Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 the dumbest things in video games
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 32 of 32
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 07:51

what i find " extremly" stupid about shenmue is its game design somehow, you keep looking from one person to another, how the hell can you have fun with that guys? yeah i enjoyed the game, i liked it, but that' s for the cutscenes , the graphics , the story , the fighting somehow and BASTA, the gameplay sucks , it reaches to a point where it gets really rediculous, they ask u to go to somewhere to find a man but you certainly know he won' t be there, and that' s after a very long search from again one npc to another .... one word SUCKS.

...Please... get out and DIE
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 08:14
I can' t understand why he would think shenmue ' SUCKS' maybe thats me being a big fan or something but shenmue' s game design is far from stupid. You probably bought the game thinking it had lots of guns and guys with big chests and flashy cars with hoe' s on the bonnet. But how the hell was the game design ' stupid' ? you learnt as you went along with the character bits of information that made a bigger picture resulting in you understanding the characters and story a lot more. But I guess you missed that bit and just wandered freely and forgot what it was about or what you were meant to be doing apart from smacking bitches, gunning down gansters and stealing cars next time try gta...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 09:01
i don' t like GTA, and I Don' t know why, wait i really liked vice city , the one i didn' t like is san andreas... anyway , some peopel gave it a high score because it has so many revolutionary ideas and concepts , those however end to be boring in the long run, if you didn' t well may be you didn' t play some very interesting games.

ign gave it 9.7
gamespy 8.5
gamespot gave it 7.8

somebody is wrong here and i know which one... the same peopel who gave GTA 9.9 and jade empire 9.9.

for me shenmue is defintly not an AAA title period. and you guys talk about it like it' s a freaking AAAA title.

hey i love adventure games, have you played indigo prophecy (farenheit ) this game is awesome and much more entretaining than shenmue , sega fanboys and yu suzuki worshipers won' t get it.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 09:17
Shenmue2 is awesome so is Fahrenheit.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 16:18
GTA3 was technically brilliant but the game itself sucked ass. Vice City was rubbish and San Andreas was technically brilliant on PS2 but was still rubbish.

Liberty City Stories is another technical marvel, ...this time on PSP, ...but it' s still awful.

Now, Shenmue is good. Hell, Shemue is great, i love it. It' s not for everybody but it was in it' s time, and still is now a superb game. It has character and you can tell that the people who made it really cared about it, ...it just has that special quality that makes games worth playing again a decade later. And i will!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 17:02
I dislike games where you can' t save anywhere anytime. Somtimes you just dont have time to play straight thru, due to unexpected things happening in reality.

Dumb downed ports. Whether its a hit to the audio/visuals or cutting of features.

Semi-exclusive games.

Semi-exclusive games that dont get anything special except for a slight graphics push after the long wait.

Using high profile actors in a game in hopes for better sales.

GAMES BASED OFF OF POPULAR ANIME

I dont however mind big breasted characters who are half nakes as long as the gameplay is still there.

Dont mind shifty release dates. The game will come, take the time and look at other games you may have otherwise passed up. Publishers tend to force release dates onto developers, the greedy bastards.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 24, 2006 18:53
Well I loved Shenmue, I also really liked Fahrenheit too, though the latter was pretty rushed at the end, awesome game though and I really can' t wait for some kind of sequel or similar formula from the same guys.
Kannon

• Total Posts : 205
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 25, 2006 01:11
The lack of co op.
I mean mostly it can be done. but they don' t want to because it is too much work
Even in games where it just seems like it won' t work it can
just don' t make it a requirement.
That' s what Halo brought in recent times.
Look how these games did it:
Sonic 2- Adventure
Devil May Cry 3
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreamcast
Can' t think of anymore right now

Lord of the Ring Third Age

Even Metroid prime could have done it (though harder to Work out)
But with the added power of the Rev they can if they try
wait they could just have done in room by room

GTA: SA the whole reason my brother bought it is co op (and exploration)

Rpgs with dual controller support is simple enough

yes also Shenmue could have but it wouldn' t have made sense but it doesn' t
have to. it is not a Requirement in the game

It was done in Legend of Oasis and it work very well even tough it didn' t make sense

Oh and in regards to Shenmue you probaly were expecting GTA 3 up freedom weren' t you? I think alot of people were. Shenmue is story driven and the search is the main part of both story and gameplay...
Xtreme

• Total Posts : 272
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 25, 2006 04:12
Using high profile actors in a game in hopes for better sales.

I agree!
Kannon

RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 25, 2006 05:15
The lack of bots
In games with multiplayer why do they want to leave out bots
in some games they have them but in 4 player they are no longer
available. Just because 4 people are playing doesn' t mean you don' t want bots to
play against co op.
Kannon

RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 25, 2006 06:03
Bad night and darkness lighting

sometimes I think these people either never been in the dark
or they just stare at the Sun all day.

Want to see proper moonlit night sceen or one with the lights turned out
with a miniscule light source eluminating the environment properly..

locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: the dumbest things in video games - Apr 25, 2006 09:58
A lot of the things you guys complain about are due to technical restraints.
They often remove bots when you play split screen because you just doubled the amount of stuff on screen and it would slow unplayably slow with bots. (A good example is Unreal Tournament on Dreamcast and especially PS2)
For Halo 1 and 2 they had to specially design the levels so that they could remove things like foliage and tons of other detail from the level and have less detailed player models, weapons, pretty much everything in the game when you have split screen. Halo 1 and 2 are amoung very few games that put in the extremely large amount of effort into doing this. Quake 3 on Dreamcast also did an excellent job with this.

People have shitty TVs so they don' t make night as dark or as bright during the day as it should be or the hardware isn' t powerful enough to have realistic lighting.

Levels can' t go on as far as you can see because of memory and other hardware limitations. That is why the put invisible walls and steep cliffs all over the place.
It takes a clever level designer to do it right.

They sell games at the price that makes them the most money. They know what they are doing with the prices.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 32 of 32

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message