Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Outstanding Graphics
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 56
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 12:24
I just got a PStwo slim and played SoulCalibur 3 - this game is so incredible on my 16:9 TV, that it puts every single game on my Xbox to shame.DoA? sure , Ninja Gaiden? yep.

Did you people see the boss level? - Now I' m not saying how music is unfuckinbelievable or how gameplay is improved - just graphics.

I mean I haven' t been that blown away this generation (maybe some parts of Metroid Prime or Splinter Cell - still not even close)

I mean just WOW.

I didn' t even want this game - I thought that it can' t be as good as SC2 on Xbox or DoA.But it is.

But seriously it' s PS2 -how is that even possible?

Namco rox :)

And why can' t xbox games have gorgeous musical score like Dragon Quest VIII? I mean gorgeous.They cost just as much but they seem cheap comparing to those Japanese blockbusters.

I sold My PS2 after MGS2 - and played Xbox games since then - now when all the good ones have been completed I decided to get PS2 and man I don' t care for next gen - I' ve got quality gaming for at least 6 months.

It' s what Japanese developers do - they shock you with polished and very high artistic values and tricks that make visual experience much better than the one allowed by specs.

I guess they really lack good FPP games ,and Racing games from X suit me better (Outrun 2 , Rallisport Challenge 2 and PGR2) but I now know why that system sold 100mln worldwide.

I' m just shocked but I bet you can tell by now :)
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 13:49
This comes from outstanding design which is what really amazes people not just graphical capabilities.
and Yes I was truly amazed.
This type of stuff is what i like about less powerful system.
design is better than effects.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 14:17
Ha, i find this quite amusing actually. I agree it does look nice, but perhaps you should have broadened your scope for a visually impressive fighing game. Tekken 5 is easily the best fighting game on PS2 and have some of the systems best visuals, and DoA Ultimate (the DoA2 remake) is probably the best looking fighter bar DoA4.

Soul Calibur 3 is a bad game. Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube was the best version of the franchise to date. SC3 has been made for PS3 and isn' t even in the arcades which is why it doesn' t feel right. It hasn' t had the kind of testing that makes arcade ports so successful in terms of gameplay. I know you' re not talking of gameplay, but it' s 10 times more important than pretty colours.

If you want a visually impressive game on PS2 then get Resident Evil 4. It almost looks as good as the Gamecube version and plays better too. Now that' s a good combination of great graphics and great gameplay!

Remember that next-gen systems will also have games of great design, along with pretty colours!

Ha, i love my PS2 but it' s dead as a dodo now. Just like Xbox. The only console with a valid 6 months is Gamecube and Twighlight Princess is out this next couple of months. I love my 360, although i binned Perfect Dark after completing it twice and deciding the multiplayer sucks too. Halo 2 is better. But Call of Duty 2 is fantastic in every aspect apart from online. Kameo and PGR3 are superb and Condemned is truly next-gen. With DoA4 out in the UK next week and Oblivion and Ghost Recon 3 following shortly after i' m definately happy about this new era of gaming. PS2 will soon become a retro console.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 14:22
Oh God you are so wrong. SC for the DC is the best in the series. And the best fighting game for the PS2 is Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution (Tekken sucks). The GC version of RE4 is better than the PS2 version because the aim works better thanks to the wonderful GC controller (but the extended story for the PS2 is worth playing). As long as Okami, Ryu Ga gotoku and other cool games hasn' t been released for the PS2 the PS2 isn' t dead. End of story.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 6 Jan 06 22:27:33 >
Nitro

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 14:56
PMSL! Ha ha ha...
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 14:58
Forgive my lack of knowledge but what does that mean? PMSL?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 6 Jan 06 23:01:40 >
Nitro

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 15:11
PML/PSML = Piss myself laughing. No offence though.

Virtua Fighter 4 FT was the best version of the game, and not available anywhere but Japan. It took them the original game and 2 remakes to get it right. I like VF but prefer Tekken 5, guess it comes down to preference.

I stand by all my comments, apart from the SC2 is better than SC. I just got my DC out and i' ll give you that one.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 15:18
Actually DOA Ultimate is not that good looking.

RE4 is an old game and I finished it on GameCube (and people say it' s much better looking than PS2 version)

SC2 looked best on Xbox.But GCN had Link so I wouldn' t really say it was better.

SC for DC was the best , then SC2 didn' t deliver ...but SC3 is way over my expectations for next SoulCalibur game.It' s almost next-gen and for me it' s the best SC or SB (SE in US) ever and everyone should at least check it.

I' d take Virtua Fighter over Tekken anytime - I stopped at T4 - at that time I really wanted play Doa2 on my DC much more or Doa 3 on Xbox.

I think that SC3 looks better than DoA4 - not technically more impresive but it just blows away cause the design is incredible and some true artists made it.DoA4 is just incredibly sharp and realistic where as SC3 is almost like SFX from Lord of The Rings (but not all levels - some are worse than SC2 Xbox version) :)

< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 10 Jan 06 13:45:42 >
Nitro

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 16:19
Not that good looking?! Perhaps you' re blind. Check out the Kiziko review and refresh your memory. It looks amazing!

SC3 looks nice for a PS2 game, but Tekken 5 still looks better!

RE4 obviously looks slightly better on GC since it' s a more powerful console and it' s what it was made for (the PS2 version is a port). But the differences are negligible (slightly muddy textures is all).

DoA3 sucked. Team Ninja even recognised that. DoA Ultimate beats it, and every other current gen fighter hands down. But i guess it bottles down to preference.

Tekken 4 was rubbish.

VF4 Evo was rubbish. VF4 Evo FT is a much superior game. VF5 looks amazing!

DoA4 is the best looking fighter on release, and runs at a constant 60fps and in it' s native 1080i.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 06, 2006 17:03
ok guys calm down

just take word from experts like me

soul calibur 3 is indeed the best soul calibur ever, give me one single reason why shoud i pick up the DC version, i' m not a fool , come on be honest guys, SC3 is better in graphics, have better modes more characters and more importantly the same gameplay experience at least + a better controler than the dreamcast ... i think that should make it the best .

Gangsta, i think you' re overhyping SC3 graphics, sure it looks fantastic for a ps2, but dude don' t dare compare it to DOA4, even tekken 5 looks a bit better, i own both games and i can clearly see the difference..

for resident evil 4, i own the game as well and and and and what can i say, i have never played the cube version, although if the cutscenes that are in the PS2 version are taken from the in game graphics in gamecube , then sure there is a noticeable difference in graphics and not a slight... i hate when graphics go down after the cut scenes, and i hate this trick that developers start doing . they did that in halo 2 and some other games . no more that pelase but i can forgive capcom since the game is still looking freaking awesome.

]GaNgStA[

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 04:16
RE4 is significantly better looking on GCN that' s a fact

I don' t care for reviews I uncovered 100% of DOA ultimate and some levels looked great and some not and the characters are getting old now.

And DoA3 is much better than DOAU - air throws and moves.The only thing DOAU has is Online play

I don' t know about overhyping SC3 but it really rox for any kind of hardware - I had an Xbox for the last 2 years and it was my main gaming machine - I' ve finished all the good and great games on it.
Tekken 5 didn' t have that kind of impact on me , but some levels of SC3 just ...daaamn :)

About DoA4 yes It is next gen and sharp and realistic but the characters are only slightly improved and it looks strange plus the characters animation isn' t that awesome.SC3 really made me feel like playing a Fantasy Movie and I' m simply amazed.

I say this from a normal man' s perspective not technically speaking.It does look incredible.(there are a few levels that don' t deliver that kind of quality , but the boss level and a few others are insane)

< Message edited by ]gangsta[ -- 7 Jan 06 12:18:27 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 04:24
Something must be extremely wrong with my super high end HDTV and my PS2 and component cables, because the great graphics seem to be missing from my version. Sure, they look nice, but they never impressed me beyond " looks like a PS2 game" . Keep in mind that not only am I running the game in widescreen, but in progressive scan as well. Hell, I don' t even REMEMBER the last boss graphiccs, and I beat the game many many times. I do remember that I always had to fight Sigfried or some other dingleberry right before him, though. I also remember having to dodge the damned clock gear EVERY SINGLE TIME I played the game when that one dude knocked it towards me at the beginning of the 3rd stage or so. I also remember some jaggies. Not sharp. Jagged.

Soul Calibur 3 looks nice, but certainly doesn' t sound as good as the DC version. Soul Calibur 2 on the Xbox looks better, especially when played in HD (720p). Kicks the hell outta the Gamecube version.

And yes, for a PS2 game Tekken 5 looks MUCH better. I mean WOW, that' s pretty damn good... for a PS2 (which typically produces insanely non-memorable graphics).
]GaNgStA[

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 05:20
Doeasn' t sound as good as DC version? DC had the worst quality sound in the series - SoulEdge was better - those " tunes" in DC version where nice but kind of flat.

SC3 impressed me much more than any other game lately - I guess it' s just me (or maybe I got a PS3 by mistake hehe) but I don' t agree - SC2 for Xbox looks worse (characters and levels , with some exceptions) even if it is a bit sharper.I wish they made SC3 for X with all the hardware benefits but it still is the best looking game I' ve played lately on any system.(plus HD TV' s display SDTV formats terrible I' ve heard)

Design over power that' s what it is
< Message edited by ]Gangsta[ -- 10 Jan 06 13:50:49 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 06:10
oh this thread has got me moist for my Jap DC, when I was working at Sony before the PS2 dev kits were even out we were playing SC on our lunch breaks.. I remember when the ps2 version came out they all prefered the DC version.

I cant comment on the later ones, but the DC for a 200mhz console at that time was years a head of anything available - and by leaving mine running on a widescreen in a shop window I took the most preorders for the UK DC in the UK! So I got a special retailers edition one from from Sega. Those were the days.... Oh 1999 where have you gone!
Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 08:17

Something must be extremely wrong with my super high end HDTV

SC3 on a PS2 in progressive scan (480p) using component to VGA and then displayed on a Naomi arcade monitor, now that looks great. Far better than those fixed panel LCD or Plasma which ruin the image via upscanning.

What HDTV are you using because nothing I' ve seen compares to the set up mentioned above.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 7 Jan 06 16:18:32 >
Nitro

RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 09:28

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

Something must be extremely wrong with my super high end HDTV and my PS2 and component cables, because the great graphics seem to be missing from my version. Sure, they look nice, but they never impressed me beyond " looks like a PS2 game" . Keep in mind that not only am I running the game in widescreen, but in progressive scan as well. Hell, I don' t even REMEMBER the last boss graphiccs, and I beat the game many many times. I do remember that I always had to fight Sigfried or some other dingleberry right before him, though. I also remember having to dodge the damned clock gear EVERY SINGLE TIME I played the game when that one dude knocked it towards me at the beginning of the 3rd stage or so. I also remember some jaggies. Not sharp. Jagged.

Soul Calibur 3 looks nice, but certainly doesn' t sound as good as the DC version. Soul Calibur 2 on the Xbox looks better, especially when played in HD (720p). Kicks the hell outta the Gamecube version.

And yes, for a PS2 game Tekken 5 looks MUCH better. I mean WOW, that' s pretty damn good... for a PS2 (which typically produces insanely non-memorable graphics).

Precisely. I tried but couldn' t say it better than my man Joe.

Ok ]GaNgStA[, while you may not care for the reviews, it doesn' t stop them being right. It isn' t a well tuned fighter, mainly due to not having an arcade background like the previous incarnations. It' s new modes are fairly unimpressive and there are both better looking and more playable beat-em-ups out there.

DoA3 was a disappointment in the long term, but a great launch title for Xbox. It was waaay too easy to pull off counters and Ultimate is just more well rounded and much better looking.

I got DoA4 and Ridge Racer 6 the other day, and DoA4 is amazing. It' s actually harder to pull of the more powerful counters and special moves. It' ll never be as complex as VF, or as rubust as Tekken, but at the moment it' s the best there is.

Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 11:53

]GaNgStA[ SoulCalibur 3 - this game is so incredible on my 16:9 TV, that it puts every single game on my Xbox to shame.DoA? sure , Ninja Gaiden? yep

...that' s some potent ganja ure smoking dude....

]GaNgStA[ and why can' t xbox games have gorgeous musical score like Dragon Quest VIII?

...Halo...

Majikdra6on If you want a visually impressive game on PS2 then get Resident Evil 4. It almost looks as good as the Gamecube version and plays better too. Now that' s a good combination of great graphics and great gameplay!

..hell yeah!..

]GaNgStA[ And DoA3 is much better than DOAU - air throws and moves.The only thing DOAU has is Online play

...agreed. ... plus ultimate has glitches (inconsistent throw detection for example).... .... gameplay wise, it felt retarded compared to DOA3...
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 12:13
Random Comments in no particular order:

- Music-wise, the BEST theme out of all of the Soul fighting games to me was Knightmare' s theme in the original Soul Calibur (Dreamcast). I have that sucker recorded to mini-disc and listen to it quite often.. 2nd to that would be 2 themes from the original Soul Edge. Those are the only ones I found to be memorable from the series...

- I' ve always hated weapons-based fighters like the Samurai Showdown and Soul Calibur games, I MUCH prefer hand-to-hand combat, but even so, I found Soul Calibur 3 to be a more challenging game than its predecessors. I didn' t find it to be as button-mashing friendly as the previous games. You can still button mash but the AI seems to be a bit smarter this time around.

- As for Dead or Alive 3, no doubt that the game looked great! But until I play Dead or Alive 4, the high point of the series will still be Dead or Alive 2 to me. Dead or Alive 3 just felt a tad bit uninspired to me. I didn' t feel any kind of excitement while playing it. I beat it once and never bothered with it again. Part 2 is a game I have lots of love for and could always look forward to kicking fools down 90 flights of stairs or through stained glass windows 3 stories high!

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 13:18
gangsta always makes posts claiming some random PS2 game has better graphics than an xbox game. This guy is retarded. I remember he claimed GT4 had better graphics than PGR2. Why do you lie to everyone? Anyone who has played both realises you are a complete moron. SC3 has better graphics than DOA3 or DOA2U? LMFAO you are a dumbass. PS2 has inferior graphics to xbox. Stop lying to yourself and everyone else.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Outstanding Graphics - Jan 07, 2006 14:07
locopuyo, you' re not completely right about PGR2 vs GT4, if you' re talking about tracks then most probably PGR2 is a winner but about the cars GT4 beats its ass even forza' s cars, no doubt , and i own all those games.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 56

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message