Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 A dilemma...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 04:57
say there are 2 consoles in the market with of course equal power, one will be supported by only american developers and the other one by japanese, which would you pick up ??
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 21 Sep 05 13:41:20 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 05:18
Well seeing how i thinks its equal in the console market,and pc market is usa only,and i got a great pc i would take the japanese console.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 10:29
Western RPGS(Elder Scrolls)>Japanese RPGs (FF), the reason I mention RPGs is because that is all the Japanese seem to make, so my vote goes for the westernized console.
QuezcatoL

RE: A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 11:36
What i love about japanese rpg ans espcially FF is that they take 30-40 hours min.
First time you play them.
I love long games,can' t stand finish a game in some hours :)
Oh btw i just finished fahrenheit in 8 h 32 min,but that game was so amazing i doesnt care
Jartsu

• Total Posts : 16
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 15:11
To me it seems like the American gaming industry is so stuck on just throwing out a sequal every other year or so (cough) EA (cough) that it doesnt change the game but just adds new levels and a new trick buttom. I mean how many new ways can Mr. Hawk flip that skate board of his aroun. Oh and did you here about the latest addition to the sims....they added three new t shirts that you can wear this year and even some crazy afro hair cuts WOW..... Anyway my point is...American games lack the beauty and innovation that should be meticulously dedicated to each game. This is why I think Japanese games (the majority at least) are more enjoyable. Its like they actually see the games as an artform that can also teach us.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 16:35
I' d take the Japanese supported console by VERY Far and wide. It' s not even a fair contest because the US supported unit wouldn' t even be a thought in my mind.
Auron

• Total Posts : 157
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 21, 2005 17:12
Overall, the Japanese make better games than any other country and seemingly have more creative geniuses than anywhere else, so I' d easily pick the Japanese backed console over an American backed one.
Ak1ra

• Total Posts : 13
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 17:29
hum...it' s hard to say

in terms of RPG I would go for the american industry (neverwinter, elders scroll, kotor...); fighting games...japan no doubt; fps america; fun & original games japan; strategy america... like I said, it' s hard to say
< Message edited by Ak1ra -- 23 Sep 05 1:29:58 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 17:52

ORIGINAL: Jartsu

To me it seems like the American gaming industry is so stuck on just throwing out a sequal every other year or so...
Anyway my point is...American games lack the beauty and innovation that should be meticulously dedicated to each game. This is why I think Japanese games (the majority at least) are more enjoyable. Its like they actually see the games as an artform that can also teach us.

Ok, which Final Fantasy are we on now? Ridge Racer? Dead or Alive? Tekken? Sonic? Mario?

My point is that sequels bring in money, plain and simple. I really don' t think that American (actually western) companies put out any more sequels than Japanese companies. As far as western games lacking beauty and innovation, I disagree. They merely choose to express it in a different way. Japanese gamers may not see the beauty and innovation in Halo, but I certainly do. Personally, I think that European and American game developers have become as dedicated to the trade of video games as anyone in Japan. Just look at Halo, God of Way, Mercenaries, Chronicles of Riddick, Warcraft, Oblivion. The list goes on. They are most definitely DIFFERENT than Japanese games, but I definitely think that they cannot be written off as inferior. It just boils down to taste, I guess. Final Fantasy (which is up to iteration 12), or Jade Empire (which was entirely new and innovative)? Only you as an individual can decide that. Hell, I say don' t decide, and just enjoy them both.

*edit*
Oh, yeah. Seeing as how the last 3 games I beat were " western" developed games, I' d have to go with the west. But, damn, I' d miss Team Ninja! I don' t know if I could live without the next DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball on the 360!
< Message edited by Chee Saw -- 23 Sep 05 6:00:58 >
QuezcatoL

RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 17:55
metal gear solid,gran turismo,future shenmue?,house of dead?
Resident evil,pokémon and ofc " tales of" ,just to name a few.
your right chee saw,but i gotta say one thing-i do in fact think the japanse games gives more innovation to the market >_<.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 23 Sep 05 2:00:14 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 18:07
Fair enough. Thank God we don' t actually have to make this decision. It' s cool to think about, though.
< Message edited by Chee Saw -- 23 Sep 05 6:07:54 >
Abasoufiane

RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 18:31
man Final Fantasy series are way better than Jade empire, just pick any one of them (ones after final 6) ...

IGN gave 9.9 to Jade empire, are they killing me?? i didn' t even beat it because it was slow and boring with a so so design (even if it' s original) ... the score should not exceed 9.2 (according to IGN standard reveiws)

and i prefere japanese games by far althoguh americans have some good games but they are few ( i loved riddick, far cry , half life 2 ....) thay are big in FPS but that' s it .

RPG Japanese hell yeah at least for characters they are extremely more charismatic

racing japanese (don' t bring up Forza because if it wasn' t for its online the game would not be that successful)

Platform Japanese and americans (ties)

Action adventure japanese

fighting japanese

FPS americans

and Do not forget that not all non-japanese devlopers are americans, hell there are at least two outstanding companies from europe (ubisoft and Rareware) and those two bring a lot to the gaming industry and more influenced by the japanese gameplay than american gameplay? y' all agree right ?? right???

so in my opinion, americans do not compete in most cases with japanese , they are just not that big, and do not get suddenly all patriotic
QuezcatoL

RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 18:36

IGN gave 9.9 to Jade empire, are they killing me?? i didn' t even beat it because it was slow and boring with a so so design (even if it' s original) ... the score should not exceed 9.2 (according to IGN standard reveiws)

Heh...i seen worse,gamespot gaved one of the tonyhawk games to ps2 10/10,i guess they give it does scores because it does what it supposed to do but perfect.

Abasoufiane

RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 18:47
i should creat a thread just to discuss these kind of stuff

QuezcatoL

RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 18:52
Okay ^^ i will give some comments then,might be intresting to read
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 19:08

Ok, which Final Fantasy are we on now? Ridge Racer? Dead or Alive? Tekken? Sonic? Mario?

My point is that sequels bring in money, plain and simple. I really don' t think that American (actually western) companies put out any more sequels than Japanese companies. As far as western games lacking beauty and innovation, I disagree. They merely choose to express it in a different way.

He makes some good points.. There was a poll long ago in which Japanese and U.S. gamers were polled. And the Japanese gamers were asked which they preferred, New Original games or Sequels, and the MAJORITY picked sequels.. Whereas the U.S. gamers picked Original games. So if Japanese developers pump out a lot of sequels, one of the reasons is probably because it' s what their market wants..

As for the reason for my choice, the genres that I adore the most (platformers and shooters) have never been done well enough to my satisfaction by developers outside of Japan... One totally underrated game I can think of was Donald Duck: Goin Quackers, hehe.. I really liked that game despite its problems.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 23 Sep 05 3:12:34 >
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 19:31
i would pick the japanese console
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 19:40
I always enjoy seeing residentevil327' s random I like sony posts.
Jartsu

• Total Posts : 16
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 22, 2005 21:44
No I see your point Chee saw...I was being to general and vague....something that I try not to do but I do think that most of those games that you mentioned tried to make take steps to better the game or change the game even though sometimes they failed...

I also love alot of American games myself. I played starcraft like a crackfiend for almost 2 years of my life and I rented an xbox back in the just to enjoy halo.

Another point I wanted to mention that we might consider is the how long Westerners been making games compared to the Japanese. It kinda reminds me of how white males used to be the best at the olympics and pro. sports but that is because they were the only ones allowed to play. And now we see all these amazing and wonderful athletes that have immerged now that everyone can play. Does anyone see where I am going with this...(kinda weird analogy) but have a bit more experiance making games especially when you think about it in video game years. But the new guys definately have a place because without new people entering the gaming world we wont have as many new ideas. Thanks for the feed back.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: A dilemma... - Sep 28, 2005 12:01
JAPANESE no matter what genre the game is.
It' s them who made consoles a better gaming option than PCs.

Who cares if game' s a sequel if it rocks? The painfull stuff are games that suck adding not only number 2 to the title but loosing the point of original design or giving you extra content like bugs or worse control :)

We' ve been playing games on consoles for JAPANESE gameplay up till Xbox and PS2 (there weren' t to much great Euro/US productions for PSX - just a few and not that big)

The only difference was RARE but it could' ve been Nintendo' s influence cause their genius seems to be gone for know. Same deal wit RETRO STUDIOS and Silicon Knigts - Thirst great game turns up under Nintendo' s wing and silicon Knights Eternal Darkness is so briliant yet MGS Twin Snakes is not on par with that quality.

You look at a game like San Andreas - great hype , lots of things to do , pop-up right in front of your eyes and many many bugs plus the overall feel of an unpolished production - that' s how I see US and Euro Devs with some exceptions ofcourse but still to few.

Why can' t they make a good fighting game ? Cause it' s all about balance and polish here.

But the new guys definately have a place because without new people entering the gaming world we wont have as many new ideas.

Yeah the problem is the only big changes come from the old players like Nintendo (REV, DS , software that many of you know and those who don' t I DON' t CARE :) )
, SONY (EyeToy and SingStar and others) Etc.

The new guys usually make more of what others do untill they gain enough trust for someone to let them do something different and still many of them won' t have the balls to go that path.
< Message edited by ]GaNgStA[ -- 28 Sep 05 20:06:08 >
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread