Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 45
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 08:32
It can' t be true, but i' ll stand by what i said before...

...PS3 = Saturn
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 09:18
Games Radar is almost all rumor and no real news. They always have misleading headlines and portray every rumor as a fact. anways...

What' s next, buying veggies at the grocery store, but having to mail back your shit when you' re done with them?

QFT
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 09:32
My point is that if Sony is allowed to get away with this, it would be a harbinger of doom for consumers! If they succeed, don' t you think the music and motion picture associations would pull the same shit! Of course they would!

I will start the most massive boycott of Sony EVER! If this is true, it could affect the way media is distributed to the consumer, forever!
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 10:21
Next-gen.biz have caught wind of the story and seem to be skeptical too.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3086&Itemid=2

The games industry may not like the used games trade but they have to accept that it' s there for a reason. Because games aren' t worth £50-60. Used PC games aren' t nearly as popular since they' re usually £20-30 to start with, and neither is the used DVD market.

So instead of just trying to stamp on them with tech that prevents re-use on another system, why not find ways of making games cheaper by not paying billions to make consoles and discs and millions to make a single game?
< Message edited by choupolo -- 25 May 06 2:23:39 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 12:50
demand
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 17:53

PS3 = Saturn

BUT..... PS3 doesnt have:

NiGHTS
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Clockwork Knight
SONIC JAM!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Oh, and a good pad!
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 22:03
there' s a comment of Sony Europe executive that says it' s bullshit - I think I saw it on Eurogamer or gamesindustry.biz.

I believe :" It would be suicide and i dont think Sony are THAT stupid!" is true , but there are a lot of publishers who love that idea - it' s the retailers that could get hurt in the process.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 25, 2006 22:24
I don' t believe they' ll go down that route but I think if they are infact thinking of the used games market as an issue I think they might take a similar approach like sony bmg did with the rootkit thing, but like someone said they might make it so that when the game is loaded on the first time it' s attatched to that system.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 26, 2006 02:31
If this is true [which I HIGHLY doubt] You think hackers will take this lying down?

Hackers are our friends, they are freedom fighters but history will never remember them for Liberating a game.

They are not your friends however when they hack into your computer, steal your credit card details, order 10,000 copies of Fifa srteet and piss in your coffee. I dont know how they programed my computer to do that.
Stephen Rowley

• Total Posts : 75
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 30, 2006 21:53
It' s not true... yet.

It might be in the future - retailers certainly want it to happen, probably Sony too (remember the whole Atrac3 debacle on their " mp3" players? You' d think they' d have learnt their lesson by now) - but Sony' d be shooting itself in the foot if they did summat like that, and end up cutting out part of their market.

It angers me that the whole concept simply lumps those who choose to buy games second-hand in with those who pirate software, and that is not cool.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 30, 2006 22:12
probably the cost that is 60$ take into consideration the second hand market, this price includes the sell lost, it publishers are sure there is no second hand market , it surely means that more consumers are obliged to buy a game " new" , may be a raise of 50% in quantity sold, this will allow them to reduce the price, and may be will see games cost only 40$.

this is just my theory, if they do that and they don' t lower games price to 40$; i would hate sony to death !
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 01:54

like someone said they might make it so that when the game is loaded on the first time it' s attatched to that system.

The only problem I can really see with this idea, besides the obvious is, now lets say you buy 30 games for your ps3. Your PS3 dies and you need a replacement from sony or buy a new one a few years down the line. Perhaps a PSThree, all of your collection would be rendered useless - unless you had to call sony and get a code to enter. But then who would want to sit there entering user codes/licence to play a console game?!

I don' t like to buy used games, or really to sell them, but the idea stinks and I think sony mustn' t do this... they are on a one way track to destruction and there aren' t many turn-offs left before it' s too late...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 01:58

probably the cost that is 60$ take into consideration the second hand market, this price includes the sell lost, it publishers are sure there is no second hand market , it surely means that more consumers are obliged to buy a game " new" , may be a raise of 50% in quantity sold, this will allow them to reduce the price, and may be will see games cost only 40$.

this is just my theory, if they do that and they don' t lower games price to 40$; i would hate sony to death !

I don' t care of they lower the price to zero. I live in a free country and I have a fucking right to do what I want with the stuff I buy.
They loose money on the second hand market but every other kind of industry has that issue. I think it' s sick to actually charge extra for that kind of thing. If I want to sell a product when I' m done with it then it' s my bussiness and I shouldn' t have to pay extra to the developers for that. If so then I should' ve been given the product at the same price the store bought it for since I have to go trhough all the work of finding potential buyers and using my time to make the deal.
I don' t know if other industries work that way but that' d be so wrong. Do publishers charge extra for books and comic books because there' s a second hand market? Furniture? Electronics? Clothes? Cars? If other industries work that way then we live in a twisted world.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 30 May 06 18:00:03 >
Abasoufiane

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:19
no they don' t charge for that but managers analyse stuff like that to determine the price.
i' ll give you an exemple:

suppose that an AA will sell in normal circustances 1 millions copies, just en exemple, please don' t point ou numbers and say that it should sell more that' s not the point ginijirou :)

ok 1 million copies, let' s consider that a good part of these copies will be sold in the seecond hand market, say 400.000 of these, of those 400.000 , another quantity will be sold say 300.000 and so forth.

now look , 1 million copies sold and more than 3 million household played those " same" copies.

now, you shouldn' t say that developers would sell 3 million copies if there was no second market, but it would definitly sell a lot more than 1 million copies, making it 2 million copies.

since managers and analysts would defintly know that, they could lower their margin of profit because they will sell a much greater quanity " for sure" , therefore " the standard" price that is 60$ should be much lower not even to attract the 2 millions that would buy the game whatever the price (if they have no choice) but also the remaining one million that would buy the game only if it' s cheap, herefore all he money would go to developer and everyone is " almost" happy. it still sucks not being able to sell your games, sometimes you need money for other stuff , and owning a game will be like you have no physical value, a fucking choclate bar.

i hope you understood my point.
ginjirou

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:27
Yeah, I did, I understand that developers want to get as many copies as possible sold and that they want as much of the profits as possible. But the whole thing just stinks.
Abasoufiane

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:30
i would not be " very" angry if they don' t put the price lower than 40 or 35$, hell they should do that!
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 30 May 06 18:48:45 >
choupolo

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:41
I just thought of another situation where we can' t sell the games we buy (on top of MMOs with used characters) - games bought via digital distribution.

I' m all for digital distribution cos it allows devs to get their money directly, bypassing retail, publishers etc, and the lack of ' shelf space' (read: infinite shelf space), means any developer big or small is in the game. And because of this, games are cheaper too.

I' ve bought a few games via this method, through Steam, directly from developer websites etc. Just bought HL2:Episode 1 for about £10! And there are more avenues for this eg Direct2Drive, Gametap etc.

But this is another situation where you can' t sell the game you' ve bought, because it doesn' t exist physically on a nice shiny, official looking disc. And more and more games companies are looking to this method in the future to cut out the used games trade eg EA with it' s EA Downloader (who still charge retail prices despite the savings they make!).

Again the only difference is that the games don' t cost £60 in the first place, so the predicament is easier to swallow (or even ignore).

I don' t think Sony will do this pre-owned banning thing, but I' m just saying that it' s probably coming one way or another.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 30 May 06 18:47:09 >
ginjirou

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:48
Once you' ve bought the game via that service you use, can you download it again for free in case your PC gets broken or if you happen to uninstall it? If so then it sounds pretty good.
Abasoufiane

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:51
probably man probably, sorry it' s obvious, steam is an account , they know what game you bought, they won' t charge you everytime you Format your computer.
< Message edited by abasoufiane -- 30 May 06 18:51:55 >
choupolo

RE: It' s true, no pre-owned for ps3. - May 31, 2006 02:58
Depends on the distributor. Most of them use a license system. So I think with Steam, once you activate the files once, you can download them to another computer via the same account and use the same license you' ve already bought. But you can' t use two copies/instances of that account at the same time.

So yea, usually you can dl the files for free, and you just pay for a license code, sometimes that you can only use a limited number of times. If you' re screwed after that number of uses you can usually ring up support for free and explain to get a new one.

Thing is I' ve never had any problems so I' ve only ever had to download once, and a price like £10-20 is easy to get over anyway if you did have any hassle.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 30 May 06 18:59:10 >
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 45

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread