Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 50
Nitro
  • Total Posts : 11960
  • Reward points : 44065
Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 07:50
Kinda.

Sony needs Blu-Ray to be successful, everybody knows that. It' s failure could potentially cripple the company thus directly affecting PS3.

Well Warner Home Video has become the first studio to release films on both formats and highdefdigest.com have put together a direct comparison for the 3 releases. Find it HERE and notice that in each case HD-DVD comes out ahead. Maybe not by a massive margin but whether it' s by an inch or by a mile...

The question that needs to be asked is that since both Blu-Ray players and the movies themselves have a higher pricetag than their HD-DVD counterparts, what makes Blu-Ray worth it?!

dasher232
  • Total Posts : 1729
  • Reward points : 0
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 07:54

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

The question that needs to be asked is that since both Blu-Ray players and the movies themselves have a higher pricetag than their HD-DVD counterparts, what makes Blu-Ray worth it?!

Because the' ve got loooooooooads of space seems to be the common argument.

Vx Chemical
  • Total Posts : 5534
  • Reward points : 6695
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:02
DIE SONY DIE!!!

hehe

dasher232
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:03
Lol a bit harsh.

uumai
  • Total Posts : 1363
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:07
i heard that LG, original supporters of blu-ray who decided against their bd-only player in favour of a dual format player, recently dropped it in favour of (again) a bd rom - only player.

So it doesn' t seem all to bleak for the format.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

dasher232
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:10
I was hoping phillips would jump to the hd-dvd idea because I think they make the best stuff.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:20
Blue is cheaper though, i seen comparsion shots from a store, with br and hddvd dvds and hd was dearer.

And i think the 1 minute load up for hd-dvd players is just ridiculous.
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

uumai
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:22
Well it' s a shock on the reviews especially with the lack of space on the bd for the dolby plus tracks... Certain other things could i suppose be put down to hardware, eg the player he was using, but that is a maybe indeed.

Interestingly, at the bottom of the jennifer anniston film review, not sure about the others but its a $5 cheaper list price for the BD movie... interesting.. Wonder why they cropped the video though...?

Nice link Majik
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

QuezcatoL
  • Total Posts : 7059
  • Reward points : 4645
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:26
My parents would ask for HD-DVD' s not something named blu-ray,they never heard about HD-DVD or blu-ray but when they know next gen dvd players are out that play dvd in HD they gonna ask for a HD-DVD player.

Best name for people who knows nothing.
Even if you break 2 legs from a crab it still runs!
What you gotta do is find its weak spot and do massive damage at it.

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:30

Blue is cheaper though, i seen comparsion shots from a store, with br and hddvd dvds and hd was dearer.

The Walmart article from Kotaku?! It was bullshit. Check out the Walmart website. Some titles are more expensive than others for both formats but Blu-Ray is in general more expensive.

Silentbomber
  • Total Posts : 4673
  • Reward points : 44970
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:33
i dont know, its too early to declare a winner, hell I think some new movies filmed in proper hd have to come, and untill we have units that are bugless and work well, which is in 2 years, we cant decide.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 3 Aug 06 0:45:50 >
Change is inevitable. Except from a vending machine.

Viva La Revolution! erm, I mean Viva La Wii!

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:47

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

DIE SONY DIE!!!

hehe

Think of the children!

I thought this was an old thread because UUmai posted, where ya been?
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

ginjirou
  • Total Posts : 4836
  • Reward points : 16545
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 08:48
I hope Sony wins this because I feel sorry for them. They' ve tried with new formats so many times but have kept failing. Maybe they' ll stop trying so hard if they at least get it right once.
And they also need money to keep the PlayStation brand going.
I mean as a gamer you really should support the Blu-ray since it' s the only format that a videogame company can profit from.

Tiz
  • Total Posts : 3158
  • Reward points : 10675
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:00

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

I hope Sony wins this because I feel sorry for them. They' ve tried with new formats so many times but have kept failing. Maybe they' ll stop trying so hard if they at least get it right once.
And they also need money to keep the PlayStation brand going.
I mean as a gamer you really should support the Blu-ray since it' s the only format that a videogame company can profit from.

Oh go cry me a river.

Wiiboy, Wiiboy!
There are two rules to success:

1. Never tell all you know.

Evil Man
  • Total Posts : 1441
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:09
Blueray' s space is ridiculous... supposedly up to 200GB, while HDVD' s largest is 50GB.

I dont see movies taking that much space, even 50GB....

uumai
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:32
Thanks for your thoughts Tiz, I' ve been around reading posts here silently, but not found anything i wanted to post on... and been busy for a while too.

I really hope blu-ray is the winning format. Right now i' m still more likely to purchase a ps3 over everything else (given limited funds otherwise or in future i' ll get all 3 most likely) and as such i will have a hd movie player. Honestly i wouldn' t bother with one otherwise, and wouldn' t buy a seperate player for the films. With ps2 the only reason i have a standalone dvd player is because it was free.

I should wear glasses but don' t much at all, so the quality difference wont be that great to me... and my eyes are great for sony consoles.. my eyes naturally apply AA to their games so i don' t get much shimmer without glasses.

I think that silent is right though, until we get films shot in HD and with bugless player, a true ' winner' can' t be drawn.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

ginjirou
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:35

I should wear glasses but don' t much at all, so the quality difference wont be that great to me... and my eyes are great for sony consoles.. my eyes naturally apply AA to their games so i don' t get much shimmer without glasses.

Same here.
But why don' t you wear glasses?

uumai
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 09:38
just lazy, keep them in the case in a cupboard that is just too much hassle.. they basically just make things sharper, i use them to read now and again, (currently for ' IT' as the print in the book i have is pretty small so the sharpness helps a bit)

Generally though when i have a class and i need to see the board, i' ll wear them to not give myself headache straining my eyes.
NiGHTS into Dreamcast

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 10:30
Y' know if it had been the other way around people would be reading all kinds f shit into it.

mikayd2
  • Total Posts : 1129
  • Reward points : 13085
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 12:07

Because the' ve got loooooooooads of space seems to be the common argument.

Plus that also could be the player blue ray has way more space than hd-dvd for hd content you should go for as much space ass possible . blue will win if hd dvd dosent make room for more space

but to say hd-dvd owned blue is speaking a littile to early to me but well see soon very soon right now blue ray seems to be moving fast havent heard much about hd-dvd players expect there price tags but well see what will happen

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 12:19

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

i dont know, its too early to declare a winner, hell I think some new movies filmed in proper hd have to come, and untill we have units that are bugless and work well, which is in 2 years, we cant decide.

Movies are filmed on " film" , which means that they have a higher " resolution" than the highest HD format.

You' re right about it being too early to declare a winner, though. I would like to see Sony FINALLY come out with a proprietary format that actually succeeds. I like the fact that their Blu-ray discs have such a high capacity (even if it is all in lab, so far, as they haven' t produced a multi-layer disc commercially yet.) Is all that capacity necessary? Maybe not now, but in the future it will be. We' ll ALWAYS need more space!

As for me, I just ordered three HD-DVDs from Amazon.com. I got The Last Samurai, Chronicles of Riddick, and Sleepy Hollow. I was gonna get Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, but it' s $29.99 on their site, and only $22.49 on DVD Empire. I figured I' d start ordering movies now, as they have a promotion where if you buy three HD movies (either HD-DVD or Blu-ray) you get 10% off HD movie purchases for a year! I' m gonna go buy an HD-DVD player, and take it back in 30 days (shady, I know, but what the hell!)

Dionysius
  • Total Posts : 831
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 17:41
Hey somebody try to sell me a Blue-Ray and somebody else a HD-DVD, now I' ll pretend I now little, almost nothing about the +/- points of either (which sadly isn' t far from the truth) and act as as costumer.

Ahem!

" Hey, um... So I wanna by one of them new players... Um... yeah, so I heard Blue-Ray was better... but they say HD-DVD is cheaper... Um, yeah... Um... So which should I get??? Um... yeah..."
< Message edited by dionysius -- 3 Aug 06 9:43:55 >

dasher232
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 18:33
On the blue-ray official site they don' t seem to really sell it to you and when you go to toshibas they really look like they' ve put thought into it. That said I really like the blue-ray logo and how it looks on the players....

Gaiden BLACK
  • Total Posts : 675
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 20:20
NEXT GEN star WARS ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Rest in PEACE Cetra and GANGSTA you guys will be missed..........

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 20:58
Sony' s decision to use an ancient and inferior video codec for moviews so far is the reason for the difference in picture quality. Most people are putting it down to shoddy transfer work but that' s bullshit. Sony want the best quality possible because if they underperform and get slated studios will back away and release on HD-DVD.

People go on about the storage size and how it' s double what Toshiba have managed with HD-DVD but as Chee Saw noted Sony hasn' t released a multi-layer disc yet so right now Toshiba' s dual layer 30GB HD-DVD provides more space than Sony' s single layer 25GB Blu-Ray and when Sony DO release a dual layer disc Toshiba will have finished their triple layer 45GB discs.

The huge storage space however isn' t needed for things like movies and i' m yet to be convinced there will be a need for it this generation for games. The storage battle will be fought between the DVD recorders and writers.

Chee Saw
  • Total Posts : 1466
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 03, 2006 21:58

ORIGINAL: Dionysius

" Hey, um... So I wanna by one of them new players... Um... yeah, so I heard Blue-Ray was better... but they say HD-DVD is cheaper... Um, yeah... Um... So which should I get??? Um... yeah..."

I think the smart decision, right at this very moment, would be HD-DVD. It costs a LOT less, and if you already have an Xbox 360, then it' ll be even cheaper once they release the add-on.

Other than price, it' s all about personal preference. If Blu-ray has more movies that you like, that might be a better option. It' s kinda scary that the reviews I' ve been reading and hearing are saying that the Blu-ray picture isn' t as good as HD-DVD, but I can' t speak about than from personal experience. It' s probably something to do with the codec that they have to use since Microsoft abandoned them! MS never get enough credit for their audio and video compression codecs. WMA and VC1 RULE!!

Bishonen
  • Total Posts : 1718
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 01:46
Currently accepting Article & Review requests

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 03:37
Blu-Ray has always been doomed.

Game Junkie
  • Total Posts : 708
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 04:43
Who cares HD-DVD and BR-Ray are both going to get trampled once Holographic disc become affordable. I' m talking about over 1000 GB discs, with data transfer rates that are equally impressive.
< Message edited by Game Junkie -- 3 Aug 06 20:44:11 >

ginjirou
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 06:24
What are you going to use 1000 GB for?
If those holographic discs become affordable, HD-DVD or Blu-ray will be even cheaper.

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 06:25
And yet DVD will become even cheaper because of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray...

ginjirou
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 06:27
Yeah but it seems we require more space than what the DVD' s offer.
Some day we' ll need more than what HD-DVD and Blu-ray can offer but... 1000 GB?

Dionysius
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 06:38
So on a completely unrelated/related subject, doesn' t 360 get a price tag about as big as the Ps3' s, if you wish to buy the add on HD-DVD?

...Not sure though.

dasher232
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 06:57

ORIGINAL: Dionysius

So on a completely unrelated/related subject, doesn' t 360 get a price tag about as big as the Ps3' s, if you wish to buy the add on HD-DVD?

...Not sure though.

I wouldn' t think so given their supposed $100 production reduction, that alone gives them leverage to bundle the add-on with it, without loosing too much. I think that' s maybe why no price cut is coming because they might add that to it.

]GaNgStA[
  • Total Posts : 2949
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 08:31
if PS3 will upscale DVD' s to HD (like every Blue-ray player), then it has big advantage over 360.

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 09:43

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

if PS3 will upscale DVD' s to HD (like every Blue-ray player), then it has big advantage over 360.

Except that 360 upscales DVD' s already. Only if you' re using VGA cables though as it' s against dvd licensing agreements to output upscaled comercial DVD' s over " unprotected" component outputs.

Still, if you' re using the VGA cables your DVD' s will display in whatever resolution you have the 360 set to.

Game Junkie
  • Total Posts : 708
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 12:17
Upscalling only means that the pixels that the 360 outputs fits into the pixels of the screen. You' re still not outputting as much information (quality) as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Byakko
  • Total Posts : 599
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 13:15
I was thinking. Would the difficulty of pirating either Blu-Ray/HD-DVD play a major role? With the whole focus on software-protection lately, I think it could be a major advantage for either format; if there really is a pronounced difference.

Nitro
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 17:59

ORIGINAL: Game Junkie

Upscalling only means that the pixels that the 360 outputs fits into the pixels of the screen. You' re still not outputting as much information (quality) as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

Granted but it still looks sharper than standard DVD and won' t 360' s external HD-DVD drive be capable of the same as the Blu-Ray drive in PS3???

Dionysius
RE: Blu-Ray gets owned by HD-DVD - Aug 04, 2006 18:06

wouldn' t think so given their supposed $100 production reduction, that alone gives them leverage to bundle the add-on with it, without loosing too much. I think that' s maybe why no price cut is coming because they might add that to it.

I see.

I was thinking. Would the difficulty of pirating either Blu-Ray/HD-DVD play a major role? With the whole focus on software-protection lately, I think it could be a major advantage for either format; if there really is a pronounced difference.

If so, then the format with the least protection will win the peoples hearts, and Piratebay' s support. Also, I believe I read somewhere (a long time ago), that the Blue-Ray had better Copy-protection, which was one of the reasons, many big film industries got interested in it.

Personally I' m rooting for Blue-Ray, only because I find the idea of a " Blue" laser so very awesome!
< Message edited by dionysius -- 4 Aug 06 10:09:54 >

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 40 of 50