Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 plasma or lcd
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 31
tbonejg24

• Total Posts : 5
plasma or lcd - Jul 30, 2005 17:01
what one is better to you? price? pitcure?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: plasma or lcd - Jul 30, 2005 18:54
I would go with LCD, they last longer, and don' t flicker. Plasma would most likely have higher contrast ratio and brightness, but after a few years may fade a bit.

The thing to look at when buying an LCD would be the response time. Since HDTV signals are only 60 fps 16 ms response time or fater should be good enough. I think the fastest response time right now is 4 ms.

Another thing to look at is resolution. 1280x720 is probably what you would want. That would be a widescreen 720P HDTV.
MikeK

• Total Posts : 147
RE: plasma or lcd - Jul 30, 2005 20:55
Also if you want to play games you better get an LCD because in a plasma the picture could be burned into the screen kinda like a permanent screen saver thats what you want. So LCD is the better choice for games or anyother media.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: plasma or lcd - Jul 30, 2005 21:02
Plasmas only last about 3 years from what I' ve heard so knowing that I definately choose LCD.
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: plasma or lcd - Jul 31, 2005 02:37
Neither, go for DLP. They are releasing the new 1080p sets with a native resolution of 1920x1080p with over 2 million pixels of crystal clear film like images. For a fraction of the cost of both plus DLP never burns in so it' s perfect for games and is also has spilt screen PIP with PC input so you can have half the screen be PC and half be tv or video games. You can get a 50" for like $3500 all the way upto 71" for $6500 which is MUCH cheaper then LCD and plamsa (which is really bad for games way too much burn in images).

http://www.tvauthority.com//DLP-TV-HDTV/DLP-TV-HDTV.asp for info
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: plasma or lcd - Jul 31, 2005 05:05
Plasma' s are garbage. Go LCD if you can afford it.
Naked Snake

• Total Posts : 228
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 01, 2005 18:59
I' ll choose LCD, too.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 02, 2005 09:32
Looks like I' m going to take the oposite approach here. Plasma over LCD, but none of that cheapo plasma, cause everybody here is right, they go pretty quick. See the problem with LCD is that it' s using light to make black, and then the contrast just looks like shit, I can' t stand blotchy blacks. Go for the high end (and I' m assuming you can afford it since you started this thread anyway) plasma, and you won' t have trouble for a long time. Reviews on some of the Pioneer ones were very good, as were the reviews on the Sony and Hitachi.
daytonadav

• Total Posts : 14
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 03, 2005 18:46
the LCD would last a lot longer than a plasma because the plasma heats up too fast trust me.
Chee Saw

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 03, 2005 19:58
This is an interesting article which touts the positive characteristics of plasma displays versus LCDs.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.aspx

Keep in mind, though, that they talk about plasma screen burn-in only briefly, and for AVERAGE consumers. If you play video games a lot (which, most likely you do considering you' re on this thread!) then it plays a MAJOR issue. Imagine playing a racing game all day, then popping in Halo and still having a steering wheel on the screen!

That' s why I love my CRT! Sony Wega 34" . Perfect for video games, movies, whatever! Luckily my house has a nook where I can stick the damn thing. Because it is a BEAST!!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 03, 2005 22:16
Is your Sony the 34XBR960 or something like that? That' s what I have.
Chee Saw

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 03, 2005 22:50

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

Is your Sony the 34XBR960 or something like that? That' s what I have.

I know this is really pathetic, Joe, but go easy on me! I couldn' t wait!! Dammit! I just couldn' t! You see, there was the XBR, and there was the non-XBR. The XBR was $300 more. I could' ve had the money the NEXT WEEK! I could' ve...

Dammit!! Dammit to HELL!

It' s ok, though. I love it anyway!
daytonadav

• Total Posts : 14
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 04, 2005 17:58
LCD is awsome...
locopuyo

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 07, 2005 14:21
I just helped this guy set up a 64" DLP tv 2 days ago. Along with a 700 watt surround sound system and some crazy remote with a color LCD screen that can control everything including your curtains. He won it all in some drawing.

Anyways DLP is pretty good, but the viewing angles aren' t that great. The high end LCDs have much better viewing angles.

Of cousre the best choice woudl be CRT if you have room for it. But most people dont' have space for a CRT. I would go with an LCD, they are usually the thinnest and lightest and have a better picture. The newest ones have a 4 ms response time, that is like a 200 frames per second or something, it blows everything else away.
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 07, 2005 15:48
was it a new 1080p set? They are supposed to have good viewing angles and the best picture and clearity and quality for much cheaper then LCD and Plasma. with over 2 million pixels of digitally precise light and Samsung' s proprietary technologies.
locopuyo

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 07, 2005 16:03
I dont' remember what the model was and stuff. I don' t think it was a samsung though. I don' t think it had 1080p either, but I didn' t really check. The guy was really only going to use it for satelite TV and DVD' s. So he isn' t really using his TV to its potential. All he had was the cables that came with it too. So it is using really cheap cables, but it is hooked up with component. It did have very good contrast and brightness. But the viewing angles could have been a lot better. It was not nearly as bad as the regular projection tv' s though. Picture quality was good, and I know 640i is not its native resolution. But DVDs and TV look a lot better on my 22 inch viewsonic CRT than they did on that. But what is kind of funny as that 64 inch DLP tv barely weighed more than my 22 inch CRT and didn' t stick back as far.
TXSPheonix

• Total Posts : 38
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 07, 2005 16:34
If you play games with a HUD, go LCD, there is no burn-in, but there is a possibility for un-noticable dead pixels.

Plasma will cause SEVERE (I warn you, I played Halo 2 on mine) burn in.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 07, 2005 16:58
Dead pixels are always noticeable. And deadly. They cause cancer.

I think I' ll wait for a 3 chip DLP. I don' t like the spinning color-wheel thingy they' ve got going for the home versions now.
TXSPheonix

• Total Posts : 38
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 07, 2005 17:14
My bad, I didn' t mean to respond, can I delete this manually?
< Message edited by TXSPheonix -- 8 Aug 05 1:15:34 >
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 09, 2005 07:32
I know what you mean about the spinning color wheel Joe. My pops got one, and I' m in that percentage of people that can see red and green flashes whenever I move my head side to side watching the big screen. It' s not horrible, but it is annoying.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 31

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message