Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Fallout 3
Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 95
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 18:47
What do you guys think?

Does it look good or epicly bad.

It definetly isnt going to be the Fallout 3, i or any other old Fallout fans wanted, but does it seem like its going to be fun?

Graphicly its subpar, animations are jerky.

What does the game have going for it?

Im at a loss if i want to cancel my order and get fable 2 instead, i could just get Fallout 3 in a bargain bin fro my pc someday.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 18:53
I think it looks like Oblivion with guns, which is good for me. The only part about Oblivion I didn't really like was the shitty combat, but if you throw in guns it pretty much solves itself. I didn't like the original Fallout, and I never played Fallout 2. If you have the option between this and Fable, I'd definitely say get Fable. I mean, come on, Vx, you know you just want Fallout so you can complain about it, amirite?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 19:20
Does anyone like the VATS system?  Seems like a half-arsed gimmick to associate the game with the old turn based system, without really committing to it or making it useful.  You just use it now and then to annihilate one enemy and then go back to playing Oblivion with guns.

Would have peferred to be able to toggle something in the options menu in order to play the whole game in turn-based mode or real-time mode.  I dont see why they are trying to make two games - one to please the Oblivion crowd and the other to appease the Fallout crowd.  They should've committed to one or the other and made it good.

It definitely leans heavier towards Oblivion though, from the videos anyway.
<message edited by choupolo on Oct 18, 2008 20:43>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 19:26
It won't be in the vein of previous Fallout games. Critics will love it, because it'll be an entertaining title. Newcomers to the series will love it, because they have no preconceived notion of what Fallout should be. Fallout purists will hate it, because it won't be what they're looking for.
Vx Chemical

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 19:37
Yeah, im looking through GTV which has a lot of video from it, and it looks bad. It lacks the depth of fallout.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=43

I dont understand why they had to get the fallout license to make the game since people who like fallout will dislke most of the game.

I still wonder why so many people including myself liked Oblivion when it launched, looking back the game doesnt really have anything going for it.

mm i wish reviews of fable II and Fallout 3 would be posted, the fact that they havent yet, doesnt bode well for what grades they will get,.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 20:19
It's also Microsoft Game Studios and Bethesda, so it could just be them aggressively enforcing the review embargo.

There's been one review up already. A Swede, though I don't know if he's affiliated with any sort of media. PC Gamer Magazine maybe?

Pulled off a backwater forum I forgot to link to before closing. Sorry.

score: 81%
Pros:
VATS
SPECIAL
Megaton at night
Cons:
A feeling of lifeless backdrops
Lifeless/stale Characters
To much on a too small area

Its Written by Joakim Bennet, who has proclaimed love for Fallout many times over the years he has been at PC gamer sweden.

Other short stuff(not quotes):
Vats is great, realtime combat isnt. The realtime combat (damage/hits etc) doesnt seem to be in sync with whats happening on the screen.
HtH combat in 3rd person is just as bad as in oblivion
Bennet misses the world map, random en****ers, the empty wastes.
AI isn’t great. Enemies running in circles and no reaction from NPC that gets hot from a long distance is quite common.
You can pick up anything that isn’t bolted to the floor.
The SPECIAL system and Perks works great

He also writes about four important points and compare them to the originals:

The Fallout atmosphere
The story
Combat
Perspective(transition to 3d)
Bennet writes that the game delivers on these four points but not all the way.

Heres some short translated segments (English isn´t perfect though ):

“I`m going to take the edge of this review right away. Fallout 3 IS “Oblivion with guns”, No matter what i said earlier. There, I said it, now theres no return.”

“…And everything would be wonderful but that feeling that the game is missing something. I cant quite define it, Call it a feeling, call it whatever you want, but when the gates of vault 101 lies far behind me, the eyes have adapted to the light and 15 hours have passed i start to think. About hopes that have fallen short.
Because in fallout 3 i get most things served on a silver plate right away. Bethesda has tried to fit as much content as possible on a little area. One second im running into a pack of Radscorpions while 30 meters further ahead theres a little settler town. Around the corner i meet some slavers with their captured slaves and beyond the hill some raiders have set up camp. A few minutes of running brings me to some ruins swarming with lethal deathclaws that wants to eat me. Its compressed, maximized and anonymous all at once. It feels like a huge orgy where no ones want to actually “do it”. A lot of bumping and grinding but no friction and no excitement. Many parts but they don’t paint a whole picture.”

“Fallout 3 is an uneven game if I´ve ever seen one”

“I manage to “aquire” a house that I decoratedin pre-war style, and my very own robot-butler, Wadsworth, that always greets me with a delighted cry and calls me madame. But when i sit down in an old dusty sofa and listen to Maybe by The Inkspots on my Pipboy 3000, i notice how soulless my own character is. Lifeless eyes, skin that looks like plastic. Fake. Phony. Bethesda still haven’t managed to instill life into many if the people that inhabit their universe.”

He doesn’t like the voice actors but the dialog is good:

“the dialogs will piss people off, but mostly because they are recorded with voice actors of extremely varying quality. Had some of the lines been put into the original games or vice versa, no one would have complained.”

“… But first and foremost, the game doesn’t let go of you, despite flaws. the story always makes you want to take a few steps more, and after every disappointment there will be a moment of awe. The details, the at times stunning landscape and the possibility to change the main characters look in all eternity.”

“Its hard to let go of my baggage as an old Fallout player, but when i sit down with the third part of the game i really try to stop comparing the games, and at once it feels much better.”
mastachefbkw

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 20:21

mm i wish reviews of fable II and Fallout 3 would be posted, the fact that they havent yet, doesnt bode well for what grades they will get,.
I would say they'll both get around a 9.5, so it probably won't help much anyway. I say most sites will give Fable no lower than a 9 and some will probably give 10s, and Fallout will get no lower than an 8.7 and no higher than a 9.5.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 21:09
I never played the original ones, but I know the feeling of having a cherished game dumbed-down and changed into something else.  So, I think I'll enjoy it; it looks interesting to me.  But I sympathize with the fans of the originals.
Vx Chemical

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 21:21
I just cancelled my preorder of Fallout 3 and ordered fable instead. Ill get it soemday i guess, it just looks too have departed too mcuh from fallout, i guess if they had named it anything but fallout, i would have been looking forward to it.
mastachefbkw

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 18, 2008 21:52

I just cancelled my preorder of Fallout 3 and ordered fable instead. Ill get it soemday i guess, it just looks too have departed too mcuh from fallout, i guess if they had named it anything but fallout, i would have been looking forward to it.
Look at the bright side, by the time you get it there should be a few patches already out. I remember when Oblivion first came out I would randomly get stuck in a wall or rock.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 01:04
Vx Chemical

Just ordered Force Unleashed and Deadspace, so I guess Im cancelling this as well. I just find myself hard pressed to care with Fable 2, WaW, and Gears 2.
Eddie_the_Hated

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 04:46
Oook. Should have rented TFU. It kicks ass, but once you're done with it, you'll shelve it.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 04:51
Eddie_the_Hated

Fallout 3 IS “Oblivion with guns”, No matter what i said earlier. There, I said it, now theres no return.”

mastachefbkw

I think it looks like Oblivion with guns, which is good for me. The only part about Oblivion I didn't really like was the shitty combat, but if you throw in guns it pretty much solves itself. I didn't like the original Fallout, and I never played Fallout 2.

Zoy

I never played the original ones, but I know the feeling of having a cherished game dumbed-down and changed into something else.  So, I think I'll enjoy it; it looks interesting to me.  But I sympathize with the fans of the originals.

To summarize all the quotes above:
From the beginning most of the videos, screen shots and gameplay shown, it was clear that that Fallout 3 was to be like Elder Scrolls with guns.
Most of you never played Fallout 1 or Fallout 2 but elements from the previous games are still there. So if you didn't like that style or type of game Fallout 3 might not be for you.
Eddie_the_Hated i read the "review" you quoted and it seems some of the old problems still exist. Such as cramming too much in a little space.
e.g. Entering combat: Where many enemies come at once, the game takes time to long for everyone NPC, enemies to play.
Hell i have not played Fallout 3 but i still these elements still existing. But i am not going to get discouraged, this is what i expected and wanted to see how the dev. would go around this. So thats why i will pick it up anyway. Try it and see how it plays.

I see some of you pre-ordered it already and now feel disappointed.

<message edited by the_shadowwolf on Oct 20, 2008 04:53>
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 06:28
I'm in agreement with Vx. I have no idea why they bothered to get the Fallout IP to begin with. It's nothing like the originals.

It's probably a good game in its own right but I'm not inclined to buy it. It just doesn't interest me.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 08:59
I don't have massive hopes for it.  I think the healthy attitude is to keep no expectations.  I like the RPG elements, and the whole 50s view of what a post apocalyptic future might be like.  Even if the gameplay is totally different it does have some Fallout charm.  I'm going to get it but I can't see myself playing very much this year.  I'll save it for another time.

Fable 2 and C&C3 Red alert are the two games I'm most excited about in the next two weeks.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 18:50
As long as it plays well, I don't care, I really hope it's not too much like oblivion though in terms of genericness, though if it has anything as bad ass as the dark brotherhood type of quests thats enough to justify a purchase.
immortaldanmx

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 19:59
Ive officially decided. Im keeping my pre-order for this, Gamestop is throwing too much free shit at me to not keep it. Force Unleashed, Deadspace, and Fable II will all be here tomorrow. I cant wait.
Vx Chemical

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 20:05
I hate that Europeans has to wait for games, even if its just a few days. It's stupid. I want Dead Space and Fable now damiit.
immortaldanmx

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 20:07
Vx Chemical

I hate that Europeans has to wait for games, even if its just a few days. It's stupid. I want Dead Space and Fable now damiit.

I feel you, waiting a day is getting to me.
immortaldanmx

Re:Fallout 3 - Oct 20, 2008 20:40
I just got the new OXM, they gave Fallout 3 a 10.
Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 20 of 95

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message