Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 plasma or lcd
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 31 of 31
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 09, 2005 15:23
I' m sure the majority of people could see them if they saw it side by side an LCD.

It seems like everyone runs their refresh rate at 60 hz. Then I' m like, wow that is flickery, want me to fix that for u? I change it to 85 hz and they are like, whats the difference? Then I change it back and they are like wow, that is flickery.

And by the way burning in the Halo 2 hud on ur plasma is badass, I solute you.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 09, 2005 15:52
You can only change the refresh rate on computer monitors.
TXSPheonix

• Total Posts : 38
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 09, 2005 16:16

And by the way burning in the Halo 2 hud on ur plasma is badass, I solute you

HA

Thnx
locopuyo

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 10, 2005 16:58
I know u can only change it on computers, I' m just using it as an example that if someone saw an LCD with no flicker next to a flicker rainbow wheel DLP they would be able to tell it is flickery.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 10, 2005 17:42

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

So he isn' t really using his TV to its potential. All he had was the cables that came with it too. So it is using really cheap cables, but it is hooked up with component.

Joe, what' s your take on this? You' re in the Audio/Video field, right? Does it really make THAT big a difference if you use some cables over others? I mean, I know if you' re setting up something over a long distance a cable degrading the signal that passes through it can be a big deal, but what about just hooking up your dvd player to your tv?

The reason I ask is because I' m boycotting Monster Cable. They' re suing everyone with the word " monster" in a product. This includes Disney for " Monsters, Inc." , Discovery channel for " Monster Garage" , and the Chicago Bears, because people call them the " Monsters of the Midway" !

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/11/08/BUG1J9N3C61.DTL&type=business

I could not make this stuff up, folks!!

Oh, and if it DOES make a difference, are there any alternatives to Monster Cable?
Joe Redifer

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 10, 2005 22:42
Well, I wouldn' t use really thin crappy/cheap-o cables. But as a rule I avoid Monster as well. They are horrendously overpriced for what you get. There are some people who will swear up and down that hooking something up with Monster Cable is a night/day difference. It is important that you understand that these people have no ability for rational thought and are of no use to humanity and should be disposed of.

There are Monster alternatives: everything else! Just use cables that feel sturdy, aren' t too thin. But there is no need to pay outrageous prices for cable. For game systems, the Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo brand component cables are more than adequate.
locopuyo

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 11, 2005 17:10
I play xbox using all of my computer equipment, 22 inch monitor, 5.2 530 watt surround sound, using the viewsonic n6 to connect the xbox to my monitor in high def and a sound blaster audigy 2 platinum to connect the dobly digital sound.
So I have a ton of cables all over and with these slightly better than what comes with the xbox component video cables i was getting extreme interference. Sometimes it couldn' t even tell there was a progressive signal it was so bad.
Then I went to radio shack and bought some monster cables, not the most expensive, but good ones, and I get zero noticable interference, it looks a hell of a lot better. I also don' t really link monster and hate how everybody thinks that is the only good cable, but that was all radio shack had that was good. And I don' t really have any other options around where I live, except online, and I was in a hurry.

But if you see little white specs on the screen apear you aren' t getting a clear signal, I used to see just a few white specs sometimes, but with the new cables I don' t see any, it is much better. So cables can make a huge difference.
Joe Redifer

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 11, 2005 22:53
With Monster Cable I see white specks. Interestingly, with the " free" cables that most manufacturers include with their DVD players, etc I see no specks.
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 12, 2005 11:33
What the hell is the difference between a plasma and a Liquid Crystal Display?
Joe Redifer

RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 12, 2005 16:02
Well, basically the technology. Plasma uses plasma and LCD uses a liquid crystal display.
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: plasma or lcd - Aug 12, 2005 18:26

So anyway, what' s the difference between a plasma and an LCD?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 31 of 31

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message