Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark?
Vincent Cook

• Total Posts : 152
Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 14, 2004 18:38
Has anyone heard anything about Perfect Dark Zero? Rare have released no information about it and all we have telling us that there is going to be one is a picture of a mine and a couple of cel shaded joanna dark pictures(I will try uploading these pictures when the upload is working). Is Rare hiding something from us or do they not want anyone knowing about it?
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 14, 2004 18:48
Ive almost forgotten about that. Last I heard it was a 2005 release or maybe even canceled.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 14, 2004 23:23
There' s a small chance PDZ will get shown at E3, but most of Rare' s staff has been working on Conker and finishing the recently delayed Kameo.
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 14, 2004 23:34
I personally don' t like the New Joanna Dark... she is too cartoony... even to me a person that is great in cartoons... she was better off realistic like in the N64. I mean... ugh...
Vincent Cook

RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 15, 2004 05:25
Hehe. I hate cel shading it ruins games. Take XIII for example..rubbish game (although it wasn' t made by Rare, hmm....) Lotusson, PDZ wasn' t shown at E3 or TGS this year. Not even a glimpse. Looks like I' ll have to keep playing the original on N64 till next year....
ElectronicsJunkie

• Total Posts : 62
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 15, 2004 06:40
I personally love GOOD cel-shading games. I say good because if the game is good, then the cel-shading feels right. Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker was a great game (controlwise) and the actual linear gameplay wasn' t that bad either. Granted that if it had the look that the new LOZ will have it would be far better, but only the future will tell if I' m right. As for the Perfect Dark cel-shading, I think they can pull it off. I really think they can pull it off without it being a disappointment.
Starman Anthony

• Total Posts : 563
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 15, 2004 18:22
Perhaps you are right... I should give it a chance. I mean the game' s not even out. I will keep my options open because I respect Joanna Dark.
Vincent Cook

RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 16, 2004 06:15
Hmm, i might as well too if everyone else is doing it. (Please Note : If my mates were jumping off a cliff I wouldn' t too, I would call an ambulance,lol)
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 16, 2004 06:31
It could be adding up for one hell of a release for Xbox 2. Halo 3 and Perfect Dark on release day would make me weep with joy, and the fact that I would have to shell out all that money.
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 16, 2004 09:33
Yoshimitsu, isn' t that just a great feeling? New Game Release day is like just a few pegs lower on the " Joy" scale under " First Child born" and " First Child Graduate"
Ah...good times. Good times...
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 16, 2004 11:08
Vincent Cook - I was referring to the upcoming E3 next year.

ElectronicsJunkie - Last I heard PD was adapting a more anime inspired design but was not using cel-shading.
ElectronicsJunkie

RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 16, 2004 15:53
Oh, ok
But still, the anime look can work for games if the feel of it is pulled of properly.
The artistic style has to match the gameplay feel and story feel.
Vincent Cook

RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Nov 16, 2004 16:06
Sorry Lotusson. I thought you meant this one. Yeah you are probably right. Rare are too busy working on Kameo and Conker Perfect dark might not show up at e3 2005
Russian Mobster

• Total Posts : 357
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Dec 02, 2004 22:29
Isnt Perfect Dark now an XBOX 2 title???
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Dec 03, 2004 00:06
This is what I found:

Source : Rare-extreme.com

Further update on Perfect Dark Zero

We know from our Tour of Rare HQ that the development teams are up to something big with Perfect Dark Zero. Rumour on the street is that Perfect Dark Zero is the new launch title for the Xbox 2. We have a sneaking suspicion that this may be the case. More news as it breaks!

Okay, okay. We said wait till XO3, you did, and we heard nothing. What does that mean? It basically means Rare isn' t ready to release even a smidgen of information on Perfect Dark Zero, because not only will it take over the hype of other games, all the laddies and lasses poking Rare in the ribs for information will be constant. We' ll take a guess and say Perfect Dark Zero will be officially revealed at E3 2004. Until then? You' ll just have to wait. And when will it be released? 2006 is what we' ve heard...

21-11-04

Perfect Dark Zero Story and game details revealed. Click here for the full story.

19-11-04

Quick update on Perfect Dark Zero, it seems our beloved Grant Kirkhope (musician for Perfect Dark) is not doing the music of Perfect Dark Zero and is instead busy creating music for an announced next generation title (guh huh!). The musician for Perfect Dark Zero will be done by none other then the mysterious Dave Clynick. Dave helped Grant in Perfect Dark by doing the music for the cut scenes and one tune Grant didn' t have time to get to.

Here' s another one from Rare-extreme:

Perfect Dark Zero Story?

Xbox.com has made a new survey on Perfect Dark and as part of this survey they seek your opinion on a next generation Perfect Dark game. The survey takes ages to do and is extremely picky on who is eligible to take the survey. But if you want to have a go, here' s the site (no longer active) Xbox.com linked to for the survey.

During the survey they gave two interesting details about the game.

The story

" Now, you will be shown a brief description of Perfect Dark Zero - a prequel to the original Perfect Dark game.

Joanna Dark returns in the prequel to the multi-award winning first-person shooter Perfect Dark.

A secret war has begun - between shadowy corporations bent on world domination. Joanna Dark and her father Jack are caught up in the fight for the future of the planet. A routine bounty hunting mission rips open a global conspiracy that will change Joanna' s destiny - forever.

Perfect Dark Zero is fully online compatible. Play through the story missions and experience multiplayer with more players than ever before on a home console.

The description goes further to include:

" Support for Clans
Leaderboards
" Special-OPS" (a gameplay mode where you play as the main character thru the single player story line while one of your other friends plays as the enemy character)
Support for Tournaments
Multi-player Deathmatch (online or split screen)
Single Player Story Driven Missions
Multi-player Challenges (you compete with friends against AI) (online or split screen)
Spectator Mode
Downloadable content
Vehicles
Cooperative Story Mode (you play through the single player story with a friend)
High tech gadgets and weapons"

This looks like it might just be the first official information on Perfect Dark and confirmation it is on the Xbox 2 and a prequel to Perfect Dark on N64.
We' ll be chasing up Rare' s response to this one to stay tuned...

Here' s another article that' s a bit dated, but informative:

Perfect Dark Zero

01/06/2004
By: Derek dela Fuente
Source: Totalvideogames.com

Rare Reveal All!!!

In an uncharacteristic move Mr. Scribes lets slip a few details regarding Perfect Dark Zero & Killer Instinct 3…

When posed with the question regarding Perfect Dark Zero in Rare’s Scribes section, we were surprised to learn that the traditionally sarcastic response wasn’t issued, but instead an answer that may shed some light on the truth of the game.

In reply, Scribes commented “Kameo and Conker are currently the only Xbox projects that we' ve shown to the public, yes. There may be others, or they may end up on the next machine. It all comes down to the fact that releasing games in the last stage of a console' s lifespan can be a less than hugely profitable experience, so sometimes it makes more sense to carry them over to the early days of the machine' s successor.”

Certainly this adds credit to the belief that we have that Perfect Dark Zero will become the launch title for Xbox2, in the absence of an ‘original’ Halo title to launch the new system in late 2005.

Hinting that Scribes may in fact be suffering from some illness, he went on to further answer questions about the possibility of Killer Instinct 3, claiming “We' ve said we may well do it when the time' s right, we feel we can produce something truly worthy of the name, and it' s got any chance at all of selling. The market for 2D fighters hasn' t exactly blossomed since KI2/Gold (almost a decade ago now, lest we forget), whereas the bar is arguably much higher for 3D fighters, so even that' s a decision we couldn' t make lightly. But as ever, we' re not ruling it out.”

So what has happened to Rare and more particularly Mr. Scribes; being helpful is certainly not a trait of his that we’ve come accustomed to in the past. Whilst these are likely to remain unanswered questions, we would suggest that seeing Rare releasing titles after Conkers and Kameo on the Xbox are certainly looking unlikely.

We’ll have more information soon.
< Message edited by DaRoosh65 -- 12/3/2004 12:30:45 AM >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Have Rare Forgot Perfect Dark? - Dec 03, 2004 22:53
It' s Xbox 2. There' s pretty much no doubt about that.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll