Sony get rumble. AGAIN!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 49
Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 06:39
For reals!!!

SAN JOSE, Calif. and FOSTER CITY, Calif., March 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Immersion Corporation, (Nasdaq: IMMR - News), a leading developer and licensor of touch feedback technology, and Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced the companies have agreed to conclude their patent litigation at the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and have entered into a new business agreement to explore the inclusion of Immersion technology in PlayStation® format products.

" We are pleased to have put this litigation behind us," said Immersion CEO Victor Viegas. " Our new business agreement with Sony Computer Entertainment is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation gaming community. We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

Immersion will receive the amount of the judgment entered by the District Court, which includes damages, pre-judgment interest, costs, and interest, in addition to retaining compulsory license fees ordered by the District Court which were already paid. Terms of the business agreement between the parties provide SCE with certain new rights with respect to Immersion' s patent portfolio. Additional financial terms are not being disclosed. The conclusion of this litigation and the agreement will have no material impact on Sony' s consolidated earnings forecast announced on January 30, 2007.

" We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kazuo Hirai, President and Group Chief Operating Officer, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. " We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

LINK

DualShock 3 is simply a matter of time now.

Shikashi
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 07:11
Is this " Sony' s come back" week or something?

Good news, most definetely. Go , go SIXAXIS-Shock

mastachefbkw
  • Total Posts : 3793
  • Reward points : 13680
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 08:46
So does this mean its actually going to happen this time?

Terrak
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Reward points : 19070
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 09:22
but didn' t Phil Harrison say rumble was so ' last gen' ??

UnluckyOne
  • Total Posts : 995
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 11:40
Yes and they also said different SKU' s were stupid as well. Sony has no qualms with going back on their words.

Dagashi
  • Total Posts : 987
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 13:20
Sony sucks, this won' t happen, it' s all a lie.

alijay034
  • Total Posts : 1433
  • Reward points : 1685
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 18:01
Sony seem to be getting their house in order at last.

GrayFox
  • Total Posts : 356
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 18:59
IMO rumble isnt the best feature out there.If its there thats cool,if it isnt then no problem.How did i form this opinion? i never missed rumble when playing PC games with keyboard and mouse.

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:01
SIXAXIS + Rumble = Wimote pwaned
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

OneWingedAngel
  • Total Posts : 142
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:14

SIXAXIS + Rumble = Wimote pwaned

Nah...I have serious doupts about this.
< Message edited by OneWingedAngel -- 2 Mar 07 12:17:40 >
" One who knows nothing can understand nothing"

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:24
Finally... can' t wait a rumble controller is firs ton my list (im sure this was sony' s plan all along, to make us spend more money on extra controllers.

Things are looking up for sony, i' m hearing good things about the announcement that phil will be making at gdc good timing for the EU launch that they start sorting themselves out
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Nitro
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 20:46

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

SIXAXIS + Rumble + EyeToy = Wimote pwaned

Fixed.

Terrak
  • Total Posts : 783
  • Reward points : 19070
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 02, 2007 23:23
Grayfox i miss rumble in PC games. I actually bought the Logitech Ifeel mouseman Optical mouse because if provided FF. Unfortunately i found out that it only worked for one game - Medal of Honor AA. Playing CoD 3 on the Wii reminds me how good FPS ' feels' with FF.

Even if it does get FF it still can' t do things the Wii can do. You can' t swing it like a sword, bat etc. It still must be held in both hands. Wiimote pwned? Hardly. Plus if someone wanted a Wiimote why would they spend US$600+ when they can get it for US$250.

Secondly were does this leave those that already bought the console? They aren' t gonna be too happy when they are required to buy more peripherals to get the same experience as users that by the newer version (should they include rumble). The early adopters aren' t gonna be too impressed.

Finally if they did implement this how much extra would it add to the already high asking price (US$600+??)??
< Message edited by Terrak -- 2 Mar 07 15:25:06 >

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 01:44
Its Official

Rumble fans, start the celebration. After Sony and Immersion settled their long-running legal battle over rumble technology, a new agreement between both companies indicates that the feature will be making a comeback soon. According to GamesIndustry.biz, Sony has entered into a new agreement that will see Immersion' s rumble technology included in future PlayStation products.

" Our new business agreement with Sony is specifically intended to enable advanced vibration capability for the benefit of the PlayStation community," Victor Viegas, CEO of Immersion, commented. " We are happy to provide our technology in this regard and hope to make technical proposals very soon with respect to use of our technology in the PlayStation products."

" We look forward to exploring with Immersion exciting new ways to bring the largest and best range of gameplay experiences to our customers," said Kaz Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment. " We are very excited about our new partnership with Immersion and the potential for new and innovative products incorporating their technologies."

Details are still scarce about the agreement. For now, rumble fans will have to make do with third-party controllers that offer the feature.

Offical like a Referee Whistle

Eddie_the_Hated
  • Total Posts : 8015
  • Reward points : 15335
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 04:12
SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!

I didn' t think I' d ever say this again, but GO SONY!!!

Playing CoD 3 on the Wii reminds me how good FPS ' feels' with FF.
It reminds me that if I kill myself now, that' s what hell will look like.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 04:33
Bah, sony should think before talking, whats this shit about rumble not being needed this gen. Idiots!

Phil Harrison your
fired!

< Message edited by vx chemical -- 2 Mar 07 20:35:08 >

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 07:09
suppose this Is good news.

But then we will all have to buy another controller just for rumble, and The battery will die faster. But hell, I wont say no to it!
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

the_shadowwolf
  • Total Posts : 675
  • Reward points : 17635
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 07:32

Yep. Finally Immersion Corporation and SCE came to an agreement, this is great news. Expect the Sixaxis in the near future with both motion censor " next gen" and rumble" not next gen" (according to Mr. Phil)
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Dagashi
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 08:03

quote:

Yep. Finally Immersion Corporation and SCE came to an agreement, this is great news. Expect the Sixaxis in the near future with both motion censor " next gen" and rumble" not next gen" (according to Mr. Phil)

You guys have to start thinking like marketing execs. Rumble wasn' t next gen before. I have prepared a brief statement from the future -

" Sony has worked with Immersion, a leader in feedback technology, in order to offer a truly next gen controller. Combining motion sensing capabilities, and new force feedback technology in one unique controller." Finish it all off with a cheesy line like " Control next gen now" or " Feel the next generation" and you' ve got yourself a new market stance with a great backup story.

So you see, with a bit of spin, and clever marketing, they can easily fool the general public. As Nick Nailor said " That' s the beauty of argument, because if you argue correctly, you' re never wrong" .

edit :quotes
< Message edited by avarice -- 3 Mar 07 0:05:07 >

Nitro
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 03, 2007 08:07
I wouldn' t just expect rumble like Dual Shock/2, i' d expect more advanced rumble than what' s used in 360 and Wii' s controllers.

I' d also expect true force feedback in official steering wheels.

I' m guessing it' ll be touched upon at GDC next week, which means that if Playstation HOME and EDGE are mentioned too Sony have a kickass keynote to look forward to.

" We know we said rumble was last-gen, and we still think it is, but developers like Kojima-san have asked for it and who are we to say no to him eh?"

" Microsoft' s Achievements were a work of genius, we' re not only matching it but we' re giving you somewhere virtual [like a customizable room] to store and view them, ...and you can even visit your friends virtual rooms too! Probably"

" We' re a little late but we' ve just started supplying 3rd party developers with a kickass toolset and development environment. It' s kinda like XNA except for PS3. It' s pretty good and will allow developer to harness more power from the machine!"

I think we' ll see Warhawk and more of other upcoming PSN stuff too.

I' m HOPING we get to see more of The Getaway and the next Ratchet & Clank game. I kinda doubt there will be much Japanese stuff though...

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 03:59

But then we will all have to buy another controller just for rumble, and The battery will die faster. But hell, I wont say no to it!
Bet you game stores are gonna have a " trade in Sixaxis, get SIXShock $40 off" or something like that.

As Nick Nailor said " That' s the beauty of argument, because if you argue correctly, you' re never wrong" .
Brilliant movie BTW.

i' d expect more advanced rumble than what' s used in 360 and Wii' s controllers.
They' d have to pass up Wii' s rumble. It wasn' t rumble, so much as a small mechanical burp. I think I get a worse buzz from the internal speaker.

Dagashi
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 04:48

They' d have to pass up Wii' s rumble. It wasn' t rumble, so much as a small mechanical burp. I think I get a worse buzz from the internal speaker.

lol, thats exactly what I thought. It has struck me as sort of funny, that all it took was a bit of a buzz from the wii-mote to ensure it wasn' t criticized like the sixaxis for a lack of rumble. " Force-Feedback" doesnt really suit it. " Feather Feedback" seems more suitable, and then they could still label it as a FF controller.

mastachefbkw
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 05:22

" Microsoft' s Achievements were a work of genius, we' re not only matching it but we' re giving you somewhere virtual [like a customizable room] to store and view them, ...and you can even visit your friends virtual rooms too! Probably"

Doesnt MS already let you see your friends achievment points? ... and what does probably mean? Does that mean if they feel like it or something?

Dagashi
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 05:30

Doesnt MS already let you see your friends achievment points? ... and what does probably mean? Does that mean if they feel like it or something?

These aren' t actual quotes as far as I know. He is doing what I did and making hypothetical quotes that we feel could be close to what will be announced, or what should be announced.

The biggest giveaway to me is in the quote " Microsoft' s Achievements were a work of genius" . I can' t see Sony saying that, or even microsoft for that matter..

Eddie_the_Hated
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 06:17

lol, thats exactly what I thought. It has struck me as sort of funny, that all it took was a bit of a buzz from the wii-mote to ensure it wasn' t criticized like the sixaxis for a lack of rumble. " Force-Feedback" doesnt really suit it. " Feather Feedback" seems more suitable, and then they could still label it as a FF controller.

It' s the thought that counts. As long as fans can safely say they' ve got a feature, no matter how awful, they think they' ve got an advantage. Although, personally, I' d rather they waited on rumble for a half-a-year like Sony, & then release something great. (crosses fingers)

Emotep
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 06:25
Rumble in the Sixaxis controllers = bad.

Rumble sucks alot of power... and since you can' t replace the Sixaxis battery, this would lead to faster depletion of the battery and as a result, faster diminishing of the battery' s ability to hold a charge.

If they do include rumble in Sixaxis, they also need to redesign it with a replacable battery so you just have to buy a new battery once the battery can' t hold a charge anymore, rather than a new controller.
Honour those that crash their planes to kill the enemy. Join the Battlefield 1942 Divine Wind squadron and kill more Americans today!

mastachefbkw
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 06:42

Rumble sucks alot of power... and since you can' t replace the Sixaxis battery, this would lead to faster depletion of the battery and as a result, faster diminishing of the battery' s ability to hold a charge.

If they do include rumble in Sixaxis, they also need to redesign it with a replacable battery so you just have to buy a new battery once the battery can' t hold a charge anymore, rather than a new controller.

great idea... if their controllers die, than they have to get another meaning... more money for sony mwahahahaha

Nitro
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 07:19
I' d rather they went back to the original PS3 controller concept. I really liked it.

mastachefbkw
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 07:36

I' d rather they went back to the original PS3 controller concept. I really liked it.

are you talking about the boomerang controller?

Nitro
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 07:48

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw

Yep.

I think it would have been cool. It was smaller than much of the promo material made it look...

mastachefbkw
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 08:04
it looks kinda like it would cripple your hands

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 23:40

Yeah I could See that happing lol

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 04, 2007 23:59
That old ps3 controller was way too small, look at the size of the analog sticks, that would never work.

At least they tried something new, but everybody hated it. I would like it If they did more for the ps3 pad apart from the motion senseing.. [and now rumble]
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 4 Mar 07 15:59:17 >
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

immortaldanmx
  • Total Posts : 2966
  • Reward points : 9215
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 01:53

Yes, Rumble+Sixaxis=bad. But not for the reason you think. Rumble would cause hella(Im bringing this word back ) interference with sixaxis. Im not quite sure where I read that, or if it was Sony or a Dev who said it, but it was said and makes logical sense.
I dont want to celebrate, I want to sell you hate.

Zoy
  • Total Posts : 1703
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 04:49

Actually that controller design makes me believe that they had motion sensitivity in mind from the outset. Obviously it would be a lot easier to use that as a steering wheel or flight yoke than the Sixaxis or the rectangular Wii wonder wand. It also looks a lot more ergonomically comfortable than the outdated Sixaxis design.

Agent Ghost
  • Total Posts : 5486
  • Reward points : 12425
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 05:03
" Actually that controller design makes me believe that they had motion sensitivity in mind from the outset. Obviously it would be a lot easier to use that as a steering wheel or flight yoke than the Sixaxis or the rectangular Wii wonder wand. It also looks a lot more ergonomically comfortable than the outdated Sixaxis design."

I don' t think it looks more ergonomic at all. Maybe it' s more comfortable to hold but reaching the shoulder buttons along with circle amd triangle looks difficult.

Dagashi
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 06:02

I don' t think it looks more ergonomic at all. Maybe it' s more comfortable to hold but reaching the shoulder buttons along with circle amd triangle looks difficult.

Thats what I thought. I could see some advantages to it, but I think on a whole, it would be a worse design.

mastachefbkw
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 06:30

Yeah I could See that happing lol

in the year 2030, the leading cause of authoritus is the ps3 controller from 2007

Dagashi
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 06:35

in the year 2030, the leading cause of authoritus is the ps3 controller from 2007

So far, the Wii-mote wears out my hands the most of any controller to date. It' s so small that you have to wrap your fingers around it completely. I imagine it might be easier if you had small hands, but I don' t, and my fingers cramp up

mastachefbkw
RE: Sony get rumble. AGAIN! - Mar 05, 2007 06:40

So far, the Wii-mote wears out my hands the most of any controller to date. It' s so small that you have to wrap your fingers around it completely. I imagine it might be easier if you had small hands, but I don' t, and my fingers cramp up

The ps2 made me feel like i had carpel tunnel

EDIT: messed up on quotations and i feel like a nub
< Message edited by mastachefbkw -- 4 Mar 07 22:41:34 >

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 49