2005 11:33
I actually love ninja gaiden for what it is and wouldn' t consider it hard on NORMAL setting (I don' t know if NG BLACK is harder on normal or not) - yeah you die from time to time but you always know what you did wrong (GOD I' m playing HARD on NG BLACK and the 3rd boss won' t let me win :) ) and the gameplay is awesome and makes me wanna come back.

I hate games that are hard in an unfair or " buggy" way (like fucked up camera work and stuff) like some of you stated but if games like Splinter Cell were easy how would they make you sneak and stuff?
It' s easy when you' re careful but slaps you when you' re not.

It' s great to make a hard game that makes you wanna beat it but it' s very rare

for me that' s Ninja Gaiden Black on HARD or Outrun 2 on Very Hard (there really is LESS time)

Isn' t it nice when you have to tfight a lot in RPG' s because you want to crush the boss and you know he' ll be a bad ass MOFO? How do you feel when he' s just a silly hopeless bitch?

Creating a fair challenge I THINK is in interest of all gamers but it' s really so rare.

Peaople said Ocarina of Time was HARD and Hardcore - not if you paid attention to what' s been sait to you

I agree with you people who think that more " HP" for enemies is not HARD - The best Difficulty settings were the ones in Perfect Dark - A huuuge increase in AI other each mode plus some added cool objectives that made it worth it.

I think that HAlO' s have it done really cool (never really wanted more than normal experience from those games) and for gamers who care it' s a great bonus
< Message edited by ]GaNgStA[ -- 28 Sep 05 19:37:18 >
Snowman99

• Total Posts : 77
RE: Hard or easy games? - Oct 17, 2005 16:50
I would rather play hard games because when you beat a game on easy mode to many times you dont get better at the game you also dont get what you paid for

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll