Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 50
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 07:50
Kinda.

Sony needs Blu-Ray to be successful, everybody knows that. It' s failure could potentially cripple the company thus directly affecting PS3.

Well Warner Home Video has become the first studio to release films on both formats and highdefdigest.com have put together a direct comparison for the 3 releases. Find it HERE and notice that in each case HD-DVD comes out ahead. Maybe not by a massive margin but whether it' s by an inch or by a mile...

The question that needs to be asked is that since both Blu-Ray players and the movies themselves have a higher pricetag than their HD-DVD counterparts, what makes Blu-Ray worth it?!

dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 07:54

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

The question that needs to be asked is that since both Blu-Ray players and the movies themselves have a higher pricetag than their HD-DVD counterparts, what makes Blu-Ray worth it?!

Because the' ve got loooooooooads of space seems to be the common argument.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:02
DIE SONY DIE!!!

hehe
dasher232

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:03
Lol a bit harsh.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:07
i heard that LG, original supporters of blu-ray who decided against their bd-only player in favour of a dual format player, recently dropped it in favour of (again) a bd rom - only player.

So it doesn' t seem all to bleak for the format.
dasher232

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:10
I was hoping phillips would jump to the hd-dvd idea because I think they make the best stuff.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:20
Blue is cheaper though, i seen comparsion shots from a store, with br and hddvd dvds and hd was dearer.

And i think the 1 minute load up for hd-dvd players is just ridiculous.
uumai

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:22
Well it' s a shock on the reviews especially with the lack of space on the bd for the dolby plus tracks... Certain other things could i suppose be put down to hardware, eg the player he was using, but that is a maybe indeed.

Interestingly, at the bottom of the jennifer anniston film review, not sure about the others but its a $5 cheaper list price for the BD movie... interesting.. Wonder why they cropped the video though...?

Nice link Majik
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:26
My parents would ask for HD-DVD' s not something named blu-ray,they never heard about HD-DVD or blu-ray but when they know next gen dvd players are out that play dvd in HD they gonna ask for a HD-DVD player.

Best name for people who knows nothing.
Nitro

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:30

Blue is cheaper though, i seen comparsion shots from a store, with br and hddvd dvds and hd was dearer.

The Walmart article from Kotaku?! It was bullshit. Check out the Walmart website. Some titles are more expensive than others for both formats but Blu-Ray is in general more expensive.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:33
i dont know, its too early to declare a winner, hell I think some new movies filmed in proper hd have to come, and untill we have units that are bugless and work well, which is in 2 years, we cant decide.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 3 Aug 06 0:45:50 >
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:47

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

DIE SONY DIE!!!

hehe

Think of the children!

I thought this was an old thread because UUmai posted, where ya been?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:48
I hope Sony wins this because I feel sorry for them. They' ve tried with new formats so many times but have kept failing. Maybe they' ll stop trying so hard if they at least get it right once.
And they also need money to keep the PlayStation brand going.
I mean as a gamer you really should support the Blu-ray since it' s the only format that a videogame company can profit from.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:00

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

I hope Sony wins this because I feel sorry for them. They' ve tried with new formats so many times but have kept failing. Maybe they' ll stop trying so hard if they at least get it right once.
And they also need money to keep the PlayStation brand going.
I mean as a gamer you really should support the Blu-ray since it' s the only format that a videogame company can profit from.

Oh go cry me a river.

Wiiboy, Wiiboy!
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:09
Blueray' s space is ridiculous... supposedly up to 200GB, while HDVD' s largest is 50GB.

I dont see movies taking that much space, even 50GB....
uumai

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:32
Thanks for your thoughts Tiz, I' ve been around reading posts here silently, but not found anything i wanted to post on... and been busy for a while too.

I really hope blu-ray is the winning format. Right now i' m still more likely to purchase a ps3 over everything else (given limited funds otherwise or in future i' ll get all 3 most likely) and as such i will have a hd movie player. Honestly i wouldn' t bother with one otherwise, and wouldn' t buy a seperate player for the films. With ps2 the only reason i have a standalone dvd player is because it was free.

I should wear glasses but don' t much at all, so the quality difference wont be that great to me... and my eyes are great for sony consoles.. my eyes naturally apply AA to their games so i don' t get much shimmer without glasses.

I think that silent is right though, until we get films shot in HD and with bugless player, a true ' winner' can' t be drawn.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:35

I should wear glasses but don' t much at all, so the quality difference wont be that great to me... and my eyes are great for sony consoles.. my eyes naturally apply AA to their games so i don' t get much shimmer without glasses.

Same here.
But why don' t you wear glasses?
uumai

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:38
just lazy, keep them in the case in a cupboard that is just too much hassle.. they basically just make things sharper, i use them to read now and again, (currently for ' IT' as the print in the book i have is pretty small so the sharpness helps a bit)

Generally though when i have a class and i need to see the board, i' ll wear them to not give myself headache straining my eyes.
Nitro

RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 10:30
Y' know if it had been the other way around people would be reading all kinds f shit into it.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 12:07

Because the' ve got loooooooooads of space seems to be the common argument.

Plus that also could be the player blue ray has way more space than hd-dvd for hd content you should go for as much space ass possible . blue will win if hd dvd dosent make room for more space

but to say hd-dvd owned blue is speaking a littile to early to me but well see soon very soon right now blue ray seems to be moving fast havent heard much about hd-dvd players expect there price tags but well see what will happen
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 50

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message