Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why??
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 15, 2005 04:24
I think Splinter Cell would be Number 1 for many people if it had a more charismatic hero, a much better scenario and cut scenes made with the in game engine like in MGS... that would make the franchise more popular than ever but why still devlopers don' t get it ...
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 15, 2005 06:06
Im mostly a splinter cell person, its really great games. I like MGS as well, i played Twin Snakes for GCN, and i played MGS 2, on xbox, though it bugged on me, so i didnt complete it, thinking of doing another run on it.. but i havent taken the time yet
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 15, 2005 06:29
You have angered the mighty Rampage! This is your opinion, but I' m about to contradict everything you just said.

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

I think Splinter Cell would be Number 1 for many people if it had a more charismatic hero, a much better scenario and cut scenes made with the in game engine like in MGS... that would make the franchise more popular than ever but why still devlopers don' t get it ...

1-Sam Fisher pwns Snake. Sure snake knows Kung Fu and has a rocket launcher but he doesn' t hang from a pipe and reach down to slice someones kneck open! Sam has so many cool moves it' s baffling. I also think Sam looks far cooler and has a much more realistic personality. I can relate to Sam much more than I can relate to Snake. Oh, and Sam' s voice makes Snake look like a wimp.

2-Better scenerio?! Sure you may like going up against a 60 foot nuclear monster but personally I like the fact that Splinter Cell is grounded in realism. Not to mention every moment of Splinter Cell has me gripping my controller like there' s no tomorrow. the game keeps you so tense! Oh, and when I kill someone, they are dead. You don' t have a freakin endless hoard of soldiers that never stop respawning. Both games have you saving the world. I just like that SC does it in a far more realistic way.

3-Why do I want a ton of cutscenes!? Games are meant to be played, not watched. While I did love the cutscenes the MGS games had to offer, by the end of MGS2 I was completely fed up with them. With SC I' m the one doing the cool moves. I' m controlling the character as events are happening. I like the fact that I' m playing the game.

4-Developers don' t get it?... Ubisoft > Kanomi. Imo, Ubi is one of the greatest developers out their. They have a more solid selection and high quality games than just about any developer out there. Imo, Splinter Cell kills MGS in just about every way. The only MGS I really enjoyed was the first MGS on the PS1. the last two just didn' t do it for me. Riaden sucked ass, and MGS3 didn' t hold my attention for more than 6 hours. When I get a Splinter Cell game I can' t put it down. I' ve beaten the first one around 20 times now. The second one around 10 and I' m going through SC3 for my 6th time right now.The only game I play more than SC is Halo.

I' m not going to go through and explain all of the greatness that is Splinter Cell right now because I' m tired from watching Advent Children 3 times last night. If you want to read how much I like it do a search on Splinter Cell and my name. You' ll find pages on top of pages about me preaching about SC.

Again, everything stated above was my opinion, but my opinion about SC pwns.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 17, 2005 20:08
i like the MGS series more.i like the crazy cut scenes,the story,and the gameplay more than the splinter cell series
Auron

• Total Posts : 157
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 18, 2005 02:06
Both have their strong points, but I' d say I' m more of a fan of the MGS series. I just find it to be more fun, plus I' m a huge fan of story driven games. I completely disagree with the comments about Sam being uncharismatic though, his dark sense of humour rules!
< Message edited by Auron -- 18 Sep 05 10:10:52 >
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 18, 2005 06:17
hm...

Splinter cell.
But it depend on the mood,i love the crazy story in MGS games
I like splinter cell more just because it feels more realistic and i always wanted a game like that.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 19, 2005 01:16
I really liked SC 1 but it still was buggy and wasn' t quite as smooth as MGS gameplay but it was much more complex

the story of MGS2 is really awesome untill it gets hopeless at the end but SC doeasn' t really have a story - you always (from SC 1-3) have some sort of political conflict that makes an " OK" background but is delivered in poorly directed cutscenes and you don' t play for the story.

Sam Vs Snake? Snake anytime - that voice plus voice-acting and the background since MGS1 - Sam fisher is your everyday Bad Ass Commando who knows it all plus has some funky lines -cool but not quite Snake.In fact bosses in MGS have much better creations than SC' s main hero.

Gameplay - it' s much more complex in SC and much more realistic (with some stupid things like enemies that take many many shots before they die like plastic toys or can hit you with 100% accuracy even when you' re moving in 100% dark area plus some buggy stuff) but it' s almost the same since SC1 with some new moves.
MGS is a smooth AAA console gameplay experience with cool boss fights and awesome minigames.

The thing is those to games are not the same category and have different goals.I' d rather play MGS than SC anytime since it' s not only a great game but it always delivers that awesome feeling of a high production value and gameplay.

Still SC is fun although I don' t like that it' s now less about stealth because you can kill a guy and the other one standing not so far won' t even notice him fallin on the floor or screaming when he' s stabbed.You can try stealh stuff but why would you if it so much easier without it and you don' t get punished when the alarms go off - you just get some target shooting.
Rampage99

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 19, 2005 05:54
Bah, obviously you people never played SC3. If you did, you weren' t good at it.
]GaNgStA[

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 19, 2005 12:29
Actually I did and still I think what I think - try some VooDoo stuff if you' re having so much problems forcing your point of view :)
QuezcatoL

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 19, 2005 15:24
And you might need some as well,trying to convince us that NR controller is really all " that" .
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 19, 2005 16:12
SC and SC:PT were both good games but at that time I still liked MGS better. However when SC3 came out it changed my opinion of it for good. It really is one of the most riveting games I have played. I like the fact that the storyline of SC3 isn' t too fantastical to believe. When I play a stealth game - I want realism, and SC3 delivered it.

Still SC is fun although I don' t like that it' s now less about stealth because you can kill a guy and the other one standing not so far won' t even notice him fallin on the floor or screaming when he' s stabbed.You can try stealh stuff but why would you if it so much easier without it and you don' t get punished when the alarms go off - you just get some target shooting.

Try playing SC3 on the hardest difficulty. If you try that, you' ll get your ass handed to you in a showbag. If you havn' t played SC3 on max difficulty, you havn' t really experienced anything at all.

Oh and IMO Sam is so much cooler than Snake
]GaNgStA[

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 20, 2005 07:15
I' m playing now on Expert difficulty - it does change the experience - hard doesn' t do it - It is much better thanks for info :)

Still I prefer MGS :)
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 20, 2005 14:21
I prefer the Splinter Cell franchise. I don' t really care for Metal Gear. To me, the characters are WAY too outlandish. The voice actors ham it up a little too much for me, also. Don' t even get me going on the stories! They' re so ubsurd, it' s funny! Even the names of the bad guys are laughable.

Splinter Cell, on the other hand, ratchets up the tension in the games with extremely realistic scenarios. Some may feel the realism is boring, but I feel that it enhances the immersion. The graphics are also a big selling point. SC is on another level, if you ask me.

I did enjoy the original Metal Gear, on the NES, though.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 20, 2005 17:40

ORIGINAL: ]GaNgStA[

I' m playing now on Expert difficulty - it does change the experience - hard doesn' t do it - It is much better thanks for info :)

Still I prefer MGS :)

No worries. I' ve found that the real merit of most games isn' t even shown unless you play it on a hard difficulty. Halo was a prime example of this and playing on legendary enhanced the overall experience that I got from it.
Rampage99

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 20, 2005 19:38
Yeah, Halo was meant to be played on Legendary. Halo2 on the other hand destroyed what made Legendary good in the first game. the first game on Legendary felt real. Everything was balanced as true to life as possible. With Halo2 it' s in no way realistic. When the marines can handle 50 hits from a plasma rifle and MC can only handle three there is something gravely wrong.
Ak1ra

• Total Posts : 13
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 22, 2005 03:23
MGS! It' s simply more fun: great story, great characters, great music...

and Rampage99, if you need so much realism why don' t you try living a bit?
Rampage99

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 22, 2005 06:11
Why is it my luck that people just pop into this forum to insult me? I do " live" kid. I have a very active life. You know nothing about me. Hell, that' s your first post. You don' t need to bother coming back. Making your first post an insult isn' t a good way to get a good first impression.
Jartsu

• Total Posts : 16
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 22, 2005 07:13
I got into medal gear solid on the ps one back in the day. I played the shit out of that game. I loved that game and every night me and medal gear solid would have a quite chat about our day and then cuddle for a few hours before heading of into dream land....wait sorry off track again. The series messes with my head. I really love how Hideo tried in one and two to break the fourth wall of video games and realize itself.....does this make sense to anyone else? I tried to get into SC as well when the first one game out. But the gameplay was a little too complex for me...(I think maybe I am just lazy) and I got stuck and ended up returning my stolen copy to the game store I used to work at....I think that if I spent more time with sc I would get into it but hideo did have a point at the release of his teaser for mgs4 at E3 when he had snake wearing the magical trinoculars....(which by the way the creators of the sc franchise came out in an interview stating that the glowing head band thingy could never exist in real life....for all you realists)....of the subject again...so the guy takes off the goggles and Snake is there...suprise...so hideo is just saying that he basically invented this genre and he should get props where props are due....maybe a one handed raise the roof at least....;)
QuezcatoL

RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 22, 2005 07:23
Metal gear gaved me stealth game that i always wanted,i mean we always loved playing hide' n seek when we was youn ^^ and the story and plot is just so fukking amazing i love it.
Its crazy but cool.
But Splinter cell,has what i always wanted more,something " realistic" .
You really feel like a true spy.And i love the actions and the movement sam does,and the things that you always thought about,like turning of lights shooting out lamps etc,hide bodies and so on.
Yes you can do it in mgs but not as much and it doesn' t feel so real.
Also the control in splinter cell is much better then mgs if you ask me.
So is the graphic.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Splinter cell series or MGS series ?? and why?? - Sep 22, 2005 17:13

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Why is it my luck that people just pop into this forum to insult me? I do " live" kid. I have a very active life. You know nothing about me. Hell, that' s your first post. You don' t need to bother coming back. Making your first post an insult isn' t a good way to get a good first impression.

LOL

Wow! Can you imagine going through that whole registration process, just to come in and insult someone? Talk about not having a life!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 34

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message