Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Videogame Art
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 07:24
Since the subject is one i have particular interest in and many of you guys have mentioned art direction in your posts i figured we could discuss it properly.

I' ll kick things off with the specific inspiration for the thread, Heavenly Sword.

Characters

Environments

From the released artwork and from the E3 demonstration it would seem that the originally planned LOTR style 1000+ character battles have been ditched in favour of something more along the lines of God of War. That HAS to be a good thing as it' ll allow for far more detail and much cooler environments which as seen in the artwork above have tons of potential.

The character art is just as cool and i like how faithful Ninja Theory were to the original art when they put the E3 demo together. Is iy just me though that is reminded of Mortal Kombat when looking at the artwork of the enemy characters?!

What do you guys thing about the artwork for this game and what it says about the title, and what other game art is worthy of mention?!
Hidemoto

• Total Posts : 311
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 07:45
I agreed to the resemblance to MK´s characters. Those warriors with hats look a lot like Kung Lao.

From the looks of Heavenly´s artwork it seems that did a great job at pre-production, and i always heard that a good pre-production work is half-way to a successful final product.

I can´t really think of a specific game artwork right now because i find almost everyday new concept sketchs of video games. But i´ll try to find some of those to share with you guys.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 08:44
I have nothing to add right now but I like this thread .
Visit www.conceptart.org
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 09:46
Well, well...

Heavenly sword, I recently whilst searching around on the heavenly sword forum happened accross the original trailer (didn;t download it as at 60mb the 2-5kb/s i was getting was too much hassle) but the screen caps and peoples details of it had it pegged somewhat differently. More japanese, different main character, not as good.

However in regards to ' dropping the large battles' apparently the game will still feature parts with huge battles along the lines of the original e3 05 cg trailer, according the ninja theory. and also no interruptions of cg in the game and advanced ai.

So, on topic, The art direction is nice and much better than the original version shown ages ago. I' m hoping based on the devs comments and the art direction that the game is something epic, something along the lines of SotC - epic wihtout the story as such (cut scenes)...
Nitro

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 11:01

However in regards to ' dropping the large battles' apparently the game will still feature parts with huge battles along the lines of the original e3 05 cg trailer

I don' t see it happening. They' ll have larger scale battles than the E3 demonstration but nothing on the scale of the CG they showed last year.

Personally i would much prefer it to be like God of war or Prince of Persia and have them concentrate of the details rather than simply try to compete with N3.

[image]I recently whilst searching around on the heavenly sword forum happened accross the original trailer... ...More japanese, different main character, not as good.[/image]

Yeah, i saw that years ago before the game got shelved. The trailer was rubbish even back then. Fortunately the PS3 version and the new main character look FAR superior. Some people are saying that they should be aiming for 60fps instead of the 30 they want to cap it at but they know 30fps will allow them more room to work on effects and have more detailed evironments/characters.

It' ll certainly be at TGS so we' ll get a better idea of how it' s progressing!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 12:30
It would be cool if they had different sections in the game, and maybe scale the graphics accordingly. Like have God of War sections, which would have much more detailed characters and environments, and have sections like N3, where the graphics are scaled back, but the sheer number of enemies is awesome. It would also break up the monotony of a game that focuses on one or the other (although I was totally enthraled with GoW, from beginning to end. I don' t think the same will happen with N3, though.)
Nitro

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 22:04
Y' know, Ninja Theory initially went to Microsoft for financial support in return for an Xbox 360 exclusive but their proposal didn' t impress and Microsoft said no.

Microsoft will be kicking themselves now that the game actually looks good.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 22:25

Y' know, Ninja Theory initially went to Microsoft for financial support in return for an Xbox 360 exclusive but their proposal didn' t impress and Microsoft said no.

Microsoft will be kicking themselves now that the game actually looks good.

Hmm... I think M$ has the golden touch; they always turn down things that
turn out to be big hitters!

I really want to meet the man (or woman) who persuaded M$ to keep the
Halo franchise - his balls must be squeaky clean!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 22:59

ORIGINAL: Tiz

Hmm... I think M$ has the golden touch; they always turn down things that
turn out to be big hitters!

Examples? Nothing springs to mind, other than Oddworld: Stranger' s Wrath, which, although an outstanding game, was not a blockbuster by any means.
Tiz

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 23:21
Didn' t they turn down R* for an exclusivity deal on GTA?
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Videogame Art - Aug 03, 2006 23:24
I thought sony turned down an exclusivity deal and microsoft went for episodic content.......dunno.
Nitro

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 00:05

Erm no. It' s rumoured that Sony wouldn' t pay what Rockstar wanted for exclusivity so it was made a multi-platform game with 360 getting exclusive episodic content. Still, if Sony' s online service takes off too then Rockstar would be insane to pass on PS3 exclusive content.
Tiz

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 00:12

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

Erm no. It' s rumoured that Sony wouldn' t pay what Rockstar wanted for exclusivity so it was made a multi-platform game with 360 getting exclusive episodic content. Still, if Sony' s online service takes off too then Rockstar would be insane to pass on PS3 exclusive content.

Well, that' s what I get for listening to the Tyco store rep... I' ll find the info myself
next time.

Bloody kindergarten department!
dasher232

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 00:15
Serves you right for eaves dropping on a kindergarteners conversation...
Tiz

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 00:18
But they were wearing " San Andreas" T-shirts, and green bandanas... How was
I supposed to know.. I' m gonna stop eavesdropping on conversations
where I hear the slightest mention of a PS3.. Only if they' re hot ladies dressed
in nothing but nightwear in a coffee shop for a Debenhams advert.
dasher232

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 00:23

Only if they' re hot ladies dressed
in nothing but nightwear in a coffee shop for a Debenhams advert.

I wouldn' t trust a hot lady either...
Tiz

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 00:27

ORIGINAL: dasher232

I wouldn' t trust a hot lady either...

I' d trust her to resuscitate me, when I conveniently faint at their conversation.
Just hope they don' t bring in the burly camera man called Smith to do it..
dasher232

Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
dasher232

RE: Videogame Art - Aug 04, 2006 02:30
I didn' t look at your thread I was reading the too human blog and did thoses unless thats what your thread was about if so sorry....
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message