Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 52
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 09, 2004 18:14
First off...I will not spoil this for anyone who has yet to purchase or play their Halo 2 copy...but I will give the general idea of the game.

I got to the store about 10:00 p.m., and there was only one other vehicle there waiting for the one-minute-past-midnight opening...and those 2 guys left to get something to eat!

I then became first in line! HAHAHA!!!

At 11:00 p.m., there were maybe 10 people waiting in line.

11:30 had 25 - 30 people waiting, and at 11:59 I saw 50+ people waiting outside for their copy(-ies). People from all walks of life had come together to share in this one event...for a moment, the world seemed to be in total unity.

Such an awesome sight.

I was the first one in, and I was what they called a VIP (already paid in full, basically).

The guy at the VIP counter opens with this line: " I now dub thee the first lucky ***!"

To which I replied: " Lucky I am...and will be more so, once I get home!"

The gentleman handed me my game and receipt. I headed for the door...

And head straight for home, I did!

At just after 12:15 a.m., I started up my XBOX - with Halo 2 inserted - and started to view the opening screens. All the usual here...

Then came the actual story-line video...this defintely tells what the Covenant are like...reminiscent of many sci-fi movies, and totally awesome just the same!

Playing as the Masterchief in the first Halo, I felt pretty much at home with the controls. However, there' s the dual-wielding, slight weapons variations, no more health bar, and tougher enemies (AI & number of shots to kill) that play into the gameplay.

The story-line is more involved, yet totally welcome. That' s because the videos usually come between major battles, so a rest is quite welcome.

The graphics are awesome!!! More detail for everything is a definite plus!

The music is similar to the original with few changes and definitely nothing that is noticeable or interferes with gameplay (as posted by some websites).

Dual-wielding is easy to accomplish, but does limit you to not having the ability to throw grenades. Also, I had knocked off most enemies quite easily with dual-wielding, but found myself either re-loading or waiting for the weapons to cool off right in the middle of a major skirmish...that is defintely not good!

However, that issue is with MY gameplay, not the game itself!

Once I learned to control myself a bit better, I had no problems switching from single to dual-wielding and making sure one weapon is ready at all times.

I have encountered a few new enemies and enemy craft, but I will not spoil it for those who have yet to play this game. Just know that they are there...

I finally stopped playing at about 2:30 a.m. I had to get up at 5:00 a.m. to get to work. I originally was going to call in. But, due to recently calling out to care for sick family members, I decided to save some of my paid leave for the upcoming holidays.

I enjoyed every minute of gameplay for those 2 and 3/4 hours!

Tired, yet completely satisfied...that' s what videogaming is all about.

All in all, I give Halo 2, upon my initial impressions, a solid 8.5*!!!

That would be...

Graphics: 9.0 - minor issues with the cutscene graphics only.
Sound: 8.5 - nothing really new here...
Gameplay: 8.5 - original Halo, but with additional levels.
Replay Value: 8.5 - a few times through and you' ll put this title aside for something newer and better. Only the online portion would entice one to continue playing this title beyond the single-player mode.

*UPDATE: Since the announcement that Halo 2 was rushed and incomplete (per Bungie), combined with the lack of much of the hyped content and somewhat abrupt ending, I have downgraded Halo 2 to a [questionable] " 8.5"

< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 18 Mar 05 15:33:14 >
Vincent Cook

• Total Posts : 152
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 09, 2004 18:18
Thanks for that. You' re getting me really excited now for Wednesday night, I live in the Uk. I need to find a games store that will have a midnight madness thing on though....
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 09, 2004 19:33
A few things:

1. PLEASE tell me that the Chief actually moves quickly in this game. It was like I was crawling on the ground with his speed in the original. It' s most prominent when comparing it to other FPS' s...

2. Are there more weapons this time? I would certainly hope so.

3. Are the levels a little less repetitive? I mean, the indoor environments in Halo were almost identical to each other.

I have been hoping that Bungie had addressed all of these issues for the sequel. If they did, I' ll be excited.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 09, 2004 22:02
I' m poor and can' t afford Halo 2. I' ll probably wait for it second hand or something. But at the same time I want Halo 2 in one of those spiffy metal tins. I could do with gettling Live before I get Halo 2 so I can take advantage of the online mode.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 01:22
I got suchan awsome deal on Halo 2. Reserved it at the local Target and they automatically take $5-$10 off on new releases then I got the free strategy guide (even if i dont use then but hey it was free.)

Controlling MC is alot smoother and yes he seems to have a bit more speed. But Ive only gotten 3 minutes of play before the girlfriend called and i really count throw her off for a game...even Halo 2. Ill explain mor eon the game later once I get some more time on it.
Spacepiston

• Total Posts : 164
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 02:15
Played Halo 2 for a few hours...

Graphics are slightly better then the original, but not as good as I hoped..

Master Chief moves just as slow as before.

AI is about the same. Friendly AI is a bit smarter.

Level design is very similar and familiar, but with more variety. Bigger backgrounds.

Sound is the same.

Gameplay is better. Its even more fun to play now then before, and the story seems pretty cool.

All and all Its a 9/10 game for sure, despite some graphical glitches I noticed occurring during cut scenes.

I liked it. Its Halo 2, its at the least a great sequal to a great game.
Mass X

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 02:53
ya i dunno about using the in game rendering for cut scenes. it didnt bug me much, but it was noticable.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 03:58
Every review I have seen rates the sound better than the graphics, and they is all right! The sound is a definite 10. Much better than the first game when listening in Dolby Digital. The center channel is actually used sometimes! Wow! The subwoofer could still be used more, so the sound isn' t as good as, say, Gun Valkyrie. The game is pretty good but not mindblowing. I really hate being stuck inside Master Chief' s helmet. It' s so obsructing, even in 16:9 mode. I want 3rd person view, again like Gun Valkyrie. The first level is (mostly) dark, but it is fun. I have to take a break every now and again due to motion sickness (as a direct result of being stuck in the Master Chief' s helmet). I think the FPS makes aiming much easier, so I guess it' s a trade off.

The music is very similar, only better. I can' t wait for it to be ruined by the sounds of Incubus, Benjamin Breaks Wind, and Hoobastank. Overall a pretty good game, but not as good as Out Run 2 or Bonk' s Adventure.
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 04:48
I got HALO 2 the day it came out and we played 5 player system link for 5 hours then got 5 hours of sleep,then i played on Live for about 2 hours and then it was Co-Op for the next 4 hours.

This game is the best game out right now.The Graphics are amazing it looks nice in 480p on my 51" .

Its flaweless on live as well,it runs as smooth as it does system link.

There are some 1 second late bumpmap loading but its not that bad.

< Message edited by russian mobster -- 11/10/2004 5:51:16 PM >
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 05:09

This game is the best game out right now.

Highly subjective statement, and the less games you' ve played for every available system, the less credible it is.
Vincent Cook

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 05:19
Hmm, not looking to good then huh?
DaRoosh65

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 12:43

A few things:

1. PLEASE tell me that the Chief actually moves quickly in this game. It was like I was crawling on the ground with his speed in the original. It' s most prominent when comparing it to other FPS' s...

2. Are there more weapons this time? I would certainly hope so.

3. Are the levels a little less repetitive? I mean, the indoor environments in Halo were almost identical to each other.

I have been hoping that Bungie had addressed all of these issues for the sequel. If they did, I' ll be excited.

Answer #1: The MC does move a bit faster, but nothing more than a slight increase.

Answer #2:Yes. More weapons, better weapons, and much improved weapons! I do love dual-wielding the sub-machine guns (or whatever they are called)...MAN! They rock!!!

Answer #3: Yes. Definitely less repetitive and, at this early point in the game, more overall variance and time spent in one particular area. This equates to more different scenes and it' s all so amazing looking!!!

One more great thing I did notice...when given the choice of getting into the ghost rather than the warthog, I chose the ghost (due to the higher-powered onboard weapon). Here' s where the game surprised the he** out of me...

The driver' s seat on the warthog was then boarded by a marine that drove it along side me - helping me fight the Covenant forces! And...they were actually a great help in eliminating the enemy forces!

Kudos goes out to the folks at Bungie for upping the marines AI like that!!!

Also, even the bigger enemy craft are susceptible to the rocket launcher, as I had to take pop-shots at one of them to get it to leave. I damaged its engines and it left smoking pretty badly...Oh Yeah BABY!!!

One last note: I haven' t see the traditional enemy dropships yet, and am pretty sure they no longer exist (someone correct me, if you' ve seen them). The newer dropships use that energy cylinder (as seen in the original Halo) to drop troops into the battle areas. And those ships have like 5 turrets on their underside!!! And, " yes" they all will turn to fire at you all at once!!!

Another way they get enemy troops into battle is what looks like coffins that drop and stick upright into the ground (so far only in the beach areas) and break open to reveal their contents...usually brutes!!! It can be quite discerning to think you' ve cleared a specific area only to have 8 (or more) of these coffin-like vessels drop in to make reaching your objective even more difficult...

These are just a few of the basic things that go on...
DaRoosh65

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 12:51
Sorry for this double-posting, but I just heard that Halo 2 made $100 million in the first 24 hours!!!

That equates to 2 million copies sold!

Congratulations to M$ and Bungie for such an awesome product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 17:43
Is that even more than GTA:San Andreas o_0 ???
< Message edited by whatabout_paul -- 11/10/2004 5:45:31 PM >
Mass X

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 18:50
Funny thing happened while playing Halo2. I left my tank for a small moment just to check soming and then I cam back to see that the cannon was aimed at my. Seems one of the bastards jumped in while i was away. Neways I jumped on punch the shit out of the drivers hatch and threw the thief out. good stuff.

And has ne1 took the time to look around? The enviroments are active almost non stop. Space battles, sand hurricane, crazy stuff.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 10, 2004 19:16
All I' m going to say is " I LOVE HALO 2"
Mass X

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 11, 2004 00:19
I love the story thus far! the twists the unlikly connection omg omg omg I love it!
Vincent Cook

RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 11, 2004 05:27
I got it last night. Yipee! Problem is, is that I can' t play it till Saturday due to my school work.....
HydroGen

• Total Posts : 52
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 11, 2004 11:53
There is a lot more variety in Halo 2 campaign and usually there are some allies or vehicles to use.
Now this is based on about 15 hours on the game.
WTF have they done with all the originals weapons:
1 - Rocket launcher locks on now but it doesnt feel like the original one. There is a covenant rocket launcher but i am not sure if it is choose able on mp.
2 - Pistol is less powerfull and doesnt have a zoom.
3 - Sniper rifle is much easier to use and takes the skill out of it.

The ending is terrible because it is not really a ending a more less says there is going to be a Halo 3.

Apart from these things i think the game is good but it definately doesnt deserve to be 2nd on gamerankings.
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Halo 2: Initial Personal Thoughts and Impressions - Nov 11, 2004 16:26
I' m pretty happy with the changes of the MP weapons. Leaving some of them the same would have been a big mistake.

Pistol: Way too strong in the first Halo, but it' s quite nice in the new one. I' ll be honest, I was a pistol whore in the first game. Now though I' ve had to move on to other weapons, and I think I play better because of that. Plus, the pistol is not completely useless in Halo 2. Two pistols is about the same as the original Halo' s one.

Rocket Launcher: Now people have a fighting chance against rocket whores. I like how they are mainly used against vehicles in this game.

Sniper Rifle: Still really powerful...it' s probably my favorite weapon right now when we' re playing CTF. I got bitched out the other day because I went 24-0 kill/death with the sniper rifle. I told the guy I would have felt bad if your whole team hadn' t stormed my sniper post and I killed you with my battle rifle.

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 52

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message