Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not]
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27
the.ben

• Total Posts : 324
Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 08:00
i haven' t had time to look much into this as of yet, but i heard some staff talking at EB Games over the weekend about the new nintendo system. what they were saying about the new nintendo system didn' t really interest me as i am not a huge nintendo fan. what interested me is that they started talking about how after this system, nintendo is considering not doing consoles anymore. that this would be the last console nintendo would and afterwards they would partner up with (someone. lost conversation here for abit), and would be concentrating more on (something. i think game development or handhelds or something. they walked way out of earshot here). i was wondering if anyone else heard anything else about this or could put some truth to it.
< Message edited by Adam Doree -- 4 Apr 05 19:42:58 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 08:11
Going the way of Sega? Wouldnt surprise me. The handheld market has always been a good place for them anyways. I myself havent heard anything, but have thought about similar things.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 4 Apr 05 16:12:03 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 09:04
Nintendo has billions of dollars Cash in the bank..

According to a report I read they were the #1 most profitable, making more money than any other gaming company this generation. I don' t think there' s much to worry about yet, they' re still sitting comfortably. ;)

Microsoft on the other hand lost uber millions into the billions on the Xbox venture but they knew that going in.

the.ben

RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 09:08
no no, it wasn' t a monetary thing as i understood it. nothing in the way of bankruptcy or selling off or anything.....just going in a different direction or something.

...in fact, i' m gonna try research it right now.
the.ben

RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 09:26
i did some quick searching, and here is really the only article that i found. how stable and reliable it is i don' t 100% know, but it makes alot of good points.

http://www.nintendospin.com/article893.aspx
< Message edited by the.ben -- 4 Apr 05 17:26:56 >
Terry Bogard

RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 09:34
Partner up with Matsushita (Panasonic) perhaps? Those two have a close relationship and it would make sense for Nintendo to further align themselves with a powerhouse like that.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 09:47
When I said going the way of Sega I didnt mean bankruptsy but more to the fact that they focused on one main thing rather then multiple areas (game developer/producer).
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 10:01
Just a bit ago, I read an interview in which a prominent videogame representative implied that he had knowledge which would lead to Nintendo becoming a part of M$ within 5 years.

Seems to fit into the ' after this console' scenario, too!

I just wish I could remember where that interview was located...

I' ll see what I can do to locate that interview.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 10:14
I read an interview about a month ago, not sure where, where the big N claimed they were a console company, would stay a console company, and always will be a console company. I' d like to think that, but you can never know.
Terry Bogard

RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 11:06
I' ve always believed that the rumors of Nintendo possibly going third-party or being bought by another company was just wishful thinking on the part of many in the industry and that' s still a belief I have.

Nintendo is just TOO stubborn and if pimp daddy Yamauchi continues to have any kind of say in the matter it' ll take an Earth shattering event, like hell freezing over , before you see them go third-party/2nd party even two generations following the next-gen..

< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 4 Apr 05 19:06:52 >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: nintendo rumour - Apr 04, 2005 11:42
There is no truth to this rumour whatsoever, it is simply people guessing what might happen. And it might happen at some stage down the line, but there is nothing to suggest that right now. However there was a scare that this might have been true around this time last year (see the full story here) http://games.kikizo.com/news/200402/011.asp but apparently, not.

Two staff talking in EB Games is the last place you' ll hear anything about big time industry news worth listening to if it' s not already in a credible place on the Internet.
the.ben

RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 12:37
i don' t take EB Games as a credible source by any means, but i thought it would at least be worth checking out.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 12:47

Two staff talking in EB Games is the last place you' ll hear anything about big time industry news worth listening to if it' s not already in a credible place on the Internet.

I had an EB guy telling me that he was expecting the PSP to outsell total GBA sales by the end of the month. word.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 16:27
Nintendo was most profitable because of the GBA, not the Cube. The Cube makes far less money than the Xbox and PS2.
Fragus_Maximus

• Total Posts : 156
RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 16:45
Nintendo, I believe, has always been kind of a kiddy company...Thats why they' ve never really sold well, the main reason Gameboy sold well was because it was the only thing out there that you could actually play easily, and well. But now that the PSP is out Nintendo might feel intmidated by the PSP, and retire to another genre...I still have respect for nintendo, no doubt about it (i have a gameboy and a GC) but its always felt kidish to me.
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 16:46
ms lose money on every xbox sold, as do sony on their ps2.... so surely that means they aren' t making a profit on the systems literally....

cube' s are cheaper to make, but still lose money on each sold... but nintendo have a policy of not making a loss on their consoles, and haven' t admitted that they are doing so on the cube...

whereas ms make no effort to hide the fact that everytime they sell an xbox, they aren' t actually making any money.
Joe Redifer

RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 17:45
Xboxes must be much cheaper to produce nowadays due to the outdated technology. You could probably build a PC with the same guts as the Xbox for an amazingly small amount. Now when the Xbox first came out I imagine the losses were tremendous. But that means nothing to Microsoft.
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 21:56
yeah i agree... they seem to have a bottomless money pit!!!

though nintendo still make a profit, and are also sitting on a nice pile of money - i think with nintendo it' s a comparison between what they used to make, and what they make now... big difference, but still profit
Joe Redifer

RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 04, 2005 23:19
I heard one quote by a member of another forum and I think it' s pretty good:

" Gaming has changed. Nintendo hasn' t."
Terry Bogard

RE: Nintendo Hardware Exit Rumor [or not] - Apr 05, 2005 01:39

" Gaming has changed. Nintendo hasn' t."

hehe That' s pretty good..

Another good quote I read which is also a spoof on the tagline at the end of EA game commercials:

" EA Games. Challenge Everything...... except us."
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread