Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this?
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 58 of 58
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 25, 2006 20:15
I suppose CD' s would' ve been enough for the last generation but DVD' s came quite in handy...
The Dreamcast had CD' s and it didn' t do so well. The PS2, which didn' t have much better graphics, used DVD' s to its advantage.
The 360 VS PS3 could be the DC vs PS2.
The 360 is great, just as the DC was.
I guess we' ll just to wait and see.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 25, 2006 20:19
I do think its premature force blu-ray, DVD should be enough, on the other hand i dont want to miss stuff, and HD cgi does have a considerate size!
ginjirou

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 25, 2006 20:21
Final Fantasy XIII on the 360? I doubt it with all those environments and HD CGI. Multiple language audio options should be available too.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 25, 2006 20:29

The Dreamcast had CD' s

No it didn' t. Dreamcast used SEGA' s own GD-ROMS which could hold 1.2Gb.

Dreamcast didn' t do very well because after the Mega CD and Saturn failures SEGA wasn' t seen as marketable by publishers even though developers prefered it.
ginjirou

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 25, 2006 20:35
Oh yeah now that you mention it, the DC didn' t use CD' s. Sorry about that.
Still, the storage capability is still comparable.
I didn' t mean that the DC failed because of the lack of DVD-drive, but it sure wasn' t helping it. The PS2' s DVD-drive was one of the things that made the PS2 do so well.
Except for the price, I can' t see anything negative with a Blu-ray drive. Maybe they won' t need that much space, I don' t know, but it sure as hell can' t hurt. And since you' ll be able to see movies in HD on it it' s simply a great thing. Not that I care for HD movies right now, but I would be happy to know that I' ve bought a safe product in case I change my mind in the future.
Again, except for the price, the Blu-ray is a good thing. But even thought the Blu-ray makes the PS3 cost more, it' s as valuable as the 360.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 25 Aug 06 12:40:18 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 25, 2006 22:54
Dreamcast failed becuase the Sony Hype machine was in full gear.

Emotion Engine my ass.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 25 Aug 06 14:54:16 >
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 00:08

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber
Emotion Engine my ass.

Dunno about that, it bring many emotions to people. Seems everyone has anger and hatred from it, makes some people laugh, and some people cry. I' d say that' s good enough, wouldn' t you?
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 04:52
Hmmm, yeah true.

I wonder how the ps3' s ' Reality Synthesizer' works...
uumai

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 05:00

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

Hmmm, yeah true.

Ok now you got me there....
Nitro

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 05:20

The machine breathes in reality through the 10 million vent holes and erm, synthesises it. Probably.
whiteguysamurai

• Total Posts : 316
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 06:44
I do expect a price drop on the xbox 360 though.

uumai

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 07:11
Well in uk according to majik, it already has... but i expect, like most, bundles rather than a price drop. When do you expect one samurai? Christmas sort of time?
Nitro

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 09:16

ORIGINAL: uumai

Well in uk according to majik, it already has... but i expect, like most, bundles rather than a price drop. When do you expect one samurai? Christmas sort of time?

How about around early November, just 2 or so weeks before Sony ' s launch.
uumai

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 09:29
thing is they are already well positioned as the cheaper console against ps3. with about £145 (give or take) cheaper than ps3 in uk. especially as it seems we wont be getting a core system at launch
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 11:47

but I would be happy to know that I' ve bought a safe product in case I change my mind in the future.

Unless Blu-Ray tanks.

From a marketing and buisness perspective, it was a daring choice for Sony, a real gamble, they' re throwing the success of their console on one of their own media formats, again. (remember UMD movies boys and girls? No, they weren' t just stories told by parents to scare their children, they were real at some point.) You' d think they' d look at all the format wars they' ve lost.

-MiniDisk

-MMCD (Multimedia Compact Disk)

-HiFD (High capacity Floppy Disk)

-UMD

-SDDS (Sony Dynamic Digital Sound)

-ATRAC/ATRAC3 sound compression systems

-Betamax tapes

The only major success Sony had with formats was the 3.5 floppy, and by the time that was established as the standard format, it was on the brink of being superceded by the CD. I' ve got no clue why they' re confident with this format right now.
< Message edited by Eddie_the_Hated -- 26 Aug 06 3:48:24 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 13:26
Most of those " failures" though are just because the technology was stupid. There was no need for things like minidiscs or UMDs they werent ever necesary.

A new format is necesary for HD movies and it' s asinine to want bluray to fail and have a shittier format be dominant just because you' re a jealouse nintendo/microsoft fanboy.

The only concern I had with bluray was movies being much more expensive... but now we see bluray movies going for like $5 more at most than HD DVDs... thats not expensive. Just go to amazon.com you can buy almost and Bluray or HD-DVD movie for $19.99, both of them are equally cheap so if its going to cost me the same in the end I prefer the superior format which is bluray.

Maybe you european fucks will get charged $40 per movie but I' m speaking for myself that Im content with the price of bluray movies. I also understand that to some of you this isn' t really a concern but it is for millions in the civilized world (USA) I *NEED* a high-def format so I can play movies in high def on my HDTVs, its not something that I want, I need it.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 26 Aug 06 5:43:41 >
ginjirou

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 26, 2006 16:51
MiniDiscs would' ve been the perfect format if it hadn' t been for mp3. I think that Sony didn' t see how big mp3 would become. Still, many people like Minidisc for its high quality sound. I like them because they look cool.
Also, the UMD' s are basically Minidiscs so they might as well count as a single format.
Sony' s Memory Sticks are doing fine, even though it' s not a standard format.
It' s not stupid to try and make a standard format but it' s risky bussiness due to the high development costs.
That' s why Sony is using the PS3 to spread the Blu-ray and even though I dislike the high price of the console I do understand their strategy and I find the PS3 very valuable if you really want a future proof HD-console.
I' m sure there are other companies that have tried and failed with formats too. Just not as many times as Sony.
Personally I believe both HD-DVD and Blu-ray will be good enough to satisfy our needs but I' d prefer a Blu-ray victory, because then Sony can invest more in their future videogame projects.
But whatever, even though UMD or Blu-ray doesn' t become popular or standard they still have the potential to deliver more content on their respective consoles compared to their competitors.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 26 Aug 06 9:19:18 >
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 Price cut - when should you expect this? - Aug 27, 2006 01:06

civilized world (USA)

That made me laugh! thanks Evil Man
Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 41 to 58 of 58

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages