Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan?
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 65
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 04:26
ADAM!!!! What is your take on 360 in Japan?!
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 05:17

ORIGINAL: mastachefbkw
it didnt have a dvd player.

The xbox1 did and it didnt exactly do too well tho! The PS2 killed the DC with hype and timing alone.

If you were a developer and you had to choose a platform to release a title onto which would take you 2 years to develop would you:

a). Release it onto a 2 year old console (which would be end of life in 4 years)

b). Wait for the shiny new PS2.

Anyways... ADAM!!!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:04

The xbox1 did and it didnt exactly do too well tho! The PS2 killed the DC with hype and timing alone.

The Dreamcast struggled in Japan way before the PS2 was announced
Japan has shown that is can support more than one console, you just have to give them a good reason to

the DC failed because it didnt have a dvd player.

Yet the Dreamcast without a DVD player did WAYYYYYYYYYYYY better in sales on a weekly basis than both the Xbox and Xbox360 COMBINED, and both of them have DVD players
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 22 Aug 06 22:06:15 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:14
Terry when will you change the score for N3?

It' s not that i really care,but 90% of the members on this site want it to have 8/10 or 9/10,NOW.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:14

had like miniture dolls of kasumi, ayane, tina...well all the doa girls I think...is that obsessive do you think?.

...I have Spawn and Ryu from strret fighter...am I obsessed? :)

I like Kasumi..a lot :)
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:26

I like Kasumi..a lot :)

And all this time, I had you down as polish..
< Message edited by Tiz -- 22 Aug 06 22:26:53 >
]GaNgStA[

RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:48
For a human being I am extremely polished :)
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:49
Polish people can' t behave when watching fotball.
]GaNgStA[

RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 06:55
We can' t play football either

You should see those crazy british fanatics watching their favourite game :)
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 07:35
We had a few Polish people over to work on our House the last day.

Its good to have land.
dasher232

• Total Posts : 1729
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 07:43

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

We had a few Polish people over to work on our House the last day.

Its good to have land.

One of my friends is polish and I swear the guy is always on a high I worry sometimes though cos iv' e never actually seen him sad or upset....even when his gran died he looked happy...
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 07:45

ORIGINAL: dasher232

One of my friends is polish and I swear the guy is always on a high I worry sometimes though cos iv' e never actually seen him sad or upset....even when his gran died he looked happy...

Could he have done it?
dasher232

RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 07:48

ORIGINAL: Tiz

ORIGINAL: dasher232

Could he have done it?

Lol nah she had cancer or something uncureable anyway.
]GaNgStA[

RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 07:51
what a thread it has become :)
dasher232

RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 07:54

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

what a thread it has become :)

I know it seems to be the pattern these days.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 08:51

ORIGINAL: Terry Bogard

The Dreamcast struggled in Japan way before the PS2 was announced
Japan has shown that is can support more than one console, you just have to give them a good reason to

Trouble yes, but initial sales were still pretty strong, but I remember on launch in the UK 80% of the gaming public comming out with negative or neutral comments because they knew there was " something" comming from Sony, but still we sold and sold them till we had none left!

Mind you at the time I was working part time in GAME while finishing UNi - I won a sealed DC from SEGA themselves for fulfilling the most preorders in the country!

In fact, I was drumming up business running my import DC in the window, and even photoshopping together my own POS... dear god I was passionate about my games then... I think it was 235 I pre ordered, with next nearest having 50 or so.

We held a party at midnight with drinks, and an open challenge to me on Soul Calibur... i never lost a match, but a good time was had by all. It was defo a happy launch!!

It' s quite funny, even though we had PS2 devkits in the studio at the time we all crowded into the games lounge for the latest Jap DC titles to thrash. I remember a comment of a colleague so clearly..

" This is a great little console, a really good effort. But we are not worried in the slightest (Sony), when we launch everyone will turn to us and it will die... They wont try again..."

That colleague is now a producer at EA Vancouver, so he must have been doing some things right! (dammit where did I go wrong!?! - Oh yeah, moving house and country every few years, was no longer up my street!

Still, I' m planning an understated return to the industry after my programme has established its roots as one of the best courses in the Uni...

Speaking of Uni - Maj - are you due any results? I' m marking re-sits at the mo!

< Message edited by musashi -- 23 Aug 06 0:51:32 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 09:14
Not real results. I have no exams per say as it' s a BA not a BSC, but i had 2 timed assessments and a presentation to do. The rest was coursework and luckily i passed all of my modules bar 3D modelling (because i suck and didn' t finish my project). But i really have to concentrate this year because my time off the year previous really affected my work ethic for the 2005/2006 term.

I probably spent more time last year making contacts and trying to get a job than i did working which has turned out to be a double edged sword in that while i now know people, i dont know them well enough to be able to rely on them for anything (with one or two exceptions) and my work suffered as a result of my time travelling and skipping lectures to attend meetings.

I' ve always maintained that this isn' t the course for me but it' ll get me where i want to go and so i' m sticking to it.

The funny thing is that i' ve spent so much time bothering people and going to see people in the UK, and yet i' m still planning on moving to Canada. Sometimes i really don' t know what i' m doing and other times everything seems clear as day.

Who knows, perhaps games journalism would suit me better.

How many students will you have this year?!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 09:58

Trouble yes, but initial sales were still pretty strong, but I remember on launch in the UK 80% of the gaming public comming out with negative or neutral comments because they knew there was " something" comming from Sony, but still we sold and sold them till we had none left!

It depends on what territory you' re talking about.. The Dreamcast sold around 160,000 units at launch in Japan. The massive shortage REALLY hurt them. By comparison the Sega Saturn absolutely DESTROYED the Dreamcast in terms of weekly sales performance in Japan.

The Dreamcast sold record breaking numbers at launch in the U.S. AND it took the U.S. several WEEKS to sell 1 million units whereas it took Japan over 1 YEAR to do the same.

I have no idea what the initial launch figures were for the Dreamcast in the UK, but when all was said and done, I recall it did about as well as the Saturn did there.

Terry when will you change the score for N3?

If I had the power to change the score, I would LOWER it. Be happy with the 4.0 it got, LOL

*runs*
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 23 Aug 06 2:47:11 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 10:37
Do you guys have any idea what the games on 360 looks like in Japan? If I was Japanese and spoke only Japanese i would never buy a 360. Many of the cool westernized games that we get don' t exist in Japanese. And when they do get them its always late.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: What need MS to do about 360' s situation in Japan? - Aug 23, 2006 11:11
Small quibble. Does 360 looks the most Japanese now? It' s going for an almost iPod-ish ' minimalist-circly' look. It' s a sleek white color, very Zen-ish. I can see it fitting quite all right in most Japanese home stylings.

Wii is a bit boring, but that Wiimote gives the Japanese all that eccentric, innovative, wackiness they want.

Now, PS3. It' s a grill. Buy it in silver and people think it' s a coat steamer. Its roundish look makes it seem more prone to falling and killing people than the original Xbox. Small children beware.

If basing just plainly on looks, I' d say PS3 is REALLY not going to appeal to Japanese. The thing going for it is really the branding, plus the Sony company name.

PS: I' m shocked that Xboxes are still being sold in Japan o_0
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 65

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread