Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Game Case Comparison
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 26 of 26
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Game Case Comparison - Nov 13, 2006 03:00

It' s sad to see the game box turn into something of a lost art. In a lot of ways, I think bigger is better.

Personally, the ONLY time I think that' s true, where game cases are concerned, is when there are some limited edition goodies to be had with the games. I don' t mind bulkier CD jewel cases in those cases, and Japanese Dreamcast games were awesome examples of beautiful box art and compact design..

DVD game cases on the other hand, I honestly don' t like them or see the point to them given the more compact alternative. The absolute worst had to be the U.S. Sega Saturn game boxes. Those things were bulky as hell and a sharp contract to the slim, compact Japanese Saturn game cases!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 12 Nov 06 19:02:58 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Game Case Comparison - Nov 13, 2006 03:18
I hated those 32 bit era plastic excuses for game cases, the dvd cases dont break aftyer two days and are much nicer to look at in my humble opinion.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 12 Nov 06 19:18:47 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Game Case Comparison - Nov 13, 2006 06:14

I hated those 32 bit era plastic excuses for game cases, the dvd cases dont break aftyer two days and are much nicer to look at in my humble opinion.

exactly
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Game Case Comparison - Nov 13, 2006 06:39
I like the blu-ray box,
i don' t see why sony went with a clear coloured cases and an empty top, looks kinda bad... I' d prefer it blue at least like the blu-ray films.

I agree though, the smaller the better, generally once my games collection gets to a certain size, i just put the cases away somewhere and use a cd wallet - have done since dreamcast. Lets face it to have a selection of consoles and large selection of games for them takes too much space.
I guess for me, this is the best advantage of digital distribution.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Game Case Comparison - Nov 13, 2006 07:03

Lets face it to have a selection of consoles and large selection of games for them takes too much space.

Exact-a-mundo.. Not only were the CD jewel cases much more aesthetically pleasing to me but they took up a lot less shelf space. My import Saturn and Dreamcast game collection take up a lot less shelf space than my PS2, Xbox, GameCube, and U.S. Saturn games.

And while the CD jewel cases breaking/cracking were a tad bit annoying at times, fortunately those things were a dime a dozen and could easily be replaced by other unused jewel cases I used for spare parts, so no harm no foul there.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 12 Nov 06 23:05:44 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Game Case Comparison - Nov 13, 2006 08:38
The US Sega CD game cases were the BEST EVAR! They were giant, huge, and enormous... all at the same time! Musician Spencer Nilsen designed them (I assume this is true because the first Sega CD game to come in those cases was Ecco the Dolphin, which Spencer did the music for). Even better were the Sega CD game cases before those. OH WOW they were so awesome! A giant paper box (Sega of America loved paper boxes because paper KICKS ASS) with a blank CD jewel case inside containing the game with monotone disc labels and the instruction manual just dropped inside of the paper box, and it wouldn' t fit inside the CD jewel case.

No wonder Sega failed.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 26 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread