Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 05:43

Dave Karraker, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, said the Wii did not belong in the same category as the more powerful PlayStation 3. " Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else," he said.

Karraker said that Sony was selling out the 100,000 PlayStation 3 units it was shipping into the United States each week, albeit somewhat more slowly than before Christmas. " The frenzy we saw at the holidays has subsided a bit," he said.

Besides, Karraker added, Sony thinks the Wii is attracting newcomers, while the PlayStation will be the console of choice for committed gamers.

Complete article here
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 06:03

Besides, Karraker added, Sony thinks the Wii is attracting newcomers, while the PlayStation will be the console of choice for committed gamers.

Commited Gamers will be there for the games and Playstation isn' t looking like it will have that right now. So fuck them :P

Haha, seriously though that was a really ignorant response considering prior Sony and Microsoft both were pro-Wii + Their console. Now Sony turns like a rabbid dog cause it is losing...sad.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 06:11
Ignorant is right!!!!

Wii is a great gaming machine for everyone, hardcore gamers included!!!

I smell jealousy!!!!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 08:03

" The frenzy we saw at the holidays has subsided a bit," he said.

Modest understatements are their forte. Just remember:

" The PS3 will be expensive" - Ken Kutaragi
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 08:19

Besides, Karraker added, Sony thinks the Wii is attracting newcomers

That part is definitely on point.

As for the rest of the post, um.................. obviously he is pretty ignorant. But I agree in part with the Wii being an impulse purchase. I don' t think all of you quite understand the amount of hype the Wii is getting. All sorts of people are running around raving about it, and TV stations are always talking about it. It' s the " cool" thing right now, even though its not as good as the xbox360. So yes, there are all sorts of people buying Wii' s because there is so much non-gamer hype going on.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 09:38
I know the Wii doesn' t even get mentioned in the regular media over here. Neither does the 360. All they ever talk about is the PS3 and the PSP. About how good the PS3 is, the features and when it launches. It' s the same on both the tv and the written media. On the other hand, they didn' t mention the Wii and 360 at all when they were about to launch. But still the Wii sells a lot, so it certainly isn' t with the help or hype of the media here.
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 14:40
I really cant undestand why so many people are buying wii, i mean clearly is an awesome console but its just too expensive for a console with no HD support whatsoever, without a hard drive disc, and with DVD drive, dont get me wrong please, i belive wii will be an amazing console once the right games arrive, but right now idont fell like spending 250 dlls for last gen looking games, mostly because i (like everyone else) have a PlayStation 2 and there are more great PS2 games i havent played than Wii games i want.

For the hardware we are getting the Wii should cost 199 dlls or less, then it would be fucking awesome.
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 14:43

For the hardware we are getting the Wii should cost 199 dlls or less, then it would be fucking awesome.

Free game included :P Nah, I honestly believe that HD doesn' t matter yet! So when people bring it up I scoff it off, the price point did seem high...but you are paying for a brand new experience. So in truth when you say it is last gen you are FAR off...it is next gen, just not in the way you think.

Edit: I should read more clearly, graphics are from last gen true, experience isn' t.
< Message edited by Alecrein -- 1 Feb 07 6:44:18 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 15:35
Interesting.. But the Wii not belonging to the same category as ps3 (or 360) is true in that is how nintendo themselves consider it. It is an impulse buy, it is selling itself to non-gamers, and there is a mass of hype surrounding it, but isn' t that all entirely what nintendo wanted from the start?

The first paragraph isn' t wrong. Sony spin is on the second... the ps3 is really not selling well but wait until us eruopeans get the chance... I am expecting the ps3 to do well here, or at least in the uk.

The third line.. you could sum it up like he said it... but that would be generalising, and you shouldn' t generalise. Because everyone likes something new now and again, though i honestly haven' t been hit by the fever yet, as there are still nothing for me to consider a wii purchase... Though if it was about £80 i would probably get one.

In anycase it' s his job to say this sort of stuff, he wants people to buy his brand and not another, so now if you listen to these statements and want to be considered a true/commited gamer, you will buy a ps3.(Or 360 going by his comments but he dare not say that)
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 18:32

ORIGINAL: canadagamer

Dave Karraker, a spokesman for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, said the Wii did not belong in the same category as the more powerful PlayStation 3. " Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else," he said.

Karraker said that Sony was selling out the 100,000 PlayStation 3 units it was shipping into the United States each week, albeit somewhat more slowly than before Christmas. " The frenzy we saw at the holidays has subsided a bit," he said.

Complete article here

Whatever...
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 20:26
In my opinion these comments look like sonys desperate attempt to make the Wiis current runaway success sound as ordinary and mundane as possible without sounding like jealous fools. Look at the words - ' Not in the same category as ps3' ie not in the same league, ' just and impulse buy nothing more' in other words no though or consideration went into purchasing the console. So sad.
Well you don' t fool me sony. Your jealousy at the Wiis success is as obvious as the years worth of blatant lies and BS you' ve dished out regarding the ps3.
< Message edited by Terrak -- 1 Feb 07 13:04:37 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 01, 2007 21:44

Free game included :P Nah, I honestly believe that HD doesn' t matter yet! So when people bring it up I scoff it off, the price point did seem high...but you are paying for a brand new experience. So in truth when you say it is last gen you are FAR off...it is next gen, just not in the way you think.

Edit: I should read more clearly, graphics are from last gen true, experience isn' t.

I disagree with Sonys comments, I pretty much disagree with everything they say actually. However I have to say that the PS3 and 360 offers a little more as a console then mearly HD or better graphics over Wii. HD is a buzz word, it means nothing to true gaming critics. Saying that HD or graphics on PS3 and 360 is irrevelant is not a criticism of the consoles but to the marketing of the consoles. HD matters, but that' s not why the PS3/360 are more coveted then a Wii. With more RAM and much stronger processors the PS3 and 360 have far greater potential in terms of gameplay experiences. A.I., physics, scope, depth, animations, scripted events, objects and yes graphics are all things that will excel on hardware modern hardware Vs. something that is over 5 years old (repackaged).

I' m not dismissing Wii but it certainly wouldn' t be my first console when I can afford the other two. Consoles are always limited by something, and considering that a controller can be changed to suit different gameplay experiences(i.e. Guitar Hero) and the console specs are written in stone I' d say Wii is by far the console with the most limitations. A new control scheme is nice but it won' t revolutionize gaming and it certainly won' t make up for it' s weaknesses.

That being said I still think Nintendo will be successful buisness wise, infact they are killing the other two. Look at their profit margines. I also think they are bringing in new gamers, escpecially girls. Everytime I go to EB games I always see a few girls ask if they have any Wiis. It' s nice to see market growth in the industry as a whole.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 00:52

Yes, they are selling directly to walmart so they can gather dust on the shelves

Strube

• Total Posts : 7
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 01:37
Who really cares? Wii is great fun and isn' t that why you play a video game? Better graphics and specs = more fun? BAWS! Play Wario warez. Can' t remember the last time I laughed as much playing a video game.

Fuck all this AIDs ridden chat about which console is better, talk about the games for fucks sake.
Harry

• Total Posts : 3
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 02:24
So what if it is an impulse buy.

If i wanted to get a loan to buy the ps3 i would do it. With Wii at least is cheaper and much more fun. Even the games are cheaper. I bought Zelda and played for 60 hours and that without the side quests. I play now everyday Wario ware and still enjoy it. If ps3 games (AAA titles) will go the way of XBOX360' s way (Gears of War), pay £50.00 and play for 8 hours of gameplay I don' t think i will be getting one.

So what do you prefer? A game that costs £50.00 that last only a day or two? or 2 games that will last you a week or two?

If that means impulse buying... count me in.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 02:41
I' m sorry, but $250 is no impulse buy for me. Cheers to you if you can just merrily part with that much money on a whim, and have a happy voyage home to The Planet of Affluent Ennui.

Edit: If any of you feel an impulse to buy a Wii for me, however, then I' ll be happy to endorse the " impulse buy" categorization!
< Message edited by Zoy -- 1 Feb 07 18:44:20 >
Dagashi

RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 02:51

With more RAM and much stronger processors the PS3 and 360 have far greater potential in terms of gameplay experiences. A.I., physics, scope, depth, animations, scripted events, objects and yes graphics are all things that will excel on hardware modern hardware Vs. something that is over 5 years old (repackaged).

Consoles are always limited by something, and considering that a controller can be changed to suit different gameplay experiences(i.e. Guitar Hero) and the console specs are written in stone I' d say Wii is by far the console with the most limitations.

I couldn' t agree more. The wii-mote funcionality will no doubt make a lot of games fun, but I wish Wii fans would stop saying it would cause an evolution in gaming. I' ve had fun with the wii, and I will pick one up once it has some more games, but I do not believe that a controller alone will revolutionize gaming.

As for some other posts in here, it looks like we angered some Wii buyers.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 03:04
I bought a Wii at launch and it was definitely not an impluse buy! I' m a student FFS! I can' t afford to be impulse buying! I pre-ordered the Wii in September so it definitely wasn' t an impulse buy.
Dagashi

RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 04:36

I bought a Wii at launch and it was definitely not an impluse buy! I' m a student FFS! I can' t afford to be impulse buying! I pre-ordered the Wii in September so it definitely wasn' t an impulse buy.

It isn' t the idea that ALL wii purchases are impulse buys, its that some are. I for one, know 3 friends who bought wii' s but don' t own an Xbox360 or ps3, or even decent home PC' s. Only one of em likes Zelda, and the other two barely play their Wii' s right now. Also, a lot of parents are buying their kids wii' s because it the cool family oriented gaming system. Let' s just say my 12 year old cousin wasn' t pleased when his parents bought him and his brother a Wii instead of an Xbox after he saved up his allowances and asked for it for christmas. And don' t tell me he is spoiled and should be happy with what he gets.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Sony Rep Slams Wii Sales - Feb 02, 2007 06:34

ORIGINAL: Avarice

It isn' t the idea that ALL wii purchases are impulse buys, its that some are. I for one, know 3 friends who bought wii' s but don' t own an Xbox360 or ps3, or even decent home PC' s. Only one of em likes Zelda, and the other two barely play their Wii' s right now. Also, a lot of parents are buying their kids wii' s because it the cool family oriented gaming system. Let' s just say my 12 year old cousin wasn' t pleased when his parents bought him and his brother a Wii instead of an Xbox after he saved up his allowances and asked for it for christmas. And don' t tell me he is spoiled and should be happy with what he gets.

He is spoiled, and futhermore should be happy with what he gets, kids these days....

I' d feel a bit cheated myself, poor kid. Hey but one day some totally aaa games will be available and he can laugh at all his friends with 360 or ps3..... or one can hope
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message