Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PSP2
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 06:22
...likely won' t look anything like these cool renders...

...shame...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 06:26
...Well file those under " damn sexy" .
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 06:37
Damn that' s sleek!!!!!!

Sony should be all over this for their next PSP design.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 06:53
So, aside from them being simply (admittedly, some of the best) renders (I' ve ever seen), this merits some discussion.

What do you all think the merits of a larger handheld " device" , would be? I don' t use the word console for a reason.

On the one hand, it' s already been made very clear that Sony' s attempting to appeal to the 20+ crowd with a decent amount of pocket money. They got their asses handed to them in the casual games market, it wouldn' t make sense for them to head back down that route, not with the DS cornering that end of their consumer base.

However, on the other hand, a handheld' s appeal is to a point limited by size, and while it' s very thin, and very sleek, that render isn' t very compact. We' ve seen how larger handhelds have fared, and while they all had their various extraneous issues, (primarily battery life and software support) they all had one unifying thing in common. Most handhelds that failed were too big, too wide, or too clunky looking.

I personally love the idea of a " slide" design, and the larger screen is always a welcome addition, but I have to wonder if the consumer at large would catch on. I have a hard time seeing it, especially if they continue to market it as a handheld gaming device, as opposed to a universal handheld device, for movies and music. (Admittedly, something they' ve made smaller strides toward in the past year with the release of the redesign).
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 07:59
seen this on neogaf.. Whole the screen is great those device is flawed, imagine playing games on that thing... I just would not work.

Its a good start and hopefully the real psptwo will end up something like this.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 08:24
They should put the cell processor in the psp2. I sure they could use it for something.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 08:34
the problem with this render is the absence of any protection for the screen , there should be one specialy with that screen and design , it' s a handheld, a problem i see with the psp as well.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 08:48
I am not very fond of the actual design, though I love the size of the screen. However, being this big, I think it would be very hard to carry it around on your pocket, like you do with your PSP/DS. It kind of defeats the purpose of it being portable I think.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 09:05
Stuff that slides open like that breaks too easily.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 16:36
not if its made properly; my samsung phone slides, has taken a lot of abuse and still works perfectly.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 17:29
The main question is would they still use the UMD format for game and film discs? I personally think they will go down the digital download path, which then causes issues with storage.
killemoff

• Total Posts : 173
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 17:37
Besides the obvious screen damage that would take, the other issue would be the controls, namely the analog.

Stick a decent one in something like that and im sold (never played on a slim, so don' t really know if there is a diference).

It does indeed look damn swexy.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: PSP2 - Feb 12, 2008 18:44

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Whole the screen is great those device is flawed, imagine playing games on that thing... I just would not work.

Agreed. Your thumb would keep hitting the bottom of the screen, especially when you pressed an upward direction on the d-pad or the triangle button. Personally I think the regular PSP and the PSP slim or whatever the hell it is called look much better than this. This looks awkward and clumsy, but the render quality is great.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12 Feb 08 10:45:11 >
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: PSP2 - Feb 13, 2008 05:17
Well to get rid of the fear that your thumb would keep hitting the bottom of the screen, I suppose you could make it so that the screen not only slides out but also slides out and up into an L shape. Not sure how that could actually be done, but it seems to me that would eliminate your fears Joe!!!

I think that this design would be perfect for also solving the issues with the analog stick being too small. If the screen in fact slid out and up into an L shape, then that would leave more room for a larger analog stick. But in the end, it would just be too big for a handheld.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll