Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Framerate Corner
jars

• Total Posts : 148
The Framerate Corner - Jan 25, 2005 02:18
Ok don' t confuse this thread as some arena where 60fps puritans battle 30fps puritans. Rather, this is a useful thread for people who want to know framerates of certain console games. Since most game reviews don' t mention anything about the framerate other than that " it' s constant" , or that " it drops" .

If you' ve bought a new game, kindly add the game to the list with its corresponding framerate (below 30, 30, or 60), please copy/paste the list and add your game.

1) Metal Gear Solid 3 (ps2): 30
2) KOTOR 2 (xbox): shuffles between 60 and below 30fps.
3) Halo 2 (xbox): 30
4) Gran Turismo 4: 60
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 25, 2005 06:21
Battle for middle earth: 5 fps (my crappy PC in the basement I tried to run it on)

-sorry, didn' t see the consoles only part there. but people should be aware that this game is a resource waster.

The only console game that I deffinetly know the fps for is f-zero gx which I bought last year. 60fps no drops.
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 1/25/2005 6:23:03 AM >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 25, 2005 21:01
The problem with this is that most people haven' t a clue what framerate they' re acutally seeing.

What is a pity is when we play BETA builds of games (including most significantly Mario Sunshine and Halo 2) that ran at 60 or very close and then released with 30 nonsense. BOO!
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 26, 2005 11:21
Wow Mario Sunshine used to run 60fps? Aww man that sucks... now that it' s 30.
jars

RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 26, 2005 20:11
Halo 2 at 60fps! gosh!
Hmmm, if anything, i' d say it really can go 60fps, but MS just locked it at 30, so that they could release the special edition Xbox 2 version at 60fps! hehe, hope nobody assassinates me for saying that, hehe.

Anyway, Let' s forget about that list at the top, and just talk framerates. If anyone has a question about framerates or framerates of certain games, our good friend Mr. Adam Doree here can help us. Hehe, hopefully... if he' s willing.

Adam, would you take TOCA 2 over Forza Motorsport anytime? Have you been able to play an early build of Forza.
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 28, 2005 14:49
Now a days framerate is much better than what it used to be. I went back adn played some halo 1 co-op and red faction multiplayer, the framerate i aweful, its so laggy, hard to move and shoot. Im glad for better framerates
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 29, 2005 00:58
I play all my xbox games in 640P, and Halo 2 is seems higher than 30 to me.
I know if u aren' t in high def, everything will seem 30, because ur only scanning every other line so 30 would be what it seems for every game. Although I don' t think halo 2 runs at a solid 60 either, I' m guessing somewhere around 45.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 29, 2005 01:02
Halo 2 runs at 480p. I don' t think there is such a format as " 640p" . When games run in 480i (non-HD) you can still see 60 " frames" per second. True, each " frame" is only 240 lines, but there is motion since the last field of 240 lines was drawn, thus you see 60 different images per second. Halo 2 runs at 30fps, as did Halo 1 I believe.

Rallisport Challenge 2: - 60fps - 480p - Widescreen - Amazing!
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: The Framerate Corner - Jan 29, 2005 06:38
Yes, Halo 1 was 30FPS.
jars

The Death of 60fps - Feb 02, 2005 02:50
Are We seeing the slow demise of the 60fps game?

It was my observation for a long time that American games concentrated on other aspects rather than framerate. A significant percentage of US-made games had a " more graphics / less framerate" philosophy. European games i think had a higher percentage of 60fps games compared to US games. Japanese games however i' m sure had the highest percentage of 60fps games.

With the recent release of MGS3 and Fatal Frame 2 however, the Japanese might be changing their priorities. Fatal Frame 2 was made by Tecmo, a company known for their dedication to 60fps. Which is proven with their consistent 60fps releases (DOA, Fatal Frame 1, Rygar). Tomonobu Itagaki even once said in an interview that ' the day that there comes a DOA game that isn' t 60fps, is the day i retire from the gaming industry' (paraphrased). MGS3 made the famous " more graphics less framerate" tradeoff, improving it' s graphics over MGS2. Fatal Frame 2 however is 30fps but i don' t see an improvement in graphics over the first one, strange.

Could it be, that the Japanese are starting to see the marketing advantage of making better looking games at the sacrifice of framerate? are we seeing the death of the 60fps game?

locopuyo

RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 03, 2005 00:45
lol yeah my bad i was thinking 640x480 resolution and got mixed up, I meant 480P.
Anyways, I wish more games would run at 60 fps, but I guess with console first person shooters when you are aiming with a controller you have some auto aim to help you out and it you really can' t have as precise movement so the super high framerates aren' t really needed. But for fighting games like DOA there is a deffinite advantage to 60 fps.
I can live with 30, but I think I would rather be playing a lesser detailed 60 most of the time. I know when I play first person shooter computer games online I always go for 85+ fps, anything lower looks flickery or choppy to me, and a res of at least 1280x1024, and I sacrifice a better looking lower res or lower frames per second. I think it helps aiming a lot, and the jerking and blurryness of lower res bothers me. Sometimes when I play Halo 2 after playing CS or UT2k4 I get a headache.
jars

RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 03, 2005 08:49

lol yeah my bad i was thinking 640x480 resolution and got mixed up, I meant 480P.
Anyways, I wish more games would run at 60 fps, but I guess with console first person shooters when you are aiming with a controller you have some auto aim to help you out and it you really can' t have as precise movement so the super high framerates aren' t really needed. But for fighting games like DOA there is a deffinite advantage to 60 fps.
I can live with 30, but I think I would rather be playing a lesser detailed 60 most of the time. I know when I play first person shooter computer games online I always go for 85+ fps, anything lower looks flickery or choppy to me, and a res of at least 1280x1024, and I sacrifice a better looking lower res or lower frames per second. I think it helps aiming a lot, and the jerking and blurryness of lower res bothers me. Sometimes when I play Halo 2 after playing CS or UT2k4 I get a headache.

Sounds like you' re a hardcore PC first-person gamer! hehe. Talkin about 80fps and all...
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 03, 2005 10:58

With the recent release of MGS3 and Fatal Frame 2 however, the Japanese might be changing their priorities. Fatal Frame 2 was made by Tecmo, a company known for their dedication to 60fps. Which is proven with their consistent 60fps releases (DOA, Fatal Frame 1, Rygar).

Actually, it' s not Tecmo who is dedicated to 60FPS, it' s Itagaki himself who is the graphics junkie. He runs a sub division called Team Ninja, and 99% of the time Tecmo and Team Ninja' s games are independent of each other. Although Tecmo technically owns Team Ninja.
locopuyo

RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 03, 2005 21:19
Itagaki pwns u l337 ninja style b cha cho.
He is 60 fps because that maxes out TV fps, except u freak PAL people with ur 50 fps. I bet he would want higher if TV went higher.

As for me I' m pretty sure I can tell the difference between 100 fps and 120 fps, maybe I' m just some sort of freak, but I really wish TV was smoother and I could run games that smooth. Maybe I' ll get a geforce 6800 ultra and run HL2 at its lowest settings and 800x600 res so I can set my refresh rate at 200hz and get that many fps.
Joe Redifer

RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 03, 2005 22:58

He is 60 fps because that maxes out TV fps, except u freak PAL people with ur 50 fps.

Hilarious! Best sentence ever written!
jars

RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 04, 2005 09:18
oh i see. Thanks for the TEam Ninja info.
Ok here' s an interesting thought: Could it be that some human' s eyes can actually perceive framerates above 60fps? Have you or any of your friends ever played a pc game on a monster machine running at 100fps with a matching 100hz refresh rate monitor with anyone noticing a difference between the 100fps and the 60fps?
Joe Redifer

RE: The Framerate Corner - Feb 04, 2005 17:14
The human eye can perceive more than 60fps but beyond 60, it becomes difficult. You couldn' t tell the difference between 80 and 90fps but you could probably tell the difference between 70 and 120fps. The problem with computer games is that they " stutter" . They rarely have a locked framerate and instead just try to go as fast as they can. As a result the frame rate is all over the place. Even if it never drops below 70 it still looks like smelly unshaven ass because of the inconsistency. As far as locked framerates go, I wouldn' t see any need to go over 85fps or so. I' m even perfectly happy with 60fps.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll