Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Which current Gen system do you like best?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 43
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 01, 2006 21:20
my fav console is the xbox.

the reason ?

the controller (type S) feels like a dreamcast pad, crazy taxi 3, outrun 2, and the more clean crisp graphics. also this console gives me the best " sega feelings" compared to the current gen consoles.

the dreamcast itself is also still exelent, and will never be sold, but i can not deny the fact that not all the games where arcade perfect. daytona for instance has really touchy controlls. even after some adjusting on the analogue stick it was improved a bit, but kept on being to responsive. nonetheless, the dreamcast has games that keep me playing, so its a stayer.

playstation 2 has ofcourse also exelent games. i prefer prince of persia on the ps2 becouse of the controller is exelent for this kind of games. and games like gran turismo will never release on other consoles.

i wonder from the new generation witch console will appeal to me more. so far, i love the controller from the xbox 360 even more than the controller type S, but have never played on a other next gen console, so i will hold my judgement on that one :D
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 01, 2006 23:54
Hmm, I have decided to choose the Nintendo Gamecube as my favourite console of this generation.
It has the greatest controller so far.
It has lots of great games, most of them from Nintendo themselves of course.
It doesn' t support DVD-playback or other media shit which I love because I buy consoles to play games.
The Metroid Prime and Zelda games are more than enough reasons to buy a GC.
Fast loading times.
Great graphics and price.
GBA connectivity.
Smallest console so far in its original size.
Very silent.

< Message edited by ginjirou -- 1 Feb 06 15:55:32 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 03:47
Dreamcast AAA/AA titles

Dead or alive 2
Rayman 2
Soul calibur
24 Heures Du Mans
Crazy Taxi
Jet Set Radio
Legacy Of Kain : Soul Reaver
Metropolis Street Racer Course
NBA 2K Sport
Phantasy Star Online
Quake 3 Arena Action
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Sport
Sega GT Course
Shenmue
Shenmue 2
Skies Of Arcadia
Virtua Tennis
Virtua Tennis 2
4 Wheel Thunder Course
Alone In The Dark : The New Nightmare
Chu Chu Rocket
Ecco The Dolphin
F355 Challenge Course
Grandia 2
Marvel Vs Capcom
Mdk 2
NBA 2K2
Power Stone 2
Re-Volt Course
Resident Evil : Code Veronica
Sega Rally 2
Shadow Man
The House Of The Dead 2 Action
The Nomad Soul
Tony Hawk' s Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk' s Skateboarding
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX
Dynamite Cop Action
Evil Twin : Cyprien' s Chronicles
Formula One World Grand Prix
Headhunter
Marvel Vs Capcom 2
Phantasy Star Online Ver.2
Power Stone
Project Justice
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2
Samba De Amigo
Sega Extreme Sports
Soldier Of Fortune
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Starlancer
Tee Off Sport
Toy Commander Action
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Vanishing Point Course
Vigilante 8 : Second Offense

PS2 (AAA/AA) games

Metal Gear Solid 2
Metal Gear Solid 3 : Snake Eater
Prince Of Persia : sands of time
Resident Evil 4
Soul Calibur 2
Soul Calibur 3
Ico
shadow of the colosseus
Dragon quest 8
Final Fantasy 10
Final Fantasy X-2
Splinter Cell
Beyond Good & Evil
God Of War
Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Gran theft auto 3
Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas
Grand Theft Auto : Vice City
Jak And Daxter
Resident Evil : Code Veronica X
Prince Of Persia : Les Deux Royaumes
Pro Evolution (winning eleven) series
Rayman 3 : Hoodlum Havoc
Silent Hill 2
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Tekken 4
Virtua Fighter 4
Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
Burnout 3 : Takedown
Burnout : Revenge
Dead Or Alive 2
Def Jam Fight For NY
Def Jam Vendetta
Devil May Cry
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Project Zero
Project Zero 2
Psychonauts
Hitman
Quake 3 Revolution
Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank 2
Silent Hill 3
Sly 2
Sly 3
Suikoden 3
Zone Of The Enders : The 2nd Runner
XIII
WWE Smackdown
Genji
Maximo
SSX On Tour
Star Ocean : Till The End Of Time
Tekken 5
The Mark Of Kri Combat
nBA street series
Katamri damacy
i love katamri
TimeSplitters 2
TimeSplitters 3
Shadow Hearts : Covenant
Wipeout Fusion
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2
Mercenaries
Gradius V
Tenchu
Virtua Tennis 2
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2
Klonoa 2
the Mans 24 hours
Soul Reaver 2
Kingdom heart
Disgaea : Hour Of Darkness
Deus Ex
Dragon Ball Z : Budokai Tenkaichi
Guilty Gear X 2
king of fighters
madden nfl series
Xenosaga series
Alone In The Dark : The New Nightmare
Baldur' s Gate : Dark Alliance
Baldur' s Gate : Dark Alliance 2
Ratchet & Clank 3
Mortal Kombat deadly alliance

N.B i was somewhat relatively mean to PS2 relatively to DC , i didn' t include for ps2 games like tony hawk dav emira and shit or many other games that are decent , i thought the list might be doubled .... even if you really love arcad games, you might still choose PS2..

who' s the fu***ing fanboy ??? who just scream DC and sega for.....aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh you don' t have to send anyone to kill me gangsta , when i read your post i wanted to kill myself

just answer this question, suppose you never played any current gen game, today you have to choose between two consoles PS2 or DC , what would you choose ??? just tell mee what would you choooose ? and ignore the fact that furtur games will be released on ps2...

callin me fanboy!! ignorant!!
ginjirou

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 03:53
Umm, I think you should only count exclusive titles when listing AAA titles. Only exclusives makes a console worth it.
Pop: sands of time, RE4, Soul Calibur 2, Splinter Cell are just some examples of multi-platform titles. i thought Viewtiful Joe (the first) was only released on the GC. Whatever...
Also, I can' t agree with your list but it' s a matter of preference. But that' s also why you can' t make a list like that. It could work if you choose to only include exclusive titles that has gotten an average press score of at least 8/10.
Tenchu was an AAA title to you? Mortal Kombat DA?Quake 3? Tekken 4? Rayman 3? ...whatever...
Did you forget Socom and Twisted Metal or did I just miss them? And Kengo dammit!
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 1 Feb 06 19:57:08 >
Abasoufiane

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 03:57
oh man i said AAA/AA titles just to avoid this problem of course i don' t think tenchu or rayman an AAA titles but AA yes, secondly i' m comparing DC vs PS2 , not a lot of people own 3 consoles or even 2...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 04:00
Firstly, that was a STUPID post. Gangsta is absolutley right about you.

And i' d rather take...

Dreamcast

over PS2

...anyday of the week, basing it on looks alone.

Nobody' s doubting that PS2 is a great console. Gangsta has one and so do i. But this isn' t about which is better or which had more fuckin triple A titles, it' s about which console YOU like!!!

Dumbass!
ginjirou

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 04:02
Someone didn' t take his chill-pill today... again.
Abasoufiane

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 04:05
i didn' t know that you are talking about the loook loool

oh man i' m wasting my time with you
Nitro

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 04:26

just answer this question, suppose you never played any current gen game, today you have to choose between two consoles PS2 or DC , what would you choose ??? just tell mee what would you choooose ? and ignore the fact that furtur games will be released on ps2...

Correct me if i' m wrong, and i' m English so i won' t be wrong because we spawned the language being used here, ....if you want people to compare the two consoles but suppose they never played any of those respective consoles games, then how else would you like them to choose one of the other?

Why the fuck are you even comparing the consoles? This thread isn' t even about that. I couldn' t give a fuck about you and your AA/AAA fuckin AAAA titles. Not everybody likes the same stuff y' know, it' s called individuality and requires a personality, which you evidently don' t!

Prat!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 05:53
Awright guys, i think we all need to step away for a bit and regain our cool before the mod' s shut us down for being 2 year olds. c' mon now it' s an opinion, not facts, believe whatever you want, but for pete' s sake don' t try and continually impose your own gaming beliefs onto others.
but as for my favorite console... i don' t have one. i like games, not consoles, i' m not a sony fetish freak, i' m not an Xbox fanatic and I' m not a gamer who has a crippling reliance to nintendo. if there are good titles for a console, i' ll pick it up. not the other way around. this whole, i' ll pick up a next gen, and hope to high heaven that the launch titles blow me away stuff is a little dodgy. now granted, i' ve liked almost every launch title for 360, but the fanboy stuff is a little overkill to me.
Nitro

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 06:31
Man, get over to gametrailers.com and check out the Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter dev diary 2. It' s a mixture of new footage (which looks superbly crisp and detailed running on 360) and the muppet lead programmer talking about the armour the characters wear. It' s worth the HD download just to see it as it should be played on 360!

http://www.gametrailers.com/e3_2k5_xb360.php?p=&letter=&start=15
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 1 Feb 06 22:32:28 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 07:42
Adding to my original response, I have to say that the two hardware platforms that interest me the most this gen on a *technical level* are the Dreamcast and the PlayStation 2.

The Dreamcast was a very well-designed piece of hardware that made possible some fantastic looking 2D and 3D games, as well as excellent Model 3 ports. Model 3 Step 2 was a tougher beast to tackle but it did a pretty admirable job with some of the conversions... When Dead or Alive 2 was first shown as a NAOMI/Dreamcast game it blew me away, even moreso than Soul Calibur.

And I know many won' t agree with this but the game that impressed me the most with its fantastic graphics was Ecco the Dolphin for the Dreamcast. That game raised the bar and since then no other game released on ANY platform was ever able to impress me on that level, not even Dead or Alive 4. In fact, the Dreamcast was the console that made it so later games on other platforms didn' t impress me as much. I remember going absolutely ape $hitte over the Texture maps in Sonic Adventure, lol. And regardless of how much I HATE Zombie Revenge, I was impressed by the incredibly clean visuals of the arcade version -- displayed on standard NAOMI monitors, not those other crappy ass arcade monitors.

The PS2 hardware to me is quite the enigma compared to the other platforms. Being the only one with a 128-bit CPU, along with other custom parts, I' ve always been a bit fascinated by what and how this thing works. While others may be surprised by what developers are able to pull off on it, it never surprises me as I feel the unit still has unrealized potential. In reading some tech talk about the unit, on a number of occasions I' ve come across comments about how the PS2 is better at PARTICLE effects than even the Xbox, and also recently read somewhere how it has some massive bandwidth, even approaching the levels of the Xbox 360. Don' t know how accurate those claims are but it' s still incredibly fascinating to me.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 08:04
Yeah I totally agree - I' ve bben lately talking to my cousin a gamer just like me and we agreed that nothing shocked us more with it' s next gen looks than some games for DC.

Dead or Alive 2 - DC version - still my favourite (they fucked up LEON lately) was so amazing at that time that it seemed impossible.Noone expected that huge leap I guess.Sonic was so crisp ...and colorful ...damn.Then the first fully cel shaded game - JEt Set/Grind Radio.Shenmue (that games looks fantastic even today).

Games where incredibly detailed , crisp , and clean all at the same time.Fast loading times and gorgeus looks combining oldschool with nextgen.

PS2 has muddy textures mostly , isn' t clean (far from it) but it does have some details lately :) - looked like crap to me at first - but then Xbox came out hehe.Now the PS2 slim version kicks ass.

Xbox - a bit blurry games (I guess it' s the full scene anti aliasing) , some very sharp - I think that system has a lot of games with poor " color palette" .Games seem a bit grey to me (with many exceptions mostly from Japanese Devs).
I hate both controllers for buttons and lack of " ergonomy" .
The best Audio quality system.The most PClike software on console ever.

GCN - looked silly untill black and then (beautiful) silver edition (Panasonic Q was the best looking piece of electronics I' ve ever seen) came out.Graphics are in my opinion the best on GCN (Metroid,RE4,Starfox Adventures,Wind Waker,Resident 1 and 0,Rouge Squadron and so on).It combines the power of (almost) Xbox with fantastic design of PS2 games.

It definitely lacks mediocre games (which many call 3rd party support) but I don' t play crap like that. :)
Nitro

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 08:52
Yeah the Gamecube version of RE4 easily surpassed anything on Xbox (although Chaos Theory looked extremely impressive on Xbox and crap on Gamecube). I have both versions (GC & PS2) and i would buy a 360 port if they released it. It' s probably my favourite game...
< Message edited by Majikdra6on -- 2 Feb 06 0:52:43 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 09:28

The PS2 hardware to me is quite the enigma compared to the other platforms. I' ve always been a bit fascinated by what and how this thing works.

I' m totally blown away by the fact that it works, too! It' s like taking a Dodge engine, a Ford transmission, a Chevy frame and putting it all together with duct tape and the most expensive super glue you can find and actually getting an automobile that runs.

the Gamecube version of RE4 easily surpassed anything on Xbox

Not from my perspective. You see, I have an HDTV. Resident Evil 4, as awesome as it was, did not have true widescreen. Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube has a screen resolution of about 640x360. There are tons of true widescreen games on the Xbox (and Gamecube and even the PS2) that have a resolution of 640x480 or 720x480 which is then stretched out to a 16:9 aspect ratio resulting in a much sharper picture in widescreen. Also, the Gamecube cannot do anything above 480p (though it has way more games that run in 480p than the PS2 does) and it cannot do 5.1 sound. It can fake it with Dolby Pro Logic II, but that is really only a poor man' s 5.1 and doesn' t really compare to the real thing.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 2 Feb 06 1:30:25 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 10:14
Pwning nubs pwns.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 21:38

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

...and it cannot do 5.1 sound. It can fake it with Dolby Pro Logic II, but that is really only a poor man' s 5.1 and doesn' t really compare to the real thing.

Joe. What is the best surround sound out right now? I' ve got an amp that does a LOT of surround modes, and it lets me choose, but I don' t know what the f*ck the difference is! Dolby, DTS, DTS: Neo! What the hell....!?
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 02, 2006 23:52
DTS has better channel separation (than DD) - that' s what they say.The best sound is definitely the DTS.

Some xbox games make incredible use of 5.1 sound (DOOM3) and then there' s the rest - about 90%.Dolby Prologic II is as good as most Xbox games DolbyDigital - which doesn' t mean that it' s a great solution , only that Xbox games have poor 5.1 :)

I hope this new generation puts my amp to a really good use.

Who cares if GCN has a lower resolution than 3-5 Xbox games? It' s not supposed to be HD anyway.Why would I care what resolution it runs in if it looks gorgeous?

Console gamers are becoming what PC freaks have been for years - Not graphics whores but specs morons.

Nitro

RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 03, 2006 00:26
Yeah even despite the difference in resolution i still think the Gamecube version of Resident Evil 4 looks better than pretty much all Xbox games.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Which current Gen system do you like best? - Feb 03, 2006 05:12
DTS does not have better channel separation than Dolby Digital. What it does have is less compression. However this does not automatically mean better sound. Quite often on commercial DVDs the DTS sound mix is about 3 or 4 db louder (or even more sometimes) than the Dolby Digital mix. Why? Because the master used for the DTS was mixed that way. They could have mixed the Dolby Digital that way and it would be 3 or 4 db louder as well. If you have the SAME EXACT MIX and encode it in both Dolby Digital and DTS and switch back and forth, you will not be able to tell the difference unless you have an extremely dead room and trillion dollar speakers. Both codecs are very good. The difference between DD and DTS is like the difference between MP3 and AAC.

Usually your receiver will choose for you if you have a digital signal. Whatever the game system or DVD player or whatever outputs is what the receiver should switch to automatically if it is worth more than 10 cents. For analog sound like the Gamecube, just leave it on Dolby Pro Logic (or Dolby Pro Logic II) at all times. In Dolby Digital mode, you may have the option for Dolby Digital EX. If you have back surround speakers in addition to the left and right surrounds, turn it on and leave it on (in other words, you need a total of 8 speakers including the subwoofer to take advantage of EX). If you only have left and right surrounds and no back surrounds (ie: 5 speakers and a subwoofer), leave it off. DTS-ES is the same thing as Dolby Diigtal EX except that some ES soundtracks have a discrete back surround whereas Dolby Digital EX fakes it.

Doom 3 didn' t have a great sound mix in my opinion. In fact it was rather average for a 1st person shooter. I don' t remember any discrete subwoofer (people with wimpy sound systems usually have the low end from their main channels routed to the sub so they will THINK they are getting subwoofer noise). Halo 2 was mixed pretty poorly as well. Good mixes are Gun Valkyrie and especially Burnout Revenge. Both feature a true, discrete subwoofer channel and a center channel. Dolby Pro Logic II can' t come anywhere close to Xbox Burnout Revenge.

By the way, I do sound mixes myself in both DTS and Dolby Digital. I encode from the same multi-channel master in the best bitrate of each codec. Once all is said and done, there is usually no audible difference between Dolby Digital and DTS at all. Remeber, this is coming from aguy who has working experience with both formats... ME.

Dolby Digital does seem to play a bit more smoothly, though... as in it doesn' t tend to have a giant pause at the layer change on many players/receivers.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 2 Feb 06 21:16:42 >
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 43

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread