Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Do you listen to reviews?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
Auron

• Total Posts : 157
Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 03:26
I never listen to reviews and just really use them as a guideline to know of the games features and the like. I prefer renting them from rental stores and in some cases GAME and then making my mind up myself. I would just hate to miss out on an enjoyable game, just because some other people with perhaps stupid opinions tell me to, I mean I' m not a sheep, I' m an amazing individiual of considerable talent
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 08:48
Nope, I read my reviews.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 09:42
I like reading people' s reaction to reviews..... if that makes any sense at all.
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 09:57
Depends. I always listen to Gamespot.com and IGN.com. Of course though, nothing compares to hands-on play.
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 10:15
I would rather rent it and review it myself. I do check a lot of website' s reviews before buying the game at all tho. If it doesn' t score above 8, I' m not getting it.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 11:03
I never listen to reviews of any kind. Ever. I read them to educate myself a little more about the play mechanics of a game, but my interest is never increased or killed for a game or movie I' m looking forward to no matter how many sites and magazines give them bad reviews.

And even though I review games for Kikizo, one thing I always hope is that readers don' t purchase or miss out on a game because of something I write, I just want them to gain a better understanding of the game from my own gameplay experience. If it' s a game they' re remotely interested in then I feel they should always give it a try, regardless of bad reviews, just to see if it' s something that they' ll like.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 12:18
I use reviews a lot just to see if a game lives up to hype. Normally I already have ddcided if I want the game or not long before the reviews role in. Btw, I don' t trust gamespot reviews for anything. That site is horrible.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 12:35

Btw, I don' t trust gamespot reviews for anything. That site is horrible.

LOL.. At the risk of getting shot, I actually like GameSpot. From reading some of the reviews they seem to be REALLY tough to please a lot of times, and they' ll score a lot of games that even I LOVE pretty low, lol. BUT to tell you the truth that' s one of the things I like about them and I also appreciate that a lot of games won' t easily score a 9 rating or above, unlike other places like IGN :p

For example, with the original Shenmue, GameSpot was one of the few places, maybe the only place to score it as low as they did. IGN gave is a 9.5 or higher. I thought the original Shenmue was probably worth a 7.5.. The only thing that disappointed me about the GameSpot score was that they bumped it up because of pressure. If they felt it was deserving of a 6.8 then they should have stuck by that score.

Whenever I wanna read about a game getting ripped a new one, I read Kikizo and GameSpot reviews, lol.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 13 Aug 05 20:36:55 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 14:42
I read reviews, but more often than not I ignore them when it comes purchase time. The only thing I can' t ignore are tasty SCREENSHOTS! I don' t rent games, unfortunately, but I rather enjoy the demos on the OXM disc. I probably SHOULD start renting. At Game Crazy they give you the price of the rental off of the game purchase price!
MikeK

• Total Posts : 147
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 17:04
I never listen to reviews, I just buy the games that look interesting to me. But I do read them and of course I read about the games I want, I dont just go to the store and say this game looks cool i' ll just buy it, no that' s not me.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 17:35
i dont listen to reviews.in my head if i think a game is gonna be good i will buy it
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 17:44
Yeah, IGN is alot more fair in their reviews than Gamespot. I think alot of it has to do with how they approach the game. With IGN, they grade a game based on presentation and what it brings to the table. As for Gamespot, they like to compare the game they' re rating with it' s predecessor, or another, highly rated game in the same genre..

Like with Donkey Konga 2, IGN gave it an 8 or so out of ten, and said that people will enjoy using the konga drums, and multiplayer is a blast.

Gamespot gave DKonga2 a 6.9 out of ten, saying that it' s basically the same formula as Donkey Konga 1, and isn' t a drastic improvement from the first one.

They' re both right, and I trust them both.
< Message edited by Jason Zeidan -- 14 Aug 05 1:45:03 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 18:01
I sometimes do unofficial reviews for current and old games. They are the best reviews I have read, and I agree with every single one of them!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 14 Aug 05 2:01:41 >
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 13, 2005 18:04

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

I sometimes do unofficial reviews for current and old games. They are the best reviews I have read, and I agree with every single one of them!

yea i agree with you the unofficial reviews are the best
< Message edited by residentevil327 -- 14 Aug 05 2:06:24 >
Stephen Rowley

• Total Posts : 75
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 18, 2005 10:53
I only trust reviews from Edge, but even then I try to find out info from other sources. Most decisions I make my self by using Game' s excellent 10-day no fuss return policy.

More importantly though, how many forum users here read Kikizo' s own reviews, and of those that do, what do you think of them?
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 18, 2005 11:01
To be honest Stephen I hardly ever read the Kikizo reviews, adn taht' s because I find that they aren' t highlighted enough on the main page. If I go to IGN or gamespot and a review for Geist is up there' s usually some big screenshot, or a sancy flash animation sending me to the review. With Kikizo it' s either a small image, or simply a title. I also find that the reviews tend to be behind others, but that could be a PAL vs. NSTC issue, or simply that you don' t send enough hookers to the game developers to get your hands on the games early. I did read your review(or rather Joe Ten Brook' s) review of Beyond Good and Evil before I picked it for my free game, and have to say it was pretty compelling and entertaining. I still haven' t played the game so I can' t say If I agree or not, but it was a good read!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 27, 2005 15:49
IGN - Jade Empire 9.9 , THPS2 (DC) - 10 (like Zelda OoT and SC for DC)
Gamespot - Shenmue - 5,4

That said I do read reviews but I know that no matter how good the site is , they often get overhyped (Halo 2 , JADE EMPIRE , Bornout 3 , San Andreas) and don' t rate some games fair enough.

like : Darkwatch , OutRun 2 (awesome) , Yoshi' s Touch and Go , Ferrari F355 (DC) , Majora' s Mask and many many more :)

I know I know :) it' s just my opinion
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Aug 27, 2005 16:07
I go for 4-5 diffrent reviews and ask friends,i buy a lot of games though.
If i see a game that looks cool but get bad score i might hear with friends then decie.
If there is a gameserie i love that people dislike+reviewers i buy it still.
For ex brokensword serie,i dont care if next game get a 6 or 7,im getting it.
Jakfan3

• Total Posts : 26
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Sep 13, 2005 13:53
no way
Jakfan3

• Total Posts : 26
RE: Do you listen to reviews? - Sep 13, 2005 13:59
PLus i rent games i think will be good then rate them my self. I will post my reveiws starting with JAk3 i give it 10 of 10 my gold game. If you have any requests email me and i will do my best to rate it fairly. I know a good game when i see them only games for n64 gamecube ps2 xbox gba gb gbc and ds
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message