Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony get rumble. AGAIN!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 06:39
For reals!!!

SAN JOSE, Calif. and FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Immersion Corporation, (Nasdaq: IMMR - News), a leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced the companies have agreed to conclude their patent litigation at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and have entered into a new business agreement to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation® format products.

" We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Immersion CEO Victor Viegas. " Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community. We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

Immersion will receive the amount of the judgment entered by the District Court, which includes damages, pre-judgment interest, costs, and interest, in addition to retaining compulsory license fees ordered by the District Court which were already paid. Terms of the business agreement between the parties provide SCE with certain new rights with respect to Immersion' s patent portfolio. Additional financial terms are not being disclosed. The conclusion of this litigation and the agreement will have no material impact on Sony' s consolidated earnings forecast announced on January 30, 2007.

" We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group Chief Operating Officer, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. " We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

LINK

DualShock 3 is simply a matter of time now.
Shikashi

• Total Posts : 196
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 07:11
Is this " Sony' s come back" week or something?

Good news, most definetely. Go , go SIXAXIS-Shock
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 08:46
So does this mean its actually going to happen this time?
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 09:22
but didn' t Phil Harrison say rumble was so ' last gen' ??
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 11:40
Yes and they also said different SKU' s were stupid as well. Sony has no qualms with going back on their words.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 13:20
Sony sucks, this won' t happen, it' s all a lie.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 18:01
Sony seem to be getting their house in order at last.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 18:59
IMO rumble isnt the best feature out there.If its there thats cool,if it isnt then no problem.How did i form this opinion? i never missed rumble when playing PC games with keyboard and mouse.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:01
SIXAXIS + Rumble = Wimote pwaned
OneWingedAngel

• Total Posts : 142
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:14

SIXAXIS + Rumble = Wimote pwaned

Nah...I have serious doupts about this.
< Message edited by OneWingedAngel -- 2 Mar 07 12:17:40 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:24
Finally... can' t wait a rumble controller is firs ton my list (im sure this was sony' s plan all along, to make us spend more money on extra controllers.

Things are looking up for sony, i' m hearing good things about the announcement that phil will be making at gdc good timing for the EU launch that they start sorting themselves out
Nitro

RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:46

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

SIXAXIS + Rumble + EyeToy = Wimote pwaned

Fixed.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 23:23
Grayfox i miss rumble in PC games. I actually bought the Logitech Ifeel mouseman Optical mouse because if provided FF. Unfortunately i found out that it only worked for one game - Medal of Honor AA. Playing CoD 3 on the Wii reminds me how good FPS ' feels' with FF.

Even if it does get FF it still can' t do things the Wii can do. You can' t swing it like a sword, bat etc. It still must be held in both hands. Wiimote pwned? Hardly. Plus if someone wanted a Wiimote why would they spend US$600+ when they can get it for US$250.

Secondly were does this leave those that already bought the console? They aren' t gonna be too happy when they are required to buy more peripherals to get the same experience as users that by the newer version (should they include rumble). The early adopters aren' t gonna be too impressed.

Finally if they did implement this how much extra would it add to the already high asking price (US$600+??)??
< Message edited by Terrak -- 2 Mar 07 15:25:06 >
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 01:44
Its Official

Rumble fans, start the celebration. After Sony and Immersion settled their long-running legal battle over rumble technology, a new agreement between both companies indicates that the feature will be making a comeback soon. According to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has entered into a new agreement that will see Immersion' s rumble technology included in future PlayStation products.

" Our new business agreement with Sony is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation community," Victor Viegas, CEO of Immersion, commented. " We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

" We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kaz Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment. " We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

Details are still scarce about the agreement. For now, rumble fans will have to make do with third-party controllers that offer the feature.

Offical like a Referee Whistle
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 04:12
SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

I didn' t think I' d ever say this again, but GO SONY!!!

Playing CoD 3 on the Wii reminds me how good FPS ' feels' with FF.
It reminds me that if I kill myself now, that' s what hell will look like.

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 04:33
Bah, sony should think before talking, whats this shit about rumble not being needed this gen. Idiots!

Phil Harrison your
fired!

< Message edited by vx chemical -- 2 Mar 07 20:35:08 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 07:09
suppose this Is good news.

But then we will all have to buy another controller just for rumble, and The battery will die faster. But hell, I wont say no to it!
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 07:32

Yep. Finally Immersion Corporation and SCE came to an agreement, this is great news. Expect the Sixaxis in the near future with both motion censor " next gen" and rumble" not next gen" (according to Mr. Phil)
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 08:03

quote:

Yep. Finally Immersion Corporation and SCE came to an agreement, this is great news. Expect the Sixaxis in the near future with both motion censor " next gen" and rumble" not next gen" (according to Mr. Phil)

You guys have to start thinking like marketing execs. Rumble wasn' t next gen before. I have prepared a brief statement from the future -

" Sony has worked with Immersion, a leader in feedback technology, in order to offer a truly next gen controller. Combining motion sensing capabilities, and new force feedback technology in one unique controller." Finish it all off with a cheesy line like " Control next gen now" or " Feel the next generation" and you' ve got yourself a new market stance with a great backup story.

So you see, with a bit of spin, and clever marketing, they can easily fool the general public. As Nick Nailor said " That' s the beauty of argument, because if you argue correctly, you' re never wrong" .

edit :quotes
< Message edited by avarice -- 3 Mar 07 0:05:07 >
Nitro

RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 08:07
I wouldn' t just expect rumble like Dual Shock/2, i' d expect more advanced rumble than what' s used in 360 and Wii' s controllers.

I' d also expect true force feedback in official steering wheels.

I' m guessing it' ll be touched upon at GDC next week, which means that if Playstation HOME and EDGE are mentioned too Sony have a kickass keynote to look forward to.

" We know we said rumble was last-gen, and we still think it is, but developers like Kojima-san have asked for it and who are we to say no to him eh?"

" Microsoft' s Achievements were a work of genius, we' re not only matching it but we' re giving you somewhere virtual [like a customizable room] to store and view them, ...and you can even visit your friends virtual rooms too! Probably"

" We' re a little late but we' ve just started supplying 3rd party developers with a kickass toolset and development environment. It' s kinda like XNA except for PS3. It' s pretty good and will allow developer to harness more power from the machine!"

I think we' ll see Warhawk and more of other upcoming PSN stuff too.

I' m HOPING we get to see more of The Getaway and the next Ratchet & Clank game. I kinda doubt there will be much Japanese stuff though...
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 49

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message