Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 45
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 04:56
I heard this awhile back, and sony then came out to dismiss it, but now it' s confirmed.

Wednesday 24 May 2006
High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they' ve bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

Read here.. http://www.gamesradar.com/gb/ps3/game/news/article.jsp?articleId=20060524153157765035§ionId=1006
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 05:16

ORIGINAL: whiteguysamurai

it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they' ve bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

Really....so you can' t sell your games that you' re bored of....it just seems to me like when you get the ps3 you' re entering into an un-rewardable contract....stick with us F O R E V E R. Seriously I don' t see how much of a difference it can make
so in effect the games are going to be treated like a loan from sony that they will only take action on when you infringe on that loan by selling ' ' their property' ' ..I kinda feel for people who won' t be able to afford it, to me it sort of makes shopping for games that more serious...but then again if you get a ps3 you can' t be short of money so.
< Message edited by dasher232 -- 24 May 06 21:21:26 >
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 05:23
...inexcusable.... ...but typical corporate profit increasing bulls*it....

....then again.... ...older games usually get officially re-released as part of a lower price ' platinum/classics' sort of deal anyway....

...so perhaps the only real looser in this is the high street store, who when you think about it, does deserve the short end of the stick.. (considering the ludicrously low pittance that gamers get when selling their used games and consoles back)...
dasher232

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 05:28

ORIGINAL: Bishonen

...inexcusable.... ...but typical corporate profit increasing bulls*it....

....then again.... ...older games usually get officially re-released as part of a lower price ' platinum/classics' sort of deal anyway....

...so perhaps the only real looser in this is the high street store, who when you think about it, does deserve the short end of the stick.. (considering the ludicrously low pittance that gamers get when selling their used games and consoles back)...

I don' t expect it to be true to be honest. As much as sony has lost recently and need to up their profits putting that license would only be another road block (imo), also if you did that it wouldn' t force people to buy games in effect what you would be doing is limiting your audience pool, seeing as most of the times if I buy used game it' s just to try it out to see if i' d like it that' s why I think they won' t do that (least I hope not).
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 05:49
If they implement something like this, I will NOT buy one, guaranteed! It' s bad enough when you get something online, and you don' t own it, but to buy an actual PHYSICAL disc, and to not be able to do what you want with it?! That' s just INSANE.

If they are allowed to get away with this, could you imagine the corporate bullshit we' d get from the MPAA and RIAA (if you' re in the U.S. that is)?! They' d start doing ALL media like that! I was considering waiting for a PS3, but if they go through with this, FUCK ' EM!! I will NEVER buy one!
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 06:18
With everything that Sony' s been doing/saying lately, it' s like they WANT to lose. This will piss off mega-retailers like Electronics Boutique.

Doesn' t this also mean games cannot be rented, borrowed, or even taken over to a friend' s house? I remember reading something about that.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 06:19
Here Sony, I' ll hand you a shovel, you just keep digging that grave right there..
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 06:50
*laffo* They' re certainly giving us plenty of reasons to not get a PS3.

I know that even developers dislike the used game trade, since obviously a lot of people tend to buy used for less rather than fork out 50 quid for a new disc, which means they not only lose a potential buyer each time, they don' t see any of the money from that used game sale.

But even so, the idea of not owning (and being able to do whatever you want with) your PS3 games is rediculous. I certainly can' t afford £60 for a game if I can' t sell it again for ~£30 after I' ve done with it. If they were sold at an acceptable price in the first it wouldn' t really be an issue....but £60!

If they go through with this, there' ll be a lot of ' returns within 30 days' ....or not very many PS3 customers in the first place. [:' (]
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 06:50
There was talk of this a while back but I' m sure Sony actually dismissed it in the end. If this turns out to be true it would really be the game worlds most foolish move. It can' t be true, really.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:14
Actually, it' s not confirmed. That' s just clever journalism hiding up the facts. The only person that this piece of weirdness was confirmed by was a Mr. Matt Cundy (or whatever his name was). We are only going on his honor that game stores have recieved that announcement. No one else is cited that has real information. I see these things, i' m taking a writing course. I mean, for all i know, it could be true, but untill that time, i can quietly hope that sony doesn' t have a glock up against their temple like they will if this comes to pass.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:15
I haven' t gone to read the article, but from the quote posted, Sony can' t do this as it' s illegal. They can make it so that once a game is played on one player, it no longer plays on any other player, but they cannot stop me from selling MY property. It' s mine. I paid for it. I can wipe my ass with it, or sell it if I want, it really doesn' t matter, as I' ve paid Sony their money already. Unless Sony come up with some bullshit that you aren' t buying the game, only a license to play the game, and then as part of the license they provide you with the game, and if that' s the case RIP sony.

edit - Ok, I swear I didn' t read that article and then just post what they said to appear in the know or anything. God this is an idiot idea. What' s next, buying veggies at the grocery store, but having to mail back your shit when you' re done with them?
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 24 May 06 23:17:54 >
whiteguysamurai

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:21
No, it' s perfectly legal, as you can not resell your used copy of windows XP.

If this was to happen, there might be some sort of EULA you might have to agree with when you play the game for the first time.

Take it will a grain of salt, but this is not the first time i' ve heard this about the next gen playstation, and i doubt it' s some consortium between Microsoft and Nintendo.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:25
Would buying just the licenses mean the price would be lower? Thats really the only positive I can bring out of this idea.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:25

No, it' s perfectly legal, as you can not resell your used copy of windows XP.

You certainly can. You just can' t sell the license to use it. The whole issue there was because one user could install windows, use the license, and since the disc is no longer required, sell it, and someone else install it. since the games for the PS3 are most definetly going to require the disc, this isn' t the case.
dasher232

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:27
But I remember phantasy star online on the dream cast had a player unique number or something and when I got it used it didn' t work because it was registered on another console (or something like it), anyway that aside if they are worried about used games hindering the sales of the new ones I think and approach like having demo' s on their online service available coupled with making the games worth buying it new would do it, but taking away options is never good.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:42
Yea, I remember winning a copy of Matrix Online once. I used the serial number to register and create a character before realising that I couldn' t connect to any of the game severs because of my crappy uni internet connection' s firewall!

So then when I tried to sell it, the shop tells me they don' t take MMO games that have had their serial number used, and I realised that that made sense, heh. I was a little miffed. [:' (] Still I did win it, and I heard the game was a bit rubbish anyway, so I ended up just throwing the disc away!

So yea, the point is you can' t sell MMOGs after using them either (which along with the monthly fee is why I never buy them!). But at least you can level up your character and sell the character+disc on ebay. Plus they aren' t £60!
< Message edited by choupolo -- 24 May 06 23:42:39 >
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:49
To be seriously off topic, I lost sooo many months of my life to MXO! It might not be the best MMORPG but I' m a huge Matrix fan and loved it. Continue as normal please...

...Anyone heard this story elsware? Games Radar are a fairly big UK game site so anything they say I take note of...
< Message edited by whatabout_paul -- 24 May 06 23:57:01 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 07:53
I was looking but nothing so far.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 08:16
Sony DID patent technology that would make a disc unreadable on any machine other than the one it was first run in.

It would be suicide and i dont think Sony are THAT stupid!

They did say it wasn' t a games macine though.
whiteguysamurai

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 08:28
Let' s all count the bad press before the ps3 launches...

But you know, bad press is good for them, because it keeps us from forgetting it' s showing up at all.
And really, there are so many reasons to forget.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 45

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message