Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Does nintendo have it right with no HD support???
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 42
Wolfjack

• Total Posts : 36
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 04:37
*sniffs*

Hey! This displacement-mapping smells like snake oil!

Honestly though I don' t think Nintendo needed HD. Like the saying goes... It' s not how many pixels you use... It' s how you use them.

As Mario Galaxy has proven, we' re still in for some fantastic graphics in SD yet.

But thinking a few years down the line when HD acceptance has grown to the full, the Wii will seem outdated. So that' s the problem, Nintendo have given the Wii a shorter lifespan than the other consoles by not adding HD.

One thing though, you can see DVD players now that upsample the video of SD DVDs to run in HD on HDTVs.

Could Nintendo, if not a third-party, release an add-on that could do the same for the Wii? It could even just be software that does it.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 05:26

Does nintendo have it right with no HD support???

...of course they do...

....nintendo' s target audience are simply not interested in anything as technologically complex as HD...

...Wii could be less powerful than gamecube and nintendo' s target base would still love it....

....i can' t believe a real nintendo fan would ask such a dumb question anyway...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 06:10
Wii' s hardware specifications are still to be finalized. It' s custom built GPU (developed in conjunction with Nintendo' s specifications) is highly likely to be leaps and bounds more advanced than the GeForce 3 that Microsoft used in the original Xbox,

People keep comparing the processing speed to that of the Xbox too, which is daft considering that Wii will have a PowerPC based core rather than a Pentium 3 like the Xbox. The fact is that the PowerPC based processor will be significantly more " powerful" than the Xbox' s CPU, even at a comparable clock rate.

Wii' s game' s a year in will look like Xbx 360 launch titles without the high resolution. I seriously expect Mario 128 (if it ever appears) to look something like Kameo graphically. I mean, Gamecube was hardly a slouch, games like Rogue Leader/Squadron, RE/0/4, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker and the forthcoming Twilight Princess easily outshine much of what was released on Xbox!

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 06:16
Something tells me that ATI has made something a lot better then that geeforce 3 in XBOX,its gone 5 years you know :P
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 06:17

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

[....nintendo' s target audience are simply not interested in anything as technologically complex as HD...

Damn it. You made the point i was going to make

That' s what it' s all about really. Honestly I think Sony is putting TOO much attention on HD.

But the real reason they are doing that isn' t for games anyway. They' re trying to win the HD movie format war.

Of the three companies, nintendo seems to be the only one truly concerned about gameplay progressing this gen.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 07:21
I take the Wii will support True VGA/component output at 480p maybe even some games at 720? (a few Xbox games are 720p compatible)..

I’ve noticed that when i play my Dreamcast via ‘true VGA’ it still looks lovely, even after playing super-high resolution PC games on the same monitor (in fact I’ve noticed my Dreamcast’ss VGA kills my 360’s, looks super sharp and MUCH brighter)..

I’m assuming the Wii will have similar output the DC' s but this time the GPU will Anti-analyze to sort out any jaggies..

And lets not forget that Nintendo makes some of the most vibrant and best looking games anyway..
Wolfjack

• Total Posts : 36
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 20:45
It' s anti-alias, not analyze.

Nintendo' s certainly no stranger to anti-aliasing. The effect was OVER-used on pretty much every N64 game. Only later games like Perfect Dark and Donkey Kong 64 looked sharper.

Mario 64 emulated on a pc monitor at 1024x768, is a sight to be seen. Ditto for Zelda:Ocarina
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 29, 2006 23:46

ORIGINAL: Game Junkie

Wii is saving a lot of performance by staying in SD, remember Wii is not much more powerful then an xbox, the simple truth is that Wii can' t support high def and maintain a quality of graphics above GameCube.

This is simply NOT true.

You said that the Wii is more powerful than an Xbox, but can' t support HD! The original Xbox IS HD!!

Wii could easily support HD. It' s just that Nintendo decided that video game players are not interested in this. Same as they did with online play this past generation.

ORIGINAL: f3hunter

I take the Wii will support True VGA/component output at 480p maybe even some games at 720? (a few Xbox games are 720p compatible)..

Nope. They said " no HD support" which means 720p is out of the question unless they change their minds. Hell, even 480p is considered HD (because of the widescreen aspect ratio) so if you have widescreen, you' re F***ED (just like the later editions of the Gamecube!)

Honestly, I think this is a stupid ass move. I WANT MY HD, DAMMIT!!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 30, 2006 06:59

nintendo' s target audience are simply not interested in anything as technologically complex as HD...

I' m their audience and I love the idea of HD visuals.I' m a gamer so gameplay comes first - but visuals are important.Still most Wii games I' ve seen present themselves nicely.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 30, 2006 07:25
Nobody really cares about HD. If we did, then everybody would have them.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 30, 2006 08:27
Have to agree with Silentbomber. HD doesn' t interest me at all.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 30, 2006 08:29
lol...come on people...

would you turn down higher reso in a pc game?
HD isn' t a must have in 360 games,but it' s give better graphics.
nekkid_monkey

RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 30, 2006 12:04
the question isn' t if hd is good or not. we all know it' s good. but i don' t see it as a big enough issue to make anyone adopt or snub a console.
Chee Saw

RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jun 30, 2006 16:54
*sigh* You guys just don' t get it. HDTV owners are simply better people. Our brains have higher functions, our manual dexterity is AT LEAST 10x better, and instead of feces, fully cooked, 6 course meals come out of our asses. That' s not even mentioning the fact that we ALL have sex with Jessica Alba every night!

Damn commoners!
nekkid_monkey

RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jul 01, 2006 00:21

ORIGINAL: Chee Saw

and instead of feces, fully cooked, 6 course meals come out of our asses.

OMFG. I ate dinner at a friend' s house last week, and we watched movies on his brand new HDTV!!!

...i need a breath mint.
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jul 01, 2006 01:51
LOL
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jul 01, 2006 04:08

and instead of feces, fully cooked, 6 course meals come out of our asses.

I feel unclean...
Chee Saw

RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jul 01, 2006 05:07
Breathmints are included. As are flatware, silverware, and toothpicks, unless your HD only does 480p.
industrocyberbot23

• Total Posts : 108
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jul 04, 2006 04:53

ORIGINAL: Chee Saw

That' s not even mentioning the fact that we ALL have sex with Jessica Alba every night!

Damn commoners!

And I' m sick of getting sloppy 3 million two hundred thirty four thousand and five hundred sixty eighths. Plus, Jessica just didn' t seem that interested any more!
Blackdraon309

• Total Posts : 28
RE: Does nintendo have it right with no HD support??? - Jul 05, 2006 04:42
majority people dont have hd tvs, especially nintendos mainn target so yah they have it right.As long as its fun it shouldnt matter the graphics.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 42

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message